PDA

View Full Version : Are You a "Tweeker" or Do You Install As Is?

toddalin
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Me..., I'm a tweeker. Case in point. I'm getting ready to install H92s to replace my H91s.

First thing to do was to clean them up. This includes first filing out rough spots and ridges at the flanges and along the interior.

In addition to various casting "bumps" the horns have a slight ridge along the inner edge at the exit if the bell. I can feel it when I run my finger around the lip. An emery board makes this nice and smooth. I equate this with "port matching" when building a high performance engine. Of course the horns are then repainted.

As previously noted in another post, the horns also received a coating of plastic/rubber along their outside to deaden ringing.

Does any of this have any audible effect??? Couldn't hoit!

So, what tweeks have you done during your builds and were they effective?

Maron Horonzakz
10-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Your sick, sick, like the rest of us,, couldnt hurt.;););):D

Beowulf57
11-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Hmm..let's see? Oh yeh, coated the inside of my folded horns with sound deadening automotive paint and then added 1" fiberglass panels to the outer surfaces of the back and sides of the horns. More anon...

toddalin
11-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Hmm..let's see? Oh yeh, coated the inside of my folded horns with sound deadening automotive paint and then added 1" fiberglass panels to the outer surfaces of the back and sides of the horns. More anon...

Cool.

I also use heavy gauge OFC cable within the cabinets, twist up the ends of the copper on the speaker wires nice and tight and apply silver solder. I then grind these to a point that will fit into the speaker terminals.

Also, all hardware used in the crossovers and their mounting is brass or plastic/nylon.

Robh3606
11-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Who here that does any DIY doesn't tweek?? I have changed internal wiring, have coated horns with glop and built CC networks. Screwed around with Aguaplas and aftermarket diaphrams, coated the inside of cabinets all kinds of stuff. It's fun.

Rob:)

cosmos
11-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Who here that does any DIY doesn't tweek?? I have changed internal wiring, have coated horns with glop and built CC networks. Screwed around with Aguaplas and aftermarket diaphrams, coated the inside of cabinets all kinds of stuff. It's fun.

I second on some of the above, but never built a CC network or coated anything with Aquaplas.

Not to stear the thread in a different direction, but have you been able to hear a difference in a CC network? I have been tempted to change my 250Ti-LE to CC, but hate to given the cost to build a whole new network and not being assured of a significant improvement.

scott fitlin
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
For me, it depends, some things I am into " Tweak and Development " other things I use " AS IS "!

Beowulf57
11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
And lest we forget: it's "tweak" not "tweek.":blah:

toddalin
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
And lest we forget: it's "tweak" not "tweek.":blah:

AGGG! Then why do the gnomes keep stealing my underwear???

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2819413214_44f766e22b.jpg?v=0

Beowulf57
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Toddalin, reduce your caffeine intake. The stress of too much tweaking is beginning to show. As Tweek (from South Park) says whenever he is told to do something: "Aaagh! Way too much pressure!" :montyp:
If the gnomes have been steeling your underwear, you have been robbing them of their jobs: they work to improve your system while you are asleap and live for the day when you exclaim, "Hey, it sounds better and I didn't change anything.:jawdrop:

Maron Horonzakz
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
No its TWEEK... The US changed some word spelling to break with England. (its true);)

hjames
11-03-2008, 07:45 AM
No its TWEEK... The US changed some word spelling to break with England. (its true);)
Are you sure its not "to brake with England"?
some of our posters seems to mix the two ...
:applaud:

Beowulf57
11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Are you sure its not "to brake with England"?
some of our posters seems to mix the two ...
:applaud:

OK...that's enuff, :duel:Brake it up. :D

Maron Horonzakz
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
The Queen would like to come back in power and change some four letter words.:D

hjames
11-03-2008, 08:02 AM
The Queen would like to come back in power and change some four letter words.:D

Unlawful Carnal Knowledge inDEED!

johnaec
11-03-2008, 08:07 AM
The Queen would like to come back in power and change some four letter words.:D _ornication _nder _onsent of the _ing one of them?

John

Maron Horonzakz
11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Every thing I know is Carnal:D

Robh3606
11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Not to stear the thread in a different direction, but have you been able to hear a difference in a CC network? I have been tempted to change my 250Ti-LE to CC, but hate to given the cost to build a whole new network and not being assured of a significant improvement.

Well it just so happens I am building up L250Ti Jubilee networks which happen to be CC. Even using Solens it's not exactly cheap and it is time consuming. I have used CC on all passives for a while now and started with a CC 4435 compensation on the 2344 horn years ago. I liked what I heard. What I would do is take an existing 2 way desing with a simple network like L20T/T3 and build a CC network for them. See if you feel the difference is worth it. JBL obviously does or they wouldn't be using it in virtually all of their Statement Speakers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43&highlight=Charge+Coupled+2344

scott fitlin
11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Every thing I know is Carnal:DME TOO!

:bouncy:

Beowulf57
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Well it just so happens I am building up L250Ti Jubilee networks which happen to be CC. Even using Solens it's not exactly cheap and it is time consuming. I have used CC on all passives for a while now and started with a CC 4435 compensation on the 2344 horn years ago. I liked what I heard. What I would do is take an existing 2 way desing with a simple network like L20T/T3 and build a CC network for them. See if you feel the difference is worth it. JBL obviously does or they wouldn't be using it in virtually all of their Statement Speakers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43&highlight=Charge+Coupled+2344

So Rob, how would you describe the sonic change going from bypassed passive networks to CC?

Robh3606
11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
So Rob, how would you describe the sonic change going from bypassed passive networks to CC?

Low level detail improves. Same as when you go to an Aquaplased diaphram. When you combine the two it can make quite a difference. You end up with all the dynamics you want using a horn loaded driver with improved clarity and smoothness in the quiet and low level passages.

Beowulf57
11-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Cool!:coolness: