PDA

View Full Version : LE5-9 question...

sklimek
10-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi, I was given a pair of JBL 4313B speakers. One of the LE5-9's has a tear in the cone and I have found a possible replacement. This LE5-9 replacement has an inverted dust cap compared to the 4313B LE5-9. The seller mentioned that the speaker came from the L220/L222 JBL Oracles and he is not sure if there would be a sonic difference. Other than the inverted dust cap - this mid range speaker appears flawless and the LE5-9 is clearly marked on the back.

Any thoughts if this inverted dust cap speaker would work and compliment my other 4313B speaker???

Edit:

I guess in thinking about this a bit more and searching it appears the voice coil material for the LE5-9 is the same for the L220/L222 and the 4313B. Perhaps whether the dust cap is inverted or not may not make to much difference???

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53102&postcount=1

Thanks - Stan

3dbdown
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Stan...

There's not a super-abundance of differences among the
LE-5 series of drivers as regards their sound. I'm talking hearing versus measuring, of course. Mostly some smoothing out of mid-range bumps from the earlier versions.......I have 2 old JBL lab samples of the LE5-9 prototypes that I was running in my Jubals. I recently changed back to the original LE5-5's for the sake of originality only. But, my point is, that my lab samples also have inverted domes. This was not the factory configuration, however. Mine not only sounded great, but I think I actually preferred them over the originals, and may swap them back.

Elsewhere on this forum, if you do a search on the LE-5XX's, you will find a breakdown of which coils, and magnet structures each had. There were round and flatwound, copper and aluminum voice coils, as well as Alnico and Ferrite magnet structures.

Good luck and good hunting, but I think you'll be fine with what you have.

4313B
10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
There's not a super-abundance of differences among the LE-5 series of drivers as regards their sound.That is probably why JBL finally killed off the more expensive LE5-9 recone kit. All that is left is the round wire LE5-10 kit.

sklimek
10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Stan...

There's not a super-abundance of differences among the
LE-5 series of drivers as regards their sound. I'm talking hearing versus measuring, of course. Mostly some smoothing out of mid-range bumps from the earlier versions.......I have 2 old JBL lab samples of the LE5-9 prototypes that I was running in my Jubals. I recently changed back to the original LE5-5's for the sake of originality only. But, my point is, that my lab samples also have inverted domes. This was not the factory configuration, however. Mine not only sounded great, but I think I actually preferred them over the originals, and may swap them back.

Good luck and good hunting, but I think you'll be fine with what you have.

Hi 3dbdown,

OK thanks, I think it is probably a good way to go and get the inverted dust cap version. The price is good as compared to the recone-ing prices I was seeing for example Simply Speakers recone at $168.00. Is there an audioheritage good reccomendation for recone services???

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Stan

vernb
11-01-2008, 11:34 AM
As you might know I have a pair of LE5-8 NOS, still in sealed boxes.

I could use them but can't get myself to open them up:banghead:. So I will try to sell them instead.

But, here comes my real question: I also have LE5-2 burned/damaged, and a friend of has the recone kits for them and has started the repair. Problem is we don't have any dustcaps for them.
Where can I buy 2 inverted dustcaps for LE5-2 ?
Vern