PDA

View Full Version : Heaven is where you find it!!

Doc Mark
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Good Evening, my Friends,

Tonight, Sweet Bride and I watched "Master And Commander", with Russell Crowe. Now, we've enjoyed this movie quite a few times since we bought the DVD, and enjoyed it every single time, with one missing link. Our old subwoofer just couldn't keep up with the cannon fire, and didn't sound as good as it should have with the cello in the soundtrack!

Well, tonight, with the sound being played through our L300's.... my Friends, I cannot tell you in strong enough terms: We were both THRILLED, in a way we've never been before, with the enjoyment of this movie, and also the soundtrack!!! Say what you will, dear Friends, as "obsolete" as they may be, JBL L300's SMOKE THE CRAP OUT OF MOST OTHER SPEAKERS, PERIOD!!!! I cannot say more, as that last sentence says it all, as far as we're both concerned!!! We can hardly wait to watch "Titanic" again, and also "Last of the Mohicans", as well as many other favorite movies, which we know we'll enjoy more than we ever have, before our L300's came to live with us!! Thank you, Lord in Heaven, for making it possible for us to obtain these wonderful speakers!! Thanks to you all, too, for reading my raving reviews of these wonderful speakers. I know that some of you don't agree, and that is perfectly OK. Doesn't bother me a bit. Each to his/her own, sez I!! But, for our money, we just can't even imagine a better speaker, at least for our purposes!!! Take care, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark and Sweet Bride (headed to bed, happy, satisfied, and absolutely in love with our JBL L300's!) We say, "Tinnitus be damned"!!

SMKSoundPro
10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Doc, you're a hoot!

sincerely,

scotty.

scott fitlin
10-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Tonight, Sweet Bride and I watched "Master And Commander", with Russell Crowe. Now, we've enjoyed this movie quite a few times since we bought the DVD, and enjoyed it every single time, with one missing link. Our old subwoofer just couldn't keep up with the cannon fire, and didn't sound as good as it should have with the cello in the soundtrack!

Well, tonight, with the sound being played through our L300's.... my Friends, I cannot tell you in strong enough terms: We were both THRILLED, in a way we've never been before, with the enjoyment of this movie, and also the soundtrack!!! Say what you will, dear Friends, as "obsolete" as they may be, JBL L300's SMOKE THE CRAP OUT OF MOST OTHER SPEAKERS, PERIOD!!!! I cannot say more, as that last sentence says it all, as far as we're both concerned!!! We can hardly wait to watch "Titanic" again, and also "Last of the Mohicans", as well as many other favorite movies, which we know we'll enjoy more than we ever have, before our L300's came to live with us!! Thank you, Lord in Heaven, for making it possible for us to obtain these wonderful speakers!! Thanks to you all, too, for reading my raving reviews of these wonderful speakers. I know that some of you don't agree, and that is perfectly OK. Doesn't bother me a bit. Each to his/her own, sez I!! But, for our money, we just can't even imagine a better speaker, at least for our purposes!!! Take care, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark and Sweet Bride (headed to bed, happy, satisfied, and absolutely in love with our JBL L300's!) We say, "Tinnitus be damned"!!I can only imagine what happens when the 2242 gets thrown into the mix!

:applaud:

pmakres1
10-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Every Good Wish,
Doc Mark and Sweet Bride (headed to bed, happy, satisfied, and absolutely in love with our JBL L300's!) We say, "Tinnitus be damned"!!

Doc Mark,

I think I'm going to have to stop reading you're posts...you are putting a serious L300 burr under my JBL saddle blanket! It's getting so I simply must have a pair (along with a pair of L250's or 250ti's). There are just a few minor problems: I can't afford to buy a pair, I can't find a pair, and I've nowhere to put a pair. (not necessarily in that order). And yet, I simply MUST have a pair....and it's all your fault!! :biting:

Pete

scott fitlin
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Doc Mark,

I think I'm going to have to stop reading you're posts...you are putting a serious L300 burr under my JBL saddle blanket! It's getting so I simply must have a pair (along with a pair of L250's or 250ti's). There are just a few minor problems: I can't afford to buy a pair, I can't find a pair, and I've nowhere to put a pair. (not necessarily in that order). And yet, I simply MUST have a pair....and it's all your fault!! :biting:

PetePete, lemme give you some advice, DONT EVER start reading any of the TAD threads, NEVER do that to yourself!

Paying to satisfy the TAD LUST was the MOST PAINFUL LUST I EVER PAID FOR!

Best thing to do, is IF you EVER see a TAD thread, walk, no, RUN to AudioKarma and start reading Klipsch threads, ITS so much cheaper!

:rotfl:

JBL 4645
10-30-2008, 06:57 AM

If the sub is having issue with the cannon fire on chapter 4 and the rest of cannon recoil effects I’d easy down on the level don’t try and prove the single sub bass can handle all the deep effects! You need arrays of the same to maximize this and single sub for LFE.1 is enough for my room, thou I wouldn’t mind a few of those JBL 4645C.

I know my JBL 4645 2240 inside and out I know where she can go and where she can’t go and as long as I keep her in the green with Alesis RA300 bridge mode she’ll keep on playing. She’s in her prime now and she’s seen many deep low end films in the past 10 years.

The abrupt cannon fire chapter 4 comes in with a scary loudness over LCRS on there own. When accompanied with the LFE.1 track with sub bass extension LCRS muted the concrete floor flexes. Footsteps tramping around on the JBL control 1, arrays with centre back sounds flipping realistic! The score on this film truly rocks (Iva Davies ) (Christopher Gordon) (Richard Tognetti).

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/552364_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/552364_DV_L_F.jpg
Direct reading from the LFE.1 track!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/MasterandcommanderLFE1track.jpg

pmakres1
10-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Pete, lemme give you some advice, DONT EVER start reading any of the TAD threads, NEVER do that to yourself!

Paying to satisfy the TAD LUST was the MOST PAINFUL LUST I EVER PAID FOR!

Best thing to do, is IF you EVER see a TAD thread, walk, no, RUN to AudioKarma and start reading Klipsch threads, ITS so much cheaper!

:rotfl:

I'm afraid I'm already in trouble at AK, for hanging out in the McIntosh forum.

Pete

JBL 4645
10-30-2008, 07:20 AM
We can hardly wait to watch "Titanic" again, and also "Last of the Mohicans", as well as many other favorite movies, which we know we'll enjoy more than we ever have, before our L300's came to live with us!!

Titanic is another abrupt Dolby six-track mix I’d be careful with that one. The Submersible on the opening slams on the centre channel with deep depth with a mild low end on the LFE.1 track the lows can go to any channel.

The Last of the Mohicans is another beast seems like your picking Oscar sound contenders like Master and commander best sound effects editing (2003) The Last of the Mohicans best achievement in sound (1992) Titanic best sound effects editing and best achievement in sound (1997).

JBL 4645
10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
LOL my cat just pumped for cover while walking around on the top of the sofa. Chapter 31 Master and commander! Sooty was looking around in panic as the LFE.1 and the primary channels sounded! It’s hiding behind the sofa now. LOL :D

Doc Mark
10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Greetings, All,

First, I hope you can all forgive me for being so unabashedly enthusiastic about our L300's! It's just the way I am! I learned, a very long time ago, that, for the most part, each of us is completely in control over the way we choose to react to our situations, both planned, and unplanned. As I got older, I decided that it was MUCH more fun to enjoy the trip, instead of griping, complaining, and bitching about the little unimportant details along the way! By the Grace of God, I met and married a wonderful woman who feels exactly the same way! So, our lives together have been super happy, completely satisfying, and more fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys!!! ;):D:applaud:

We have found that everyday life can be a real "tickle-fest", IF you have the proper attitude, and if you allow yourself to take pleasure in all things, both big and small!! Whether it be our L300's, or the backpacking we do, or our very satisfying Living History hobby, our travels, our business, or our marriage, we've a very happy pair, and with God's blessings, we hope to continue that course of action throughout our entire lives together! May you all be so blessed, as well! Take care, my Friends, and remember to be enthusiastic about something fun today!! ;);):D:D

Every Good Wish,
Doc and Sweet Bride

Doc Mark
10-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Titanic is another abrupt Dolby six-track mix I’d be careful with that one. The Submersible on the opening slams on the centre channel with deep depth with a mild low end on the LFE.1 track the lows can go to any channel.

