PDA

View Full Version : Please keep your political commentary out of the public forums. Thanks

brutal
11-02-2008, 07:32 AM
There are other venues for posting your comments...

mikebake
11-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Are they okay here in the Lansing Product Marketplace?

4313B
11-02-2008, 08:21 AM
There are other venues for posting your comments...Read the forum rules please. #1 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=23819&postcount=1)

Maron Horonzakz
11-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Do you remember POGO ????????:D

Doc Mark
11-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Greetings, All,

Interesting comment, Brutal. Did I miss something, or was something said that was mean-spirited?? I certainly hope not. As for myself, I dearly love exchanging ideas, on a variety of topics, political, and religious, as well as just about anything else. BUT, I never engage in arguing, or exchanges filled with venom and hate, just because folks don't agree with my own thoughts on such things. Nothing could be less productive, nor more harmful, as far as I'm concerned!

My wife and I tend to be fairly conservative, but as a former pro musician of almost 30 years, we have many long-time, and very dear friends, who are on the other side of the fence on many things we hold dear. Does this make even the slightest problem in our friendship? Not on your life!! We value and appreciate our friends, and most certainly admire their own convictions, just as they admire our own!! All of us pretty much agree, that pointless arguing, to the point of anger, is absolutely worthless, and so we all agree that we simply won't go there. But, that does not keep us from having some lively debates, on occasion. No name-calling, no hateful and mean-spirited comments, NONE of that is allowed, and none of our true friends would even consider going there!! But, countless times, over the years, we've certainly learned a lot from talking to good friends of different belief systems, just as they have learned from us, too!! That is how it should be, as far as we're concerned.

I'm sorry if someone offended you by a political comment, and I most certainly hope it was not me! Can't remember having made any such comments, but at my advanced age, who knows...... In any case, hope all is well with you, and that whatever happened to cause your original comments, it's all repaired and better, now! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
My $0.02:

There's nothing more irritating than clicking into a thread because it has new post(s), thinking I'm going to read something that is relevant and interesting, only to find off topic political "discussion". It's rude, pointless, a waste of my time and against forum rules. [/rant]

brutal
11-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Read the forum rules please. #1 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=23819&postcount=1)

And in particular, this?

"There is even a place for non Lansing related discussion - the "Off-Topic" forum."

Maron Horonzakz
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
You guys are acting like a bunch of crybabys,,,Grow up;)

brutal
11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22698

"And it ALL works somehow! if YOUR NAME IS BUSH!

WHY THE HELL ARE WE STILL IN IRAQ?

Cause we all KNOW we are GONNA be in IRAQ for the NEXT 25 years!"

is a personal attack against President Bush. Are the TOS against personal attacks limited to LHF members? All are certainly entitled to their opinions, but IMHO, it doesn't belong in the LHF general forums. If I responded with links to some of the video I've seen regarding one of the candidates, it would curl your toes, and I'd likely get a tongue lashing from the mods.

Nuff said?

Robh3606
11-02-2008, 09:20 AM
About a year or more ago we closed down Off Topic because of friction created between members over Political and Religious discussions. Don reopened the Forum with these Rules. Please read rule #1

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=62

I think thats says it all.

The only posts permitted on this board must be recreational in nature. No current events, politics, or religion.
Uncivil behaviour will not be tolerated in the OT board, for which the first example will result in an immediate temporary ban. Repetition will result in a permanent ban from the OT board and possibly the entire forum depending on the severity.
Uncivil behaviour in the main forums that is a spillover from conversations in the OT board will result in an immediate temporary ban and permanent loss of rights to post in the OT board. Repetition in the main boards will result in a permanent ban from the entire forum.
No trolling or spamming. Repeated postings with no substantial content or posting with intentions to incite will result in the loss of rights to post in the OT board.
This is not a forum in and of itself. It is meant to be an adjunct to the main Lansing boards. Memebers that post more frequently in the OT board than in the main forum will find their rights to participate here revoked.

Rob:)

4313B
11-02-2008, 09:21 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22698

"And it ALL works somehow! if YOUR NAME IS BUSH!

WHY THE HELL ARE WE STILL IN IRAQ?

Cause we all KNOW we are GONNA be in IRAQ for the NEXT 25 years!"

is a personal attack against President Bush. Are the TOS against personal attacks limited to LHF members? All are certainly entitled to their opinions, but IMHO, it doesn't belong in the LHF general forums. If I responded with links to some of the video I've seen regarding one of the candidates, it would curl your toes, and I'd likely get a tongue lashing from the mods.

Nuff said?Not really, Bush is a special case; He and his handler Cheney belong in prison (Personally I'd just kick them both to the curb on a street in Baghdad and let those folks handle it). They forfeited all LHS forum and Geneva Conventions rights the moment they failed in their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. :p

neanderthal
11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Greetings, All,

Interesting comment, Brutal. Did I miss something, or was something said that was mean-spirited?? I certainly hope not. As for myself, I dearly love exchanging ideas, on a variety of topics, political, and religious, as well as just about anything else. BUT, I never engage in arguing, or exchanges filled with venom and hate, just because folks don't agree with my own thoughts on such things. Nothing could be less productive, nor more harmful, as far as I'm concerned!

My wife and I tend to be fairly conservative, but as a former pro musician of almost 30 years, we have many long-time, and very dear friends, who are on the other side of the fence on many things we hold dear. Does this make even the slightest problem in our friendship? Not on your life!! We value and appreciate our friends, and most certainly admire their own convictions, just as they admire our own!! All of us pretty much agree, that pointless arguing, to the point of anger, is absolutely worthless, and so we all agree that we simply won't go there. But, that does not keep us from having some lively debates, on occasion. No name-calling, no hateful and mean-spirited comments, NONE of that is allowed, and none of our true friends would even consider going there!! But, countless times, over the years, we've certainly learned a lot from talking to good friends of different belief systems, just as they have learned from us, too!! That is how it should be, as far as we're concerned.

I'm sorry if someone offended you by a political comment, and I most certainly hope it was not me! Can't remember having made any such comments, but at my advanced age, who knows...... In any case, hope all is well with you, and that whatever happened to cause your original comments, it's all repaired and better, now! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Hi Doc....Just curious of your "professional musician career"...where for who? Thanks

Doc Mark
11-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Not really, Bush is a special case; He and his handler Cheney belong in prison (Personally I'd just kick them both to the curb on a street in Baghdad and let those folks handle it). They forfeited all LHS forum and Geneva Conventions rights the moment they failed in their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. :p

Uh, OH!! Rule #1 Violation Alert!!! This is not a test!!! Warning, warning, warning!!! Run for your lives, and take cover, immediately!!!! AHHH-OOOOOO-GA!!!!!

Doc

Doc Mark
11-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Doc....Just curious of your "professional musician career"...where for who? Thanks

Morning, Neanderthal,

Thanks for asking about it! Are you, or were you, a musician, too?

I played music in most all the clubs and hotels down in San Diego for many years. Went on the road for the first time in 1969, with "mixed" results. Later, I got into a traveling band, and for eleven months of the year, for five years, we were on the road, playing show and dance clubs, border to border, coast to coast. We eventually ended up working the Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Reno circuit, and opened for such acts as: Lou Rawls, Donna Summer, Roger Miller, Jimmy Buffet, Blood-Sweat-And-Tears, The Sunshine Company, Sopwith Camel, Taz Mahal (S/P), and many others. I ended my full-time career by playing in a house band (with very good friends) on the Harbor Cruise Boats, out of San Diego. It was a good career, and I miss playing music, quite a bit. However, I really did see some of the worst, along with some of the best times whilst so playing!! Drugs took a HUGE toll during those years, and even though I, personally, never indulged in such things (hell, I didn't even begin drinking BEER until I was 50 years old!:blink:), I watched many good friends die, and otherwise come to complete ruin, because of their choices back then!! Bittersweet memories, that's for sure. I played drums and sang lead vocals, both from behind my trap-set, and later as our front man/vocalist. I love Latin percussion, and play most of that stuff, too, as well as two horns. Tight vocal harmonies, and complex poly-rhythmic stuff always did it for me, especially when lots of good horns were added to the mix!! So, that's my story. What's your's, if you don't mind sharing? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who continues to "play music", only now, it's 18th century stuff, done on whistles, fifes, and flageolettes, at Living History events! Fun!!)

brutal
11-02-2008, 09:58 AM
About a year or more ago we closed down Off Topic because of friction created between members over Political and Religious discussions. Don reopened the Forum with these Rules. Please read rule #1

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=62

I think thats says it all.

Rob:)

Rob,

I haven't subscribed to Off-Topic so I can't see the TOS in that forum. Is there any chance it, in effect, says to keep those discussion in Off-Topic and out of the general forums? ;)

What I do see in THIS forum TOS, to quote,

" For now, the following are the only hard and fast rules:

A) What's Allowed

You are free to comment on or criticize any action, opinion or assertion made on this forum.

B) What's Not Allowed

- You are not allowed to make personal attacks. Ad hominem attacks and name calling will not be tolerated.
- No duplicate registrations. Duplicate accounts, and sock puppets in particular, will be disabled.

It is not my intent to turn this site into the epitome of political correctness. Sarcasm, exposure to ridicule and humour in general are all perfectly acceptable as long as it is directed at A) and not B).

Above all, have fun. Remember, its a hobby and we're supposed to enjoy it.

Regards

Don McRitchie"

Apparently, my read on this is different than many others. FWIW, I DO NOT enjoy seeing what should be discussed in OT on the other forums. I come here in an attempt to enjoy one of my hobbies and this sort of tripe turns me off LHF... In particular, the blindness of BHO supporters. I read, see, and hear that crap in the media and don't expect to find the hateful bashing that goes on in these forums.

JBLRaiser
11-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Not really, Bush is a special case; He and his handler Cheney belong in prison (Personally I'd just kick them both to the curb on a street in Baghdad and let those folks handle it). They forfeited all LHS forum and Geneva Conventions rights the moment they failed in their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. :p

could you expand on these failures of upholding the Constitution of the United States and give supporting evidence, documents, etc.? Just the facts and legal precedent to back it up. Thanks

Ducatista47
11-02-2008, 10:25 AM
The off topic postings and rants, when they were open to public view, accomplished a variety of things. Unfortunately, two of them were embarrassing JBL - the company - and making us a laughingstock on the web. We had/have a pretty ugly reputation among the audio forums that are more constantly civil, more on topic and more welcoming to new members.

The one thing I regret, if it is indeed the case, is the total annihilation of what was already written in the old off topic forum.

FWIW, I love this place and its people warts and all.

Clark

PS 4313 B, history will be the judge. Am I allowed to say that nearly all historians presently writing are arguing over whether W is the worst or the second worst president in the history of the republic.

Hoerninger
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I DO NOT enjoy seeing what should be discussed in OT on the other forums.

In fact the off topic section in this forum is a very kind place, IMO.

Mr. Widget
11-02-2008, 10:29 AM
There are other venues for posting your comments...Unfortunately you are correct. I say unfortunately because I enjoy discussing these topics, especially with friends I have made here from around the country and around the world. It is very intriguing to share widely differing viewpoints. That said, the level of animosity that develops sometimes is very destructive to our little society here.

I moved this thread to the "Forum Feedback" area where it belongs. I am now going to close the thread as it will only continue and might get ugly. For those who wish to continue the discussion or ponder the point of a specific post, go ahead and send a PM to the appropriate member(s).

Widget