PDA

View Full Version : 4425 or SR-4731X for Live Monitor?

Minatogawaman
11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Hello Everyone

I am trying to make a decision that could free up some space in our home.

Some time ago I had a band and did some DJing with SR-4731X speakers, these have the 2447J compression driver and 2206H 12" woofers.

Currently, I use them in my house to monitor myself playing acoustic-electric guitar and to play a backing machine while I mix in my voice and play along with either, acoustic or electric guitars or organ that are also run through these speakers. Since my room is fairly small the 4731's are overkill for this application. (I hate to think of giving them up though...).

Recently, I acquired a pair of 4425's with 12" 2214H woofers and bi-radial horns loaded with compression driver 2416H.

My question is whether I should give up the 4731s and try to use the 4425s as my home music practice monitors? Is this even possible? I have two large pro amps for these, including the sr series Hafler that has 600 wpc and a QSC with half of that...

Will I damage the 4425s if I try this?

Thank you for your expertise!!

Chris
Takasaki, Japan

mikebake
11-06-2008, 05:43 AM
The amps aren't going to "damage" anything. I wold think you would be in the perfect situation to anwer your own question.
Try it and let us know how it went.

doodlebug
11-06-2008, 06:31 AM
I agree with MB. The 4425s will be quite nice with either power amp especially in a mid-field monitoring situation. I've used a set of them in that application. What are you doing for a preamp or souce DAC?

Cheers,

David

Minatogawaman
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I am using a roland mixer that allows me to run vocals, guitar, the backing machine and other instruments through the amps and speakers.

I guess my main concern was that the 4425 "only handles 200 watts," and although I do not intend to monitor myself at ear-splitting volumes, I thought the dynamic range of running live music through them--especially the peaks at which it would easily push over 200 watts--might damage them.

Thanks!!

Chris

pos
11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
short peaks well above 200W should not be a problem (spec sheet says 1000W for less than 10ms).
The real problems with these peaks is over excursion that could damage the bass driver. Maybe you should include a subsonic filter if you are playing raw materials through these speakers. The cabinets are tuned to 34Hz, so this is a good frequency for such a filter (or maybe 30hz, but no less). You could always defeat this filter for hifi or normal monitoring use.

Minatogawaman
11-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks Pos!