PDA

View Full Version : Fabric for speaker grills

wu6fiend
10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Whats the best source for fabric to repair the grills from a pair of L80Ts? Looking for as close to original looking. I contacted foamtrends, they suggested a fabric store. If anyone out there has a specific brand name for fabric (even better, a product #, that would be great!)

rdgrimes
10-23-2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22289

coherent_guy
10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know if you'll find any of these appropriate, but it is supposed to be grill cloth. I have had nothing but good experiences with this vendor.

http://www.parts-express.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=140

wu6fiend
10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the tip. I ordered a couple of yards from speakerworks.com, should be here soon. We shall see how close it is to the original. Fingers crossed!

elwood127
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
acoustimac.com has nine instock colors and about fifteen other colors of acoustically transparent fabric. Non-stocked colors are 5yd. minimum plus $18.00 cut charge.

Mr. Widget
10-31-2008, 10:53 PM
acoustimac.com has nine instock colors and about fifteen other colors of acoustically transparent fabric. Non-stocked colors are 5yd. minimum plus $18.00 cut charge.I saw them at AES a couple of weeks ago... they have some great looking stuff... didn't look into the speaker grille cloth at the time. I may order their swatch kit. I have the Speaker Works swatch kit... and have used their black and white.

Widget

wu6fiend
11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Received my order from speakerworks.com. Fabric is to my eyes identical to the original, only "darker" (ie. not faded). So, that is good!

Question: how does one attach the new fabric to the frame? I assume it is to be glued, but what glue is the best?

Mr. Widget
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Question: how does one attach the new fabric to the frame? I assume it is to be glued, but what glue is the best?There are several threads where people describe how they have made their own grilles. I use 3M spray adhesive... the webbing fabric glue #90 is least likely to soak through and look ugly.

Widget