PDA

View Full Version : Grill Cloth Glue

shaansloan
11-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Folks,

Can someone tell me the optimum glue[brand, type] that is used in securing or resecuring grill cloths to the frames.....JBL L112, 4343 etc.....

Also, does anyone know if the 4343 blue cloth is stiall avail anywhere?

Thanks,
Shaan

robertbartsch
11-07-2008, 10:02 AM
....I've used contact cement in a can from Home Depo to secure speaker cloth to a grill frame. Use a couple of coats on the edge of the wood frame and let it dry before the cloth is applied. Use heat from an iron or heat gun to activate the dry glue. Pull the cloth tight and iron it down on the edge with heat. You can go around the frame a few times, if necessary.

There should be a few threads here discussing this technique.

shaansloan
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
....I've used contact cement in a can from Home Depo to secure speaker cloth to a grill frame. Use a couple of coats on the edge of the wood frame and let it dry before the cloth is applied. Use heat from an iron or heat gun to activate the dry glue. Pull the cloth tight and iron it down on the edge with heat. You can go around the frame a few times, if necessary.

There should be a few threads here discussing this technique.

thanks so much Robert.....I did find a great thread on this....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7941

shaan

rdgrimes
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm using the LocTite spray adhesive from Lowe's. Works fine but you get it on everything. It doesn't bleed in the fabric and holds tight. I completely wet the frame and let it dry to tack (just 10-15 seconds), then apply the fabric and smooth it down. More works better than less. It also allows me to pull the fabric up for adjustments.

bigyank
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
thanks so much Robert.....I did find a great thread on this....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7941

shaan

I have used both this thread and Zilch's blue cloth to install my DIY grills as well with great success. :D

Yank

3dbdown
11-15-2008, 02:30 AM
3M 77 spray adhesive also works well

Doc Mark
11-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi, 3dbdown,

Yep, that's the same stuff I've used for years, and it does, indeed, work very well. In fact, just from your having mentioned it, I can almost "smell" that stuff, right now! :blink:;) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

3dbdown
11-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey, Doc Mark!!

Well, in actual fact, I am smelling it right now. Had to do a small repair to a loose corner on one of my 4430 grilles.....Works great!

Rick (JBL #12):applaud:

Doc Mark
11-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Morning, Rick,

Cool! It DOES have a distinctive smell, doesn't it!?! I rather like it, actually, but it's a bit too much of a good thing for other folks, I guess. I always keep a can on hand, for just such repairs as you have mentioned. The old L19's I got a while back, turned out to not be as nice as I'd hoped, and in fact, one grill frame is broken in two places. So, I'll have to peel off the grill cloth, stabilize the frame, and then use the #77 to replace the grill cloth. Haven't been motivated enough to get to it, with all the fun I'm having with the L300's, 4411's, and that big old 2242H! But, before long, I do need to get to that task, and when I do, I'll go down into the Hobbit Hole, and grab my can of #77, for the grill cloth work! I even use it for affixing insulation into the cabinets I've built over the years. Worked perfectly for that, too, with nary a problem. Good stuff! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc