PDA

View Full Version : JBL LS80, what can you say about them?

lofi-ear
11-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Greetings.
Has anybody heard these speakers? They were tagged in a local HIFI magazine as a "good buy", yet I can find very little info about them on the net (audioreviews has no reviews at all). I wonder how they would compare with my current Ti10k's, they are both in the same price range.

johnaec
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Here's a long thread/discussion we recently had on the new LS series : http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21964

JBL European link to LS: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=LS&Language=ENG&Country=DK&Region=EUROPE

Unfortunately, it appears no one here has actually been able to listen to any yet - and JBL doesn't even have them listed as available in the US - at least you're in Europe.

If I could get a complete LS setup, even just for stereo, center, and 2 subs, I would probably be at a point where much more audio pursuit would be over for me...'time to just listen...

John

timc
11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi.

I have done some listening to the LS80's. They are ok, but in my oppinion they lack quite a bit in resolution and details. And the, for JBL, small 8 inch woofers doesnt provide the massive thundering low end you get from larger/older models, like say the 240Ti.

Compared to the Array series they are nothing. Way way better then the Studio L's though.

I have not tested, but my guess is that the performance series is a better choice. Maybe TiDome can comment on that.

-Tim

johnaec
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I have not tested, but my guess is that the performance series is a better choice. Maybe TiDome can comment on that.I actually have the Performance series, except I've ended up with the L8400P's
for subs due to lack of finding some PS1400's. They're OK, but I find I still listen to the 4430's more. I'd still like to hear the LS series.

John

timc
11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I have not tried any of the 43xx or 44xx :(

However the L65 wipes the floor with the LS series.

The LS is not bad compared to similar priced competitors, they just don't measure up to the more classic JBL design philosphy. Other might disagree with me but hey, we are all different :)

-Tim

johnaec
11-13-2008, 03:44 PM
However the L65 wipes the floor with the LS series.Hmmm - I've been through two sets of L65's - now you've got me concerned... Still, I can't imagine them not opening up with those big subs included as part of the system, (I know they're extra).

John

timc
11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I havent heard them with subs. Could make the difference.

-Tim

Titanium Dome
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Haven't heard the LS, so can't say. :( Maybe someday.

As for the Performance Series vs. 4430, I have the Performance Series in my home for serious listening, and the 4430s are in my office for background music. I guess John and I are 180 degrees on that. ;)

4313B
01-18-2009, 08:57 AM
However the L65 wipes the floor with the LS series.That's a truly terrifying prospect...

BMWCCA
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
That's a truly terrifying prospect...
:rotfl:

hjames
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
That's a truly terrifying prospect...

Git w'tha plan, G!
Ain't nuttin' like them vintage speakers ...
L65 hail - you really need that $3k L200 for your base ... :blink:

Bean all downhill since those All Tech 604s like Les Paul uses ...

:bs:

he he he ... And a fine good mornin' to you!

4313B
01-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Git w'tha plan, G!
Ain't nuttin' like them vintage speakers ...My bad. :p

BMWCCA
01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Bean all downhill since those All Tech 604s like Les Paul uses ...I know you all are just kiddin' around but I feel compelled to remind you I pointed out in another thread about the Tom Dowd "Language of Music" DVD that it clearly shows Les Paul's workshop and studio with him in front of a pair of 4412As. :banana:

hjames
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I know you all are just kiddin' around but I feel compelled to remind you I pointed out in another thread about the Tom Dowd "Language of Music" DVD that it clearly shows Les Paul's workshop and studio with him in front of a pair of 4412As. :banana:

Ack, my BAD - its an All Tech Iconic (820) not a 604!!

Don McRitchie (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=1) trumps us all!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17490&highlight=Les+paul+Altec

jblsound
01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi.

I have done some listening to the LS80's. They are ok, but in my oppinion they lack quite a bit in resolution and details. And the, for JBL, small 8 inch woofers doesnt provide the massive thundering low end you get from larger/older models, like say the 240Ti.

Compared to the Array series they are nothing. Way way better then the Studio L's though.

I have not tested, but my guess is that the performance series is a better choice. Maybe TiDome can comment on that.

-Tim
You're comparing apple to oranges. The reasons the LS has 8" drivers are, first, they're more/less midbass drivers, which means using subs, as with all HT systems.
All pre HT JBL speakers, except L212, are full range speakers.

I would hope the Arrays are better than the LS, quite a bit of difference in price and technology.
As to which is better, PS or LS, one could only decide by having both systems in the same room. Something I'd like to try. And then its still A/O as the PS is a dome tweeter system and the LS is horn loaded compression driver system.

