PDA

View Full Version : JBL S800 Synthesis 110V to 230V need help

Loffen
10-16-2008, 03:40 PM
It looks like I am getting some S800 to power my 2242H's

Since I am a Norwegian guy and we do not have the S800 here I will need to convert them to 230V.

I was told that they where made by Bryston and should be similar to the 4B st but I am really unsure since the does not have any fans and the S800 have.(Please correct me if I am wrong)

So does anybody know the origin or have the internal diagrams or even better know how to convert them if possible ?

WDJ
10-18-2008, 03:18 AM
Rear of a US (110VAC) S800 seems to indicate that it would be OK to use a 50 HZ input. So, if you can't modify the unit to take 240VAC directly, you may be OK to just use an external step-down transformer (takes your 240VAC and steps it down to 110VAC, frequency remains the same).

Look like you would need a pretty good size unit to support the 2400w input. A cheaply made transforme may well produce an audible hum, but a high-quality unit will work for this.

Try: http://www.jbl.com/home/product%5Fsupport/

Good Luck!
Wayne

Loffen
10-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Thanks Wayne

I do not think that product support would answer... But I will give it a try :)

And I have been thinking about a step down transformer,but since I will have 4 x S800 so are we talking about almost 10,000. watt :o:

I did find this one,but like you said so am I also worried about hum,have anybody tried it ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360087448389

Loffen
12-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Bump :o:

I have received the amps and still need some help.

They have been made by ATI and it is only a jumper to move on the supply board to get it to 220 volts.

The transformers are wired in paralell,would it be so simple to just wire them in series ?

And do anyone know the output voltage from the transformers ?

I will take some pictures later today,so you can see what I am talking about.

Loffen
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I have taken some pictures, but my connection is down so they will be added later.

When I run the transformers in series I get a little bit under 55 volts on the secondary side,can someone check if that is the correct voltage ?

I have not put power to the boards.

Loffen
12-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Okey

The first picture is from the control board,the two jumpers have been removed and a new one is placed over 220 volt mark.

the picture in the middle is of the transformer wiring set up for 110 volts,the wires that comes from the right side goes to the transformers and they are set up in paralell.

The last picture,here you can see that the black jumper on the left side has been removed and the bottom brown wire has been set at the top connector,this will set the transformers in series.

Any comments ?

Still no answer from ATI,JBL Synthesis USA and Europe regarding the output voltage, but hopefully it will come :o:

porschecab
12-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Loffen - Hope the amps arrived as shipped!!
It is my understanding you can get a PS Audio P-500 or 4.7 (can't recall which now - that can be switched between 50/60) and run that with the amps plug these directly into them since the amps can run at 50. This was something another Lansing member talked about (regarding the JBLs @ 50) while I know the P-500 or 4.7 can run at either 50/60.
Something to look into if your rewire (certainly the best route) doesn't pan out.
Dan

matsj
12-19-2008, 06:55 AM
I´ll have a look at my s650 and s400 when i come home, i´m not sure if the look the same ?

mats

Hoerninger
12-19-2008, 07:26 AM
... the picture in the middle is of the transformer wiring set up for 110 volts,the wires that comes from the right side goes to the transformers and they are set up in paralell....

Any comments ?

It is usual practice to set up in parallel for 110 V and in series for 220 (230)V.
If you are not knowing what you are doing it is best to make a drawing of the circuitry first.

Just a thought - no instruction.

Loffen
12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Hei Dan

Everything went well all the way to Norway,but when I was at the shipping company to pick them up the clerck lost one on the floor :banghead:
One of the cooling fins was bent,but I do not know if there is something else broken yet,it will of course be opend up and checked when I got the first amp up and running.

I will keep the PS audio in mind :)

Hei Mats

Great if you could check,the most interesting part would be the output voltage from the tranformers :o:
I am pretty sure the transformers in the S800 are good for 220 (230) volts,the transformers are marked : JBL S800/S820 56-0036 (S820 is the european S800 )

Thanks Peter

This is pretty simple stuff so I am sure that I got them into series ( I used to repair circuts boards on pinball machines as a hobby )

yggdrasil
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Also keep in mind that you should have half the Ampere rating on your fuses too.

subwoof
12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
The output voltage of the transformer is of no concern when changing the input strapping ( 120 to 220 ). Similarly the line frequency isn't that big a deal unless it's a very special harmonic canceling type transformer - and they are NOT used in power amplifiers.

Change the strapping as pictured and you are set. The fan is in parallel with one winding so it will always see 120V. This is standard practice.

SKOL

Loffen
12-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Short update :)

They are now playing as they should at 230 volts,I took a chance and connected the transformer,no problems, I did also rewire the one that was lost on the floor and it is working perfect :applaud:

Thanks for your inputs guys :)

Below is a picture of two of them playing in my cinema room.
Yes I know.. the room is far from done,we just put the stuff in there last weekend to do some testing ( like vibrations and so on )