PDA

View Full Version : Might Buy L80T. Help Decide

DeafEars
10-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Local guy has L80T pair for $175. Drivers look ok, cabinets have some small chips. Garage sale and were not available to hookup but he said he could later if I was really interested.

Assuming they work when hooked up:
Is that price reasonable?
Are parts available for refoaming, or replacing or is that not cost effective?
Will a 75W/ch Denon receiver drive them satisfactorily?
I know this not the most desireable JBL model, but need something with good bass for Big Band era music.

SEAWOLF97
10-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Local guy has L80T pair for $175. Drivers look ok, cabinets have some small chips. Garage sale and were not available to hookup but he said he could later if I was really interested.

Assuming they work when hooked up:

Is that price reasonable?
Are parts available for refoaming, or replacing or is that not cost effective?
Will a 75W/ch Denon receiver drive them satisfactorily?

I know this not the most desireable JBL model, but need something with good bass for Big Band era music.

I have a pair..

1. I paid $100 for pair in VG cond, that seems abt going rate
2. yes
3. yes

I bought mine unheard. Do not really like them. YMMV. No level controls. Bass may be disappointing for your intended use. Mine are just in storage for spare parts, heavy. I think its same driver set as 4410, which is much better. The components are worth more than the speakers.

jay
10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
I bought a pair for $40 thinking I'd found a real deal, but after listening to them, couldn't ditch them fast enough.

The trouble seemed to be the woofer, which had poor definition. Drum hits made a dull thud for example, instead of sounding like a drum. :(

Another part of the blame may have been the overly complex crossover, which had 16 parts, IIRC.

Whatever it was, something sucked the life out of the music with that system.

I was glad to find a buyer.

DeafEars
10-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Sounds like his asking price is out of line anyway. I may have him hook them up and see what I think, then negotiate a better price. Bass is important to me. Want a string bass to sound correct, not boomy.

Titanium Dome
10-18-2008, 02:50 PM
The smaller L60T sounds better. $175 is too much, and most of us who know them wouldn't pay $75 for them.

hjames
10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
I have a NICE pair of L60Ts for sale - even have a custom cut piece of smoke glass for the top of each one to protect them!
$100/pair
PM for more info