The Last of the Mohicans is another beast seems like your picking Oscar sound contenders like Master and commander best sound effects editing (2003) The Last of the Mohicans best achievement in sound (1992) Titanic best sound effects editing and best achievement in sound (1997).

Hey, JBL 4645,

Our choices of movies/soundtracks have been based on what we like, and until you mentioned it, we were unaware of the awards garnered by some of our most favorite films! That's very cool, and thanks for that wonderful information! As a pro musician for around 30 years, and after spending much of that time behind a drum kit with a good bass player on my left, music does not sound "normal or real", unless it has that same dynamic feel to it! That may very well not be "normal" to anyone who has not experienced it from up on stage, but for me, that's the only way I want to listen to music. It's been suggested that we seek out a good DVD of "Jurrasic Park", and that's something I may end up doing today, actually. We have quite a few other videos that offer dynamic soundtracks, but until we got the L300's, our little 12" DVC Eminence subwoofer just couldn't keep up on much of it. Hey, it has always sounded good, musically, but it's never had a good range of dynamics. So, we were blown away by the depth of sound coming from our L300's last night!! I expect that, when a future subwoofer is added to our system, we will love that, even more!! But, over and above everything else, we appreciate how musical and natural our L300's reproduce whatever we wish to enjoy. Whether it's Diana Krall, a small string ensemble, the soundtrack from "Master and Commander", a sweet cello, or oboe solo, or Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man", our L300's sound "real" and very musical to us. In that end, that's what it's all about, eh?! ;):D

Thanks, again, for the neat information, Sir. Much appreciated. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBL 4645
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Well Doc, then you’ll like the drum beat in chapter 11 “A real party” when I first heard in the cinema back around early of 1998 as the cinema was fully exclusive with Dolby digital Dolby DA20 coupled with the Dolby CP200. The attack on the JBL 4675-A THX approved stage speakers was so lively sounding.

In the home I have to make sure I don’t push too far with control 5 still they hit loudness spot for what they are.

Hmm, "Fanfare for the Common Man" there was electrical music styled version. I seem to also remember it was in the charts on BBC radio1 back then.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For the Common Man (8m.54s)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLWgrr671g (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLWgrr671g)

Fanfare For the Common Man (3m56s)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzf0rvQa4Mc (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzf0rvQa4Mc)

JBL 4645
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh there is just one other thing thou. If you like horns and trumpets the end credits of Grand Canyon Dolby digital 4 track sounds really cool on the end with horns and trumpets and precession beating away…hold on I’ll get the region 2 DVD and give those end credits a quick play, oh the sound of Dolby 4.0wow!

The discrete LCRS sounds very good on this film for its age that comes out crystal clear good strong dialogue intelligibility and sound effects put to good use for the story. Cheek it out for its good visuals at the end that is one mighty large piece of art that god as made, breath taking.

For the frequency graph I used sw-re-mix on my Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select since its only Dolby stereo 4.0 it needs some sub bass extension that I send to the JBL 4645 instead of the Eltax A 12-R that I use for six-track Dolby stereo digital or dts films.

The use of the monaural discrete surrounds on the end credits is played at lower level over LCR thou there are way to heighten it without it getting too out of hand when loud moments come. The harmony of choir voices washes over me uniformity spiritual feeling in the room as well as smooth panning of sound effects and musical instruments that the JBL control 1 handle easily.

Look out for the THX logo on the end that’s something very rare that you don’t see today on the end credits. I could only imagine how this would have sounded at the CIC UCI High Wycombe in THX because that cinema had one of the evil wickedest lows second to the Empire Leicester Square. Only two JBL 4645 wow I’m impressed!

