PDA

View Full Version : JBL BassQ is out

Valentin
10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
after at least 5 years it comes out

It wonder the price and if its the same tech system as the Lexicon MC12 or the same algorithm's that the new sdec4500 has in

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=BASSQ&Language=ENG&Country=MX&Region=USA&cat=EQU&ser=PER

there is a lot of talk about this solution in Floyd Toole new Book

has some had a chance to audition the lexicon solution

seams it is sold only throw synthesis dealers

Titanium Dome
10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Sweet! Yes, long, long overdue.

Fangio
10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Pic

pos
10-21-2008, 03:26 AM
owner manual:
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's%20Manual/BassQ_OM_LR.pdf

Valentin
10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
no price figures
????????

rdgrimes
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
My S120PII sub has in and out jacks for a "BassQ" module, but no mention of how they would be used. There's also no mention in the BassQ manual on using such a connection, so I guess it was an idea that did not come to fruition?

Robh3606
10-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't think it would work in my set-up. I only see 2 inputs. Mono Left for LFE or L/R for stereo. I would need 3 inputs one for LFE and Stereo L/R. I don't see a work around for that in the manual. Sure it can run 4 subs but it look like it's 2 left and 2 right. Am I missing something??

Rob:)

Valentin
10-22-2008, 10:06 AM
subs can go any where, left and right are only designations

if you have rectangular room and 2 or 4 sub there is very good chance of getting very good results just with positioning the subs correctly

but if you have a opening or room constrictions or asymmetric the bassQ will offer very good results for a determined area in the room, this is the normal case

very few people have dedicated rooms

Robh3606
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM

I think you are missing the point. I have dedicated Left/Right and LFE subs. When I run 2 channel the L/R are on. For DVD/HT I add an LFE channel. The module can have up to 4 subwoofers all optimized for the room. The problem I see is a maximum of only 2 inputs. You either run Mono or L/R. That won't work for me. I need to have 3 seperate input channels that can be ran through the DSP. It's not the number of subs it's the number of available input channels.

Valentin
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
corrected

Titanium Dome
10-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I think you are missing the point. I have dedicated Left/Right and LFE subs. When I run 2 channel the L/R are on. For DVD/HT I add an LFE channel. The module can have up to 4 subwoofers all optimized for the room. The problem I see is a maximum of only 2 inputs. You either run Mono or L/R. That won't work for me. I need to have 3 seperate input channels that can be ran through the DSP. It's not the number of subs it's the number of available input channels.

C'mon, Rob, why create a problem where there is none? Just buy two units. :p

Valentin
10-22-2008, 03:11 PM
there is little use fore stereo sub Bass as most is recorded in mono and bass stereo effects are higher in frequency than the usual 80hz cut

Of curse purist argument otherwise but scientifically at this moment that's what has been found.

JBL 4645
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
there is little use fore stereo sub Bass as most is recorded in mono and bass stereo effects are higher in frequency than the usual 80hz cut

Of curse purist argument otherwise but scientifically at this moment that's what has been found.

Unless a frequency (Spectrumlab) waterfall proves it otherwise.:D

I just saw a thread of this up over on Home Theatre Shack and plus the product has been out since last year according to this thread. LOL

So what is the cost of this product I’m interested in new gadgets which is what this is.

So does this also replace the dbx 4800 LOL or even cheap Behringer DCX2496 LOL I get the strong feeling this can be handled in different direction with equal satisfactory results.

Come on Rob, where the little picture show, you know we all like a little peek.
:useless:

if you have rectangular room and 2 or 4 sub there is very good chance of getting very good results just with positioning the subs correctly

but if you have a opening or room constrictions or asymmetric the bassQ will offer very good results for a determined area in the room, this is the normal case

very few people have dedicated rooms

Well we can forget about my sodden room its real pigs ear of mess. I mean I have flipping chimney breast sticking out buy as much as 18” and it’s the height of the room and its width is 5 feet 1 inch height 7 feet 8 inches and it sods the front up down to 80Hz.

This means I need to stick in false wall at the front to make it seem like one continues wall and it needs to be thick as possible and dense as well otherwise I’m buggered.

I’ll soon move the pc into the bedroom and pace 42 inches of false walling where the pc is next to the living room door and see if that tackles or makes any bass sense with few frequency REW sweeps.

Blimey this long manual by the looks of it reading though it now.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/BassQ_OM_LR.pdf (http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/BassQ_OM_LR.pdf)

JBL 4645
08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Well almost finished reading the (introduction specifications features) and there is one thing I’m starting to twig onto and that’s (the minimal phase) issue that is troublesome for most I sure.

Two Listening Curves
Two different playback curves have been
implemented to better match the type of
playback material. Cinema mode closely
follows the standard for playback curves
used in commercial cinemas and scoring
stages. This will allow the system to
closely match the experience of the
directors and producers of popular films
and TV shows. Music mode is a gentler
playback curve that better mimics the
frequency response in most music
production studios.

Well I think most of us sucker’s for this two curves hmm.:D

Problem: Audible hum from the speakers.
1. Check the power outlets and make
sure that there is a solid earth
ground present. (The services of an
electrician may be required.)
2. Make sure that all signal cables are
routed away from power cords.
3. If these suggestions fail, experiment
by running ground wires between
the rear-panel screws of the JBL
BassQ processors and the other
system components, such as the
surround processor or signal processing
package.

Well that’s thing I’ve been applying for a few years and it seems to work on the elusive Mr. Electronic Gremlin humming on your sound system.