PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4412a

micarc
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello guys,

I have one question. There's Somebody selling a pair of JBL 4412A monitors (I have never listen to that model). I have been searching for a pair of JBL L112, I was an ancient owner (but unfortunately haven't found a good pair).

What are your thoughts for the JBL 4412A?

Actually they are 3-4 hrs in car from my house so is a considerably long trip, and I wouldnt like to try them if they doesnt even worth that trip.

Any kind of opinion is welcome, and I thank you guys.

Good luck and thanks one again.

BMWCCA
11-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Any kind of opinion is welcome, and I thank you guys.There aren't a lot of 3-way 12" JBLs that are any better. If any. The big knock against the 4412A seems to be that it's not housed in a pretty wood cabinet. If you just want good sound and don't mind the laminated vinyl covering, they should do you fine. They like to be a little bit elevated off the floor, since they are technically bookshelf speakers like the L112s. I'd say they'd be a whole lot nicer than those CF150s you were looking at previously.

Don't know if that's 6-8 hours round-trip or not, but down here gas is about $2/gallon, so better than it was last month. Two years ago it cost me $60 to have my pair shipped from over 4-hours away. But that's your decision.

micarc
11-06-2008, 08:52 PM
There aren't a lot of 3-way 12" JBLs that are any better. If any. The big knock against the 4412A seems to be that it's not housed in a pretty wood cabinet. If you just want good sound and don't mind the laminated vinyl covering, they should do you fine. They like to be a little bit elevated off the floor, since they are technically bookshelf speakers like the L112s. I'd say they'd be a whole lot nicer than those CF150s you were looking at previously.

Don't know if that's 6-8 hours round-trip or not, but down here gas is about $2/gallon, so better than it was last month. Two years ago it cost me $60 to have my pair shipped from over 4-hours away. But that's your decision.

Thx BMWCCA,

Yes actually I'm searching a good pair of speakers. Cosmetic condition as well as if it's not a wood cabinet, it's not a problem for me (Actually the pair for sale have scratches, but owner says drivers and everything is in excellent condition). I just want a great pair of speakers. I didn't buy the CF150's as that model is not acclaimed.

I think you mentioned in other posts you have the L112 and this ones (as well as a hole collection of speakers), What are your thoughts if you compare them? I was an ancient owner of L112's but unfortunately had to sell (I was moving out of city).

If there is some other information or opinion i'd appreciate it.

ps. The seller doesnt want to get involved in any kind of shipping issues, so it's just local pick-up. I'd like to listen prior to buying them.

BMWCCA
11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I think you mentioned in other posts you have the L112 and this ones (as well as a hole collection of speakers), What are your thoughts if you compare them? I was an ancient owner of L112's but unfortunately had to sell (I was moving out of city).I'm the original owner of a pair of L112s. Though I've never had a chance to compare them in the same room, I've said before I think the tweeters are a bit more pronounced on the 4412A but I think they're probably more accurate than the older 044s on the L112s. There's just no L-pad to turn them down on the 4412A, so you may just back off the treble or use a touch of EQ if it bothers you. Nothing wrong, they're just accurate as you'd expect of a studio monitor. I can't say there's really any difference in performance of the mids or the 128H or H-1, and JBL considers the woofers acoustically identical.

brutal
11-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Improved crossover, better HF driver. Go for it.

Only downside is vinyl and no controls. If you've consigned yourself to not caring about the cabs and can EQ them, IMHO, it's a no-brainer. They were designed to, and will work better horizontal.

*Timing is everything*

I just acquired a pair of 4412, but unfortunately for both of us, they need a bit of work before I can A/B them with my L112's. I'm certain, given the age of the 044 (suspect inner foam damping is mush) the 4412 will perform better. The 044 is a nice driver, smooth and articulate, but age and technology give it a back seat to the Ti drivers.

I have a set of 4410A (smooth dome 052Ti) and they image better than the L112, just don't have that grunt/slam/punch the 128H driver offers.

micarc
11-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm the original owner of a pair of L112s. Though I've never had a chance to compare them in the same room, I've said before I think the tweeters are a bit more pronounced on the 4412A but I think they're probably more accurate than the older 044s on the L112s. There's just no L-pad to turn them down on the 4412A, so you may just back off the treble or use a touch of EQ if it bothers you. Nothing wrong, they're just accurate as you'd expect of a studio monitor. I can't say there's really any difference in performance of the mids or the 128H or H-1, and JBL considers the woofers acoustically identical.

Great, I finally got them after a roundtrip of 6 hrs. Thx so much. Now I have to get a good amp to drive them. (I used the Sansui AU-D11 for the JBL L112's long time ago).

I was reading the 4412's specs and found something on: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/4400.htm

They say they have a power rating of 150W pink noise. What does that means? What would be a good amp in therms of wattage for this superb pair of 4412A?

Thnx in advance.

Doctor_Electron
11-09-2008, 04:50 AM
With a "clean" and sufficiently powerful amp, and "clean" source equipment your new JBL's should sound fine.
I have had two 4410's since 1986 and recently got a pair of 4412's. Neither are "A" versions. The 4410's do have excellent imaging qualities IMO, and the 4412's seem to image differently but still very well.
I have used these JBLS with (recently) a Sansui 3300 receiver, only 24 watts/ch, and a Sansui AU-7700 Integrated with 54 watts/ch. At higher volume the 3300 gets muddy and the 7700 is much better, but I am sure an amp with much more power is really needed.
The 4412's do seem to need more power than the 4410's. BTW I listen in a "nearfield" setting... each speaker is only 5 1/2 feet away, at an angle of about 30 degrees. Larger listening spaces will need more power yet.
BTW, may I ask how much they cost? I gave $550 for the 4412's, but they had fresh factory recone jobs on the woofers, everything works fine and only had a 45 mile each way trip to grab them.

BMWCCA
11-09-2008, 08:25 AM
I was reading the 4412's specs and found something on: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/4400.htm

They say they have a power rating of 150W pink noise. What does that means? What would be a good amp in therms of wattage for this superb pair of 4412A?Others can offer more scientific and learned advice but basically pink noise simply covers the entire audible spectrum. Normally JBL power ratings mention headroom allowances for peaks that could double the continuous-power requirement of an amp and thus they would advise an amp capable of twice the stated peak power. So a 300-wpc amp isn't going to be too much power and anything substantially less than 150-wpc won't be awful unless you commonly listen at extremely loud levels.

Personally, I've never used less than a 95-watt-per-channel Crown D150 for any of my JBLs in nearly 35 years, and that includes my system with D130s rated at 25-watts. My L112s always worked fine with my original D150 and still do. My 4412As work great with a D150A-II, DC300A-II, PS-200, and sound best when played through a 190-wpc Crown PS-400, and I'm pretty sure that's not my imagination. In short, I don't think there's any way you can give your 4412As too much clean power, and the more power you give them to work with the better they'll sound. Playing loud with a low-power amp can result in distortion that will fry the 4412As tweeters. But much of this depends on how you listen and what you're listening to.

majick47
11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Check the thread under General Audio Marketplace re Yamha PC2002M pro amps, no connection with seller. I have a Yamaha PC2002 amp and used it with similar JBL speakers and can highly recommend it, 240x2 watts of very clean power. Price wise it's a steal and you will not be disappointed with it's performance/sound. My PC2002 has been used in rotation with much pricer amps and it held it's own against very stiff competition (Threshold, Forte and Yamaha Centennial Series).

brutal
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Check the thread under General Audio Marketplace re Yamha PC2002M pro amps, no connection with seller. I have a Yamaha PC2002 amp and used it with similar JBL speakers and can highly recommend it, 240x2 watts of very clean power. Price wise it's a steal and you will not be disappointed with it's performance/sound. My PC2002 has been used in rotation with much pricer amps and it held it's own against very stiff competition (Threshold, Forte and Yamaha Centennial Series).

PC2002 - Tank-like Pro version of the M-2.

Ssshhh, don't tell everyone. I'm still looking for a pair of clean ones (PC2002M).

majick47
11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Brutal you could pay five times as much for an identical pro Accuphase amp and not do any better. From Japanese audio sites I'v seen this Yamaha amp was very popular both in the pro and home settings.

SMKSoundPro
11-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Ping Mech986 (Bart), as he a line on a lot of these PC2002M's!!!

I think the price was $270, for 345 watts a side at 8 ohms.

From DC to Daylight, all day!

Great amp.

I have plenty of P2100 and more P2201 and P2200 w/meters. The wife would have a cuniption fit if I were to buy anymore Yamaha amps!

They don't work in our rigs very well. We do Macro-Tech Crowns for jobs and the Yamahas for the workshop stereo.

Scotty.

Go for the 4412!!!!! What have you got to lose? A real pretty drive with someone you care about? There's always Stuckey's for a bite!