PDA

View Full Version : A problem with our L300's!

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Greetings, Friend,

Well, it had to happen, didn't it!?!? I've finally found a "problem" with our beloved L300's. Want to know what it is? Thought you might! ;) In a nutshell, I can't stop listening to them, and I've noticed my tinnitus is getting just a tiny bit "worse" these days!!! :blink::bouncy: These speakers are so clean and clear, that it's very easy to let the volume creep up to the "dangerous" area, and I've found it VERY hard to keep from playing them too loud. They just don't sound that loud to me, only sweet, well-defined, and clear as a bell!! Dang, I sure hate to think that maybe I'll have to make do with something less, if I'm hurting myself with the L300's!! :blink::blink::( Oh, well.... we'll see how it all turns out. I have even thought of seeing if I can install an "audio governor" in my system that only allows 75-80 db's of SPL..... but, I'm not sure that has been invented, yet!! ;);):blink::D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Beowulf57
10-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Dear Doc,

There is only one cure for your illness: play some horribly recorded music at tinnitus-inducing SPLs. This will cause you to turn down the level for at least 30 minutes. Pro Re Nata :D

pmakres1
10-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Greetings, Friend,

Well, it had to happen, didn't it!?!? I've finally found a "problem" with our beloved L300's. Want to know what it is? Thought you might! ;) In a nutshell, I can't stop listening to them, and I've noticed my tinnitus is getting just a tiny bit "worse" these days!!! :blink::bouncy: These speakers are so clean and clear, that it's very easy to let the volume creep up to the "dangerous" area, and I've found it VERY hard to keep from playing them too loud. They just don't sound that loud to me, only sweet, well-defined, and clear as a bell!! Dang, I sure hate to think that maybe I'll have to make do with something less, if I'm hurting myself with the L300's!! :blink::blink: Oh, well.... we'll see how it all turns out. I have even thought of seeing if I can install an "audio governor" in my system that only allows 75-80 db's of SPL..... but, I'm not sure that has been invented, yet!! ;);):blink::D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc,

I'm very sorry to learn of the problem you are experiencing with your L300's. There is but one thing to to: immediately crate them up, and send them to me. I will evaluate the problem and determine its correctibility. In the likely event I determine that the situation is irreversible, I will have to hold onto them for an indefinite period of time, for your protection! :D

Pete

4313B
10-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Doc,

I'm very sorry to learn of the problem you are experiencing with your L300's. There is but one thing to to: immediately crate them up, and send them to me. I will evaluate the problem and determine its correctibility. In the likely event I determine that the situation is irreversible, I will have to hold onto them for an indefinite period of time, for your protection! :D

PeteExactly! This is one of those "I'm a trained professional so don't try this at home" situations. It seems that Doc didn't get that memo. You should probably just call a shipping company and have them go to his house and pack and ship them to you. We can hook him up with a pair of Lancer 44's and he'll be fine.

pmakres1
10-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Exactly! This is one of those "I'm a trained professional so don't try this at home" situations. It seems that Doc didn't get that memo. You should probably just call a shipping company and have them go to his house and pack and ship them to you. We can hook him up with a pair of Lancer 44's and he'll be fine.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :applaud:

....this is for your own good, Doc. We don't want you to hurt yourself any more!

Pete

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey, Guys,

DANG, it's nice to have such good friends!! Comforting to know that you all have my best interests at heart!! Thank you all, very much!! Now, where can I find some big stamps that I can lick and stick to the sides of those L300's?? I'll get them in the mail to you, Pete, just as soon as I can figure out how to get some huge stamps, and how to get the L300's through the Mail slot in our tiny mountain Post Office. Go ahead and wait out by your Post Box, as those offending L300's should arrive any time, now! ;);) Thanks, again, for helping me out with this horrible problem! I feel better, already!! ;):D:bouncy: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Rolf
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Doc. Don't listen to all the other folks here. Pack and ship? No need. Just talked to LaForge on the Enterprise, and he is happy to beam them to my coordinates. Just let me get your coordinates first.:p