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/466943_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/466943_DV_L_F.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/GrandCanyonsw-re-mix.jpg

scott fitlin
10-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm afraid I'm already in trouble at AK, for hanging out in the McIntosh forum.

PeteOH, thats also a LUSTFUL gear, however, IF you HAVEN'T actually looked at a MAC directly into HER GREEN/BLUE meter eyes, there is a chance, slim it is, but a chance that your wallet won't turn to EMPTY!

:D

pmakres1
10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
OH, thats also a LUSTFUL gear, however, IF you HAVEN'T actually looked at a MAC directly into HER GREEN/BLUE meter eyes, there is a chance, slim it is, but a chance that your wallet won't turn to EMPTY!

:D

...and if you HAVE, it's ALL OVER! It happened to me a long time ago. Actually, I successfully avoided looking into her eyes during all the years I spent growing up in the Binghamton area, where MAC is made. Then, while living here in Florida, I looked into her eyes... :hyp: :hyp: and I was powerless.

And yes, my wallet emptied out fast! :eek:

Pete

scott fitlin
10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
And even I must admit, THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL and SOUND sweet.

Just glad that Internet via flatscreen hasn't the same effect as in person!

OH, wait a minute! I own a few MACS as well!

I got MACKED!

WDJ
10-31-2008, 02:55 PM
One trick may be to only buy Mac without meters like a 2120. But then you go ahead and buy a couple of 275s and get addicted to the glow.....

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
...and if you HAVE, it's ALL OVER! It happened to me a long time ago. Actually, I successfully avoided looking into her eyes during all the years I spent growing up in the Binghamton area, where MAC is made. Then, while living here in Florida, I looked into her eyes... :hyp: :hyp: and I was powerless.

And yes, my wallet emptied out fast! :eek:

Pete

Holy cats! How many watts per side and is bridging capable with the Macs?

Those JBL 6290 amps have enough steam to power a Space Shuttle.:D

And even I must admit, THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL and SOUND sweet.

Just glad that Internet via flatscreen hasn't the same effect as in person!

OH, wait a minute! I own a few MACS as well!

I got MACKED!

You mean you were super-sized!:D

BOOO!:D

pmakres1
10-31-2008, 02:58 PM
One trick may be to only buy Mac without meters like a 2120. But then you go ahead and buy a couple of 275s and get addicted to the glow.....

Yes, and the 2120 is very nice too. But it was too late for me. I went with a 2125 for my Master bedroom system.

I've also made the mistake of looking at the glow of the 275...so far I haven't succumbed and bought one though...

Pete

pmakres1
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM

The MACs in the photo are MC501 Monoblocks, no need to bridge these. They are conservatively rated at 500 watts each. Most, if not all, of the MAC 2 channel amps are bridgeable. I used to own an MC252, and I ran it bridged for a mono output of 500 wats to power my B460 sub.

Pete

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Like the soft blue lighting display so are these (mono-block) types as I’m not familiar with these amplifiers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34970&stc=1&d=1225413611

pmakres1
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Like the soft blue lighting display so are these (mono-block) types as I’m not familiar with these amplifiers.

Yes, I was answering this question at the same time you were asking the question.

Pete

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
The MACs in the photo are MC501 Monoblocks, no need to bridge these. They are conservatively rated at 500 watts each. Most, if not all, of the MAC 2 channel amps are bridgeable. I used to own an MC252, and I ran it bridged for a mono output of 500 wats to power my B460 sub.

Pete

LOL you posted just a few seconds before I was speculating.

Oh, you got a B460 18” sub bass nice. Does the Macs have clipping LED indicator to warn you of overload?

Oh, is that 500 watts into 8Ω or 4 Ω?

Booo!:D

Yes, I was answering this question at the same time you were asking the question.

Pete

Well have you got your online status as showing as offline because that’s where I’m getting confused here?:D

pmakres1
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
LOL you posted just a few seconds before I was speculating.

Oh, you got a B460 18” sub bass nice. Does the Macs have clipping LED indicator to warn you of overload?

Oh, is that 500 watts into 8Ω or 4 Ω?

The Macs have power guard circuits, which protect aganst overload, as well as an indicator light that lets you know if or when the circuit is operating.

Most Mac amps, including the 501, are autoformer-coupled, with taps for 2,4, and 8 ohms. The MC501 is rated at 500 watts RMS into 2,4, or 8 ohms.

They are wonderful amps.

Pete

pmakres1
10-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Well have you got your online status as showing as offline because that’s where I’m getting confused here?:D

Oops, yes it was, I just fixed it......:D

Pete

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Oops, yes it was, I just fixed it......:D

Pete

LOL oh so I guess you’re offline now! For Pete sakes what drugs is my cat on! It’s off its head tonight! I know one thing it’s black and it’s the witches cat! :D

So how many of those Macs have you got rigged up there?

scott fitlin
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
LOL oh so I guess you’re offline now! For Pete sakes what drugs is my cat on! It’s off its head tonight! I know one thing it’s black and it’s the witches cat! :D

So how many of those Macs have you got rigged up there?Must be some of that "HIGH GRADE" catnip!

:bouncy:

Doc Mark
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Evening, Friends,

Well, today, I had to take Sweet Bride to the airport, to fly out to her next gig, and whilst down the mountain, did some shopping. After the mundane business stuff, I looked around and succeeded in picking up a few DVD's that we've been wanting.

- I got the new Indiana Jones offering, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I'll wait to watch that one until SB comes back home!

- Found a good DVD of "Titanic", which we wanted to score, as our version of that movie is in VHS. I wanted to compare the sound of the VHS copy, to that of the DVD. Fun!

- We've been looking for a DVD of "Jurassic Park", and today, scored a "three-fer"! The "Jurassic Pack" contains all three JP movies: "Jurassic Park", "The Lost World", and Jurassic Park III" Oohhhhh, now THAT one I just may have to watch tonight, or at least soon!! I want to "feel" the T-Rex stomping around in the original movie!! ;):D:applaud: The fun continues!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

scott fitlin
10-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Those JBL 6290 amps have enough steam to power a Space Shuttle.:D

You mean you were super-sized!:D

BOOO!:D I WAS!

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I WAS!

Well I guess you can start making a new year’s resolution shed a few pounds off.:D

JBL 4645
10-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Evening, Friends,

Well, today, I had to take Sweet Bride to the airport, to fly out to her next gig, and whilst down the mountain, did some shopping. After the mundane business stuff, I looked around and succeeded in picking up a few DVD's that we've been wanting.

- I got the new Indiana Jones offering, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I'll wait to watch that one until SB comes back home!

- Found a good DVD of "Titanic", which we wanted to score, as our version of that movie is in VHS. I wanted to compare the sound of the VHS copy, to that of the DVD. Fun!

- We've been looking for a DVD of "Jurassic Park", and today, scored a "three-fer"! The "Jurassic Pack" contains all three JP movies: "Jurassic Park", "The Lost World", and Jurassic Park III" Oohhhhh, now THAT one I just may have to watch tonight, or at least soon!! I want to "feel" the T-Rex stomping around in the original movie!! ;):D:applaud: The fun continues!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

I think it would be near to the Dolby stereo 4:2:4 when A&B between VHS tape and the first edition of Titanic that has Dolby six-track and Dolby stereo 4:2:4 that can switched easily without interrupting play.

The VHS would be slightly more compressed between (a few db) difference I think?

Indiana Jones isn’t out until the (Monday 10th November 2008) this film as been hammered on the AVS I’m not keeping my hopes up for this one as far as I’m concerned this hasn’t been a good year, maybe next year will be better or maybe The Day the Earth Stood Still can deliver something different even if its remake [sigh].

I think the atomic bomb scene should be good for all 18” JBL subs on the LFE.1 track. :D

http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LB/879529_DV_L_B.jpghttp://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/879529_DV_L_F.jpg