PDA

View Full Version : Lancer 66 cap in crossover??

Dormie
10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
hello, in the Lancer 66 technical manual on the JBL site, gives a cap as 6uF, but no voltage,

the original cap is
Chicago Condenser Corp,

as a quickfix i installed a 4.7 uF, 100v,
which sounds fine,

should i replace with 6uF,
what voltage would you recommend,
or run with the 4.7 uF caps????

thanks for any advice

3dbdown
10-29-2008, 01:12 AM
The 100v cap should be fine.....I generally use 250 volt Solens, but as long as the voltage rating is above anything likely to occur in the network, you'll be fine.

Some like to use either 400 or 600 volt caps, but I've never tried it. They are just too large physically for my taste. Maybe someone else can jump in and explain the advantages of the higher voltage ratings.

Rick

3dbdown
10-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Also, if you don't want to parallel caps to get the actual 6.0 ufd value, I personally would go with a 6.2 ufd rather than 4.7. You don't want to wander too far away from the designed crossover frequency, and the 6.2 is readily available as a standard value. Much closer to design than the 4.7 ufd. You might also try the MPP (metalized poly-propylene) style caps when you change them. That's just my opinion, and there are many other opinions about these things on the forum!!

Good luck.

Rick

Mannermusic
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, and why not add a .01 by-pass cap (in parallel with the 6.0) while you're at it? A nice improvement in sound. The Dayton film/foil jobs (027-450) from Parts Express work just fine for less than a buck. MM:)

3dbdown
10-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Gotta throw in my 2 cents worth on the bypass caps. If the replacement caps are low cost, poor quality, like the Chicago condensers he's changing, then the .01uf bypass caps would be a great addition. But, if he's using higher quality caps, such as Solens or Auricaps or Sonic craft, then the bypass caps will not improve, and may even be detrimental to the overall sound. Suggest trying without bypass caps, and then trying with them to see which likes better. Also, bypass caps, if used, should be Polystyrene. MPP caps should provide dynamics, and polystyrenes should add spaciousness.

Only my opinion, of course!

Rick (JBL #12)

Dormie
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
thanks for all replies, .................................................. .............. Found 1.5 uF 200v caps at sayal.com located at 3791 victoria park ave,scarborough,ontario .................................................. ................................................. Ran 4 in parallel to get the 6 uF, ................................................ Thanks again