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey, Rolf,

MAN, that's a fantastic idea!! Unfortunately, I just read a "white paper", written by 4313B and Jean Luc Picard, in which they set forth the hypothesis that L300's, when beamed as particles, always end as Minimus 7's on the other end!!! :blink::blink: Hummmmm.... guess they'll have to work on that one! Just as well, actually, because my tongue is really getting dry, licking these blanket-sized stamps I got at the Post Office!! :blink::nutz:;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

pmakres1
10-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey, Rolf,

MAN, that's a fantastic idea!! Unfortunately, I just read a "white paper", written by 4313B and Jean Luc Picard, in which they set forth the hypothesis that L300's, when beamed as particles, always end as Minimus 7's on the other end!!! :blink::blink: Hummmmm.... guess they'll have to work on that one! Just as well, actually, because my tongue is really getting dry, licking these blanket-sized stamps I got at the Post Office!! :blink::nutz:;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Good man, Doc...

I'l be anxiously waiting at the post office! :bouncy:

Pete

mech986
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
hey Doc,

Quit goofing around with these guys. I'll be by at the end of the week with my van and either 1) take the offending speakers away so they can't hurt you anymore or 2) remove all the transducers and stuff an L19 inside so you can still have limited tunes while admiring the L300 cabinetry.

I'll let you know when to expect me. It's OK, you don't have to thank me!!

Bart

By the way, you could get a limiter but I'm not sure you'd like what you hear.

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Howdy, Bart!

Great to hear from you! How's the family? We need to do another lunch with Grumpy, and maybe a few others in our area, one of these days!

As to the L300's, thanks, very much for your clever and simple suggestion!! Following your thoughts, and anticipating your arrival, I've already hauled them out to the curb, so they are out there waiting for you. I'm sure they will be safe up here in our mountain community, as nobody would have much use for such things up here! Maybe I'll cover them with old newspapers, just to keep the birds from "soiling" them, until you get here! See you soon....... ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who is blessed beyond compare, with caring and very helpful JBL Friends!!) ;):D:applaud:

pmakres1
10-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Howdy, Bart!

Great to hear from you! How's the family? We need to do another lunch with Grumpy, and maybe a few others in our area, one of these days!

As to the L300's, thanks, very much for your clever and simple suggestion!! Following your thoughts, and anticipating your arrival, I've already hauled them out to the curb, so they are out there waiting for you. I'm sure they will be safe up here in our mountain community, as nobody would have much use for such things up here! Maybe I'll cover them with old newspapers, just to keep the birds from "soiling" them, until you get here! See you soon....... ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who is blessed beyond compare, with caring and very helpful JBL Friends!!) ;):D:applaud:

Wait a minute...I had first dibs..er, I mean, I was the first to offer to take them off your hands...er, I mean, to offer to help! :D

Pete

mech986
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Last one to Mark's house is a rotten egg!!

Uh, Mark, when is trash day? I want to make sure those Waste Management guys don't get a gift!

Bart

Titanium Dome
10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Sorry Bart. I'm already on my way. :drive: My ETA is 1600 hours, and I've got the skip loader in the back of the truck. :nanana:

Doc, I'll drop a pair of L100s out front for you, with the tweeters and midrange disconnected for your safety. Those woofers will do just fine as full-range drivers.

T.D.

Regis
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
So sorry Doc! Please accept my apologies for selling you those lousy L-300's. I will be there in ten minutes, far ahead of Ti-Dome, as we have a flightline here and I can commandeer an F-22 without too much trouble. If I see Ti's van out on Highway 33, I will send him a warm greeting. I hope Ti has the correct detectors and infrared countermeasures.:D

pmakres1
10-27-2008, 05:13 PM
You're all too late...I called Bax Global the minute I learned of the problem, and they were on their way over to Doc's to pick them up. By the time you read this, I'm sure they will be en route to my house. One they arrive here, I...uhm, I mean...Doc will be SO relieved!!

Once they arrive, I'll be sending Doc a nice pair of 4313B's.

Doc,

Aren't you glad to know you have so many friends here willing to help?

Regis,

You must be crazy...uhm I mean, you should be be ashamed of yourself for selling these to anybody!

Pete

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey, Guys,

WOW, this has turned out so much better than I had expected!! I REALLY appreciate all the concern for my medical welfare, and indeed, when I got home from picking up Sweet Bride at the airport, those crappy old L300's were gone!!! But, hey, who left those wonderful little Minimus 7's in their place???!!! I'd say I got the best end of THAT deal, as the poor bastar.......er, I mean, the poor unfortunate that actually ended up with those offensive L300's will never know what hit him!!! Poor Sot!! Regis, it speaks very highly of your character that you would try so hard to undo the damage that you inadvertantly caused by selling us those loud, old, piss-poor performing, medically harmful L300's!! I am SURE that, had you known how very dangerous they were, you would never have inflicte......., er, I mean, sold them to us!! ;):D

Ah, well...... everything has turned out just fine, I think, and those little Minimus 7's sound pretty good, too. I DID bi-amp them, and am using my two DC300's, in mono mode, for their powerful woofers, and one 100 wpc Harman/Kardon 870 amp for each tweeter. Man, do they sound good!!! And, the new Ashly crossover really makes them sing, too!!! I did put an extra JBL emblem on the front of each of them, after I bought them from our friend, Don, up in the high desert, and that makes me feel better about using the 7's, and talking about them here at LH!! Thanks, again, for all your help my Friends, and good luck to whomever ended up being saddled, er..... I mean disposed of those out-of-date L300's for me!!! ;);) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who is feeling MUCH better, now, and who is going to have to go turn down those powerful Minimus 7's! MAN, maybe they are too much, too..........!!!):blink::blink:

JBLRaiser
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Graphics/Company/Bose/Logo.gif Bose QuietComfort
Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headset
by Adrian Wong

Active Noise Reduction Many people use headphones but most have never heard of active noise reduction (ANR) headphones. It isn't a recent invention, by any means. The theory behind active noise reduction was actually introduced back in 1934 when a German physicist called Paul Leug patented the idea! However, it wasn't till the late 80s when the first commercial active noise reduction headset was introduced. So, what does this active noise reduction technology really do?
To make this short and simple, ANR reduces the amount of background noise and JBL L300's that gets to the wearer of the headset. It does this by detecting the unwanted noise and creating inverse (opposite) sound waves to cancel out the noise of the JBL L300's. So,

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Reviews/Bose_QuietComfort/Noisy.jpg you shouldn't hear any background noise at all!
Even if you use headphones a lot, you may not be aware of how just much background noise that's being transmitted to your ear from the JBL L300's. Often, what you are listening to is distorted or drowned out by ambient noise from the JBL L300's that gets through your headphones. Examples of such disruptive noise include air-conditioning ,crying babies and JBL L300's. So, if you want better audio clarity, you will have to decrease the volume or move away from such noise sources such as JBL L300's.
Headphones using passive noise reduction methods like fully enclosing ear cups and sound absorbing materials help remove a lot of unwanted noise but they are often uncomfortable and heavy. In addition, they can't block out low frequency noise. You may think that a little noise won't hurt but noise causes fatigue and stress, especially over long periods of time of listening to JBL L300's.
That's why the first ANR headsets were designed for aviation use and JBL L300's. Pilots and passengers have long endured loud engines with nothing more than passive headsets. Jet lag, caused by long flights and JBL L300's, are often aggravated by the lack of proper noise protection.
But is active noise reduction only suitable for aviation use? Or is it only a matter of time before this technology becomes mainstream? To find out, I'll be examining as many ANR headsets I can get my hands on to find out just how well they work outside of an aircraft. Today, we will take a look at the first ANR headset to be tested at Adrian's Rojak Pot - the Bose QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headset! Really smooth out you JBL L300's!!!

Doc Mark
10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
JBLRaiser,

You are the Man, Sir!! Goodness gracious, that was funny!!!! :applaud::applaud::D:D
I'm buying a pair for my new Minimus 7's, since someone kindly hauled away those old nasty L300's. I'm sure the noise cancelling stuff will work with the 7's too, don't you think?? Thanks for a great way to end the day!! Now, I'm swilling the very last my a frosty Newcastle Brown Ale, and hitting the sack, happy as a pig in poo with all this concern and all the great medical suggestions!! ;) Take care, and thanks for a great laugh, my Friend!!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

scott fitlin
10-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Isn't this a great forum? Like a family, we help one another!

It's a great thing.

:bouncy:

hjames
10-28-2008, 05:07 AM
You do know that tinnitus can be exacerbated by strong brew like Newcastle? But fear not - your friends are coming to take away the Newcastle before it can cause any additional damage and will leave you some nice safe Lite beer to help you out ...

If you don't like "Lite" beer we've got some Rolling Rock for ya!

JBLRaiser,You are the Man, Sir!!
I'm buying a pair for my new Minimus 7's, since someone kindly hauled away those old nasty L300's. I'm sure the noise cancelling stuff will work with the 7's too, don't you think?? Thanks for a great way to end the day!! Now, I'm swilling the very last my a frosty Newcastle Brown Ale, and hitting the sack, happy as a pig in poo with all this concern and all the great medical suggestions!! ;) Take care, and thanks for a great laugh, my Friend!!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Greetings, Friend,

I've finally found a "problem" with our beloved L300's - I can't stop listening to them, and I've noticed my tinnitus is getting "worse" these days!!! :blink::bouncy: These speakers are so clean and clear, that it's very easy to let the volume creep up to the "dangerous" area, and I've found it VERY hard to keep from playing them too loud.
Dang, I sure hate to think that maybe I'll have to make do with something less, if I'm hurting myself with the L300's!!
;);):blink::D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Beowulf57
10-28-2008, 06:34 AM
JBLRaiser,

You are the Man, Sir!! Goodness gracious, that was funny!!!! :applaud::applaud::D:D

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc...this is what you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/Minimus-7-upgrade-kit-for-Optimus-Realistic-classics_W0QQitemZ200266976105QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item200266976105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Minimus-7-upgrade-kit-for-Optimus-Realistic-classics_W0QQitemZ200266976105QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item200266976105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

I checked with the vendor and this kit will also work with your L300s if you ever get them back.

Doc Mark
10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Morning, All,

Heather, take my L300's, but PLEASE leave me my dark beer!!! I didn't start drinking beer, at all, until I was 50 years old. Whilst visiting Ireland, I had a Guinness Draught, and it as love at first sip!! You should have seen the look on my Mom's face, sometime later, when she saw me order and drink a dark microbrew!! PRICELESS!!:jawdrop::cheers:
Now, on to the business at hand. OK, whomever it was that dragged off our old L300's, RETURNED THEM LAST NIGHT!!! :eek::blink: AND, they also left the Minimus 7's, too, so what does THAT tell you!!??!! I guess they just have NO taste for good speakers, and so left the M7's, and they probably already found out what POS the L300's are, and decided to get rid of them by returning them to the end of our driveway!! OH, well..... guess we'll just have to keep them, and "make do" with whatever they offer us!!!! Sweet Bride's already carried them upstairs and hooked them up in their normal places, so I guess it was meant to be that they remain in our custody! Sigh............... ;);):D:D:applaud::applaud: Take care, Friends, and thanks for helping to make this a fun and enjoyable thread!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc ("Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi [with our L300's] again"!)

Doc Mark
10-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Hey, Beowulf,

Thanks for the upgrade link! I'll certainly check into it for the M7's, and hey, I'll do the L300's, too, as I'm SURE they really don't have much of a crossover in there, eh?! ;):D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc