PDA

View Full Version : port tube adhesive?

Doc Mark
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Greetings, Friends,

Today, I'm going to mount the recently re-foamed 128H woofers back in their homes in my "new" 4411 cabinets. However, one port tube was a bit loose when I picked up those speakers from the seller, and before remounting the woofers, I'd like to glue it in a bit better. I've used regular old aliphatic resin for glueing in port tubes before, and also GE silicone sealer, but wonder if there is something better I should be using? Your suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

grumpy
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Not advice, just one experience with JBL plastic tube fitted to stock cabinet:

Hot glue gun & speed (in placement) worked for me. I don't remember which cabinet
(might have been 4311), but I seem to recall picking off old hot glue (no longer hot :p),
thus giving me the idea. I don't think I would have selected that glue otherwise, but it
worked and was completed quickly.

3dbdown
11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Aliphatic resin (Carpenter's glue) is just fine. JBL used it for years on their cardboard tubes. Good 'ol Elmer's ! Don't know what they use on plastic tubes, but silicone should also be just fine.

Rick (JBL #12)

Doc Mark
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Evening, Guys,

Thanks to the two of you for your thoughts on this. As I'd used it in the past, I decided to just stick with good old aliphatic resin, and it worked like a champ. I've letting the port tube dry over night, but it's actually hard and ready to go, already. Now, I really should clean up the ends of both cabinets, with a tiny bit of sanding, and some new oiling, then they will really be ready to go. I'm looking forward to hearing how they sound, but worry about them not being a "big" in the sound department, as are our L300's! Hey, I know they will be fine, though, and will most certainly use them someplace here in the house. Even thought about bi-amping the 4411's, with the 2235H's from the L300's providing the bottom end! Options are always fun!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBL 4645
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I had (liquid nails) used on my diy JBL 4645 and you know the ports are still in firm and strong after 10 years, it would take mug to crack those apart.:D

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/HalloweenTech/grsdet_LiquidNails_ForFoam.jpg

Doc Mark
11-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Evening, JBL4645,

Thanks for that additional info, Mate! I'll have to score some of that stuff, and give it a try. Never too old to learn a new trick, or three, eh?! ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBL 4645
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Evening, JBL4645,

Thanks for that additional info, Mate! I'll have to score some of that stuff, and give it a try. Never too old to learn a new trick, or three, eh?! ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Actually it’s the early hours of the morning.;)

Yes and it doesn’t cost that much ether shouldn't be no more than $5.00 for tube.:)

Doctor_Electron
11-15-2008, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=Doc Mark;227701] Even thought about bi-amping the 4411's, with the 2235H's from the L300's providing the bottom end!

That could give you a surprisingly satisfactory result. Back when I had much more listening room available, I rigged up a first-order, passive biamp scheme to integrate 2235H subs with 4410's. The sonic result was very impressive. And I am quite "picky" in what I find acceptable there, although I have not always had the budget to put together the best JBL systems. Anyhow...
I used a big Gold sound 10 mH (if memory serves me right) inductor in series with the 2235H in each of two 5 ft3 sub cabinets. After that I had the (zobel?) networks (from 3107 Xovers, 12uF in series with 10 ohms) across the woofers. This made the -3db point @ 125 Hz.
The bass was big, fast and super clean. I did not hear any obvious problems due to running the 2235's with the less steep than generally used crossover slope. Which I found surprising, but hey, this was IMO one of the characteristics of top notch drivers, as in functional versatiity.
For the high-pass function I had a mallory polystyrene cap (can't recall the value now, .027 uf?) in series between the preamp output and power amp input. The caps worked with the power amp's input Z of 20 K ohms, to provide the 6 db/oct. slope to complement that of the subs. I was able to dial the high end output to - 3db @ 125 Hz by loading the amp with an 8 ohm non-inductive resistor, and adjusting the signal gen. for an amp output of 1 Vrms @ 1000 Hz. Then it was just a matter of diddling with the cap value so the output was .707 Vrms @ 125 Hz. It all functioned superbly and really let the 4410's be much cleaner from 125 Hz up, as lots of low end "mush" was done away with.
I suppose it could be easier to use an off the shelf electronic Xover, but I thought I'd throw this scheme out there, as it worked very well in my setup. What I really mean to say is I wish I still had the subs and necessary floor space!:banghead:

Doctor_Electron
11-15-2008, 06:58 AM
:o: Help! How do you use the "quote" function to work properly? I always hose it up!
Thanks

Doc Mark
11-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Morning, Doctor_Electron,

Thanks for an interesting and informative post! Yes, I most certainly have given thought to using the 4411's, and the L300's together, biamped, but was going to use an electronic crossover for that task. Right now, I've got so much on my plate, not only with work, but also in preparing for Winter up here in the mountains, that I will probably not get round to this for a bit. But, the option is there, and I love to have options!! ;):D

Once I finally get the 4333 cabinets I got from Gumpy up and running, that gives me yet another option, both for subwoofer use, and for a second pair of speaker similar to the L300's. And, with three different types of JBL horns, a pair of 2420's, a pair of 2123H's, and a pair of 2405's, not to mention a pair of Altec 902 drivers and one pair each of 811 and 511 horns, you can see that the options abound!! Hey, I even have a nice pair of Community glass horns down in the Hobbit Hole, so lots of fun combinations can be made, using the wonderful goodies I've dragged around for 30+ years, and that I've gained since joining up with you folks here at LH!! :D:applaud::bouncy:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, and I'll definitely post the results of each combo, as time becomes available to actually mess with all this! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc