PDA

View Full Version : L100 quadrex question

SEAWOLF97
11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I was cleaning up my storage area ( always dangerous ) and thought I'd found some L100's ..on closer inspection, they were Ultralinear's .....the grills are quadrex and really nice shape, no deterioration , sharp corners and edges....I dont remember buying these, but maybe they were purchased to use the grills on my L100's (that my "off-site" son has)....they measure 14.25 X 23 7/8ths...with abt a 3/8ths trim area all around (if need be)

will they fit the L100's ??
why are these sharp and clean while JBL's turned to dust ? (they are OEM, not RS replacements)

indycraft
11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I was cleaning up my storage area ( always dangerous ) and thought I'd found some L100's ..on closer inspection, they were Ultralinear's .....the grills are quadrex and really nice shape, no deterioration , sharp corners and edges....I dont remember buying these, but maybe they were purchased to use the grills on my L100's (that my "off-site" son has)....they measure 14.25 X 23 7/8ths...with abt a 3/8ths trim area all around (if need be)

will they fit the L100's ??
why are these sharp and clean while JBL's turned to dust ? (they are OEM, not RS replacements)

The inside measurement of L100 frames are 13 7/8" x 23 3/16". You'll have to trim those to fit an L100 frame.

Reasons the foams are in good condition could include:
Type of foam
Low exposure to UV rays
Low exposure to direct sunlight.
Age of foam

How does one think they found JBLs in their storage area? Should we not know if we have JBL's in storage?:)

Indy

Don C
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
The foam looks like the Radio Shack style to me. I've seen several L100s with this foam. I've never seen any that looked right. The dimensions don't work out, so the squares don't end even with the edge of the grille.

doodlebug
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Ha! A blast from the past. Ultralinear was a house-brand name sold through dealers back in the 70s. No advertising or marketing of the brand name meant no reviews from the Stereo Reviews, etc, of their day. The dealer, then, could establish his own retail price for them and then heavily discount the speakers or sell a complete system of a TT, receiver and speakers at what appeared to be quite a discount. There were other names I remember selling such as Image88, Image. Bose even had a couple of these no-name brands such as Interaudio - can't remember the other name, though.

The foam covers you have would have been on the higher-end of the Ultralinear line, IIRC. At one point, the company that made them attempted to 'go legit' with a review by one of the 2nd tier magazines but nothing came of it and the brand name was lost sometime in the 80s.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the foam is still intact after all this time.

Cheers,

David

SEAWOLF97
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
The inside measurement of L100 frames are 13 7/8" x 23 3/16". You'll have to trim those to fit an L100 frame.
How does one think they found JBLs in their storage area? Should we not know if we have JBL's in storage?:)
Indy

THANX FOR MEASUREMENTS....they are within trim range
everytime I go thru storage, its like "memory lane" ....."Oh , I HAVE some of those ?? Wonder when & where those came from ??"

Ha! A blast from the past. Ultralinear was a house-brand name sold through dealers back in the 70s.
Frankly, I'm surprised that the foam is still intact after all this time.
David

Amazing that this house brands foam holds up when JBL's turned to dust

here is closeup...long exposure, handheld, which makes them look not as sharp as reality.