One advantage the PS has, imo, is having identical speakers all around, especially for MC music. You could have a LS system with the same speakers all around, but the LS doesn't have the flexibility of the PT800s as to installation.

mike
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Since you guys are mentioning the L65......A few months ago I bought a pair of L65 Jubals off of craigslist. I couldn't resist buying them because they were in such nice shape. My initial thoughts on getting them were that I really wanted them because I always liked the way they look and the workmanship/build quality, and I probably would never have the opportunity to find a clean pair locally again. On the other hand my sonic sensibilities told me that hearing them again and comparing them to better designs or more modern speakers would reveal a lot of flaws. To my surprise I find them to be pretty good. With the mid and tweeter adjusted to the -2 or -3 dB position they are pretty well balanced. They actually image fairly well even though the driver layout would imply otherwise. They seem to image much better than other JBL speakers from the same era that had a similiar driver layout and weren't mirror imaged; why I don't know. While the 077 is arguably overkill for a smaller speaker like the L65 the upper octaves have speed, detail and an "airiness" that is uncommon. I know the placement which they were designed for isn't ideal but it also seems to keep the 077 from eating into your ears as they are sometimes accused of. Bass is acceptable though not really what you would call tight or accurate. Dynamics are still excellent even by today's standard. I do tend to think they require a good amp not to sound harsh.

Mike

speakerdave
02-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I think you've described it pretty well. When I had mine I found that toeing the speakers in so that the axis crossed in front of the listening position delayed the ear fry somewhat. Also getting them about a foot off the floor cleaned up the bass substantially. Best used as a campus party speaker in mid winter when the room is filled with tweed draped plump and cheery people estimating their chances.

Mr. Widget
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Best used as a campus party speaker in mid winter when the room is filled with tweed draped plump and cheery people estimating their chances.Now why can't all speaker descriptions be this accurate and entertaining? :applaud:

Widget

Robh3606
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Best used as a campus party speaker in mid winter when the room is filled with tweed draped plump and cheery people estimating their chances.

So which guy were you?? I was over in the corner near the blacklight looking at the babes strole in. Those were the days.

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
So which guy were you?? I was over in the corner near the blacklight looking at the babes strole in. Those were the days.

Rob:)

I was dancing on the bed with the wild-acting girl who actually NEVER DID ANYTHING.

opimax
02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I was behind the light watching Rob talk to the chicks thinking he was going to get some and thinking Dome was going for his 2nd round, munching on as food as I could find making sure no chicks would even look at me

Mark

speakerdave
02-06-2009, 04:33 PM
So which guy were you?? . . . .

I was in the kitchen trying to figure out why the guy sitting on the floor under the bird cage looked so familiar.

Slare
02-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't have the LS series but think they at least look very hot.

The problem I have with them is more of this no midrange driver business in a full size tower. I don't know what's up with JBL thinking this super tweeter makes up for lack of a conventional midrange driver but I am not a fan of it.

Triumph Don
02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Also getting them about a foot off the floor cleaned up the bass substantially. Best used as a campus party speaker in mid winter when the room is filled with tweed draped plump and cheery people estimating their chances.

Oh wow, I still have a pair on a desk in my bedroom at bed level. My college son in Cleveland wants them bad for his dorm to replace his wimpy 10" 3 ways. If he gets 2.9 or better they are his. Guess I an stuck with them for now!

JBLAddict
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
closing the loop on this thread, now that I've had a chance to give the LS80 a good listen in Japan.

Did not like them at all. The mid range was basically non-existent, and the HF was boring. They were sitting next to a similar sized ELAC and B&W which took them to school at least in the HF/MF, off the same source electronics.

for comparison of a similar sized, all cone system, the L5 from 15 yrs ago, embarrasses the LS80..... IMHO

By great contrast, the comp driver MF/UHF high-end systems I heard that day starting right off with the S4600 which is ~2X the price was on a whole different planet than the LS80. The 4338, K2 and Everest2, well.... fuhget a 'bot it.....

The impression I had is that they tried to mimic the makeup of the high-end systems at a "lower" pricepoint and missed the mark...and for reference I rushed to hear the LS80 because it was at the top of my short list of "someday" speakers I could afford when they became available in the US. Looks like I'll now have to take out that loan for the S4600 if it becomes available:D

jblsound
11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
closing the loop on this thread, now that I've had a chance to give the LS80 a good listen in Japan.

Did not like them at all. The mid range was basically non-existent, and the HF was boring. They were sitting next to a similar sized ELAC and B&W which took them to school at least in the HF/MF, off the same source electronics.

for comparison of a similar sized, all cone system, the L5 from 15 yrs ago, embarrasses the LS80..... IMHO

By great contrast, the comp driver MF/UHF high-end systems I heard that day starting right off with the S4600 which is ~2X the price was on a whole different planet than the LS80. The 4338, K2 and Everest2, well.... fuhget a 'bot it.....

The impression I had is that they tried to mimic the makeup of the high-end systems at a "lower" pricepoint and missed the mark...and for reference I rushed to hear the LS80 because it was at the top of my short list of "someday" speakers I could afford when they became available in the US. Looks like I'll now have to take out that loan for the S4600 if it becomes available:D

In that case, and you're the second to give such a description, JBL really has a huge hole in their current lineup. With the PS gone, there is nothing between the Studio L series and the Arrays, except the under performing LS.