PDA

View Full Version : White 4400 EQ's

neanderthal
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I guess I have two questions pertaining to the White 4400 EQ's.As I understand from scouring the forum that the later production 4400's are the ones to have as the earlier 4400's if something went wrong parts are not to be found to repair them. I have a guy that wants to sell me a pair of 4400's for $300.00 shipped and the serial numbers are 1443G & 1282G. Question 1 is are they worth the asking price and question two are these the early or later production 4400's. Thanks in advance for any advice pics and the email he sent is as follows:
Hi Pete,

The first filter freq is 31.5 Hz
The low pass bottom cutoff is 20 Hz

Both EQs are boost/cut
S/Ns are 1443G & 1282G

Both are missing some term strip screws
and have minor rack rash. No known issues

I'm selling off ALL my analog outboard gear -
Just bought a Yamaha MC7 board.

speakerdave
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the 4400 is the later model; I have not seen any that did not start centered at 31.5 Hz. The earlier ones were 400x, had larger fixed transformers at most of the positions, and started centered at 40 Hz. The 4200 are cut only. The 4301 starts at 40 Hz, but is 1/6 octave up to 800 Hz--nice.

I think they are worth that money if they are in good condition. You might be able to get cleaner ones for that money, but only "might." They've been sold for much more, but some of the fever has gone out of these, since so many people are settling for low-dollar digital processing. Argh.

I think the White EQ's sound very neutral. The used price is generally less than 10 percent of what they went for new, and most of the ones I've seen for sale do not look like they've been on the road. Typically they've been pulled from a fixed installation, often a church. The protective covers for the knob panel, once you've achieved your settings, are well worth having.

Google White Instruments for their website and much more information.

neanderthal
10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I think the 4400 is the later model; I have not seen any that did not start centered at 31.5 Hz. The earlier ones were 400x, had larger fixed transformers at most of the positions, and started centered at 40 Hz. The 4200 are cut only.

I think they are worth that money if they are in good condition. You might be able to get cleaner ones for that money, but only "might." They've been sold for much more, but some of the fever has gone out of these, since so many people are settling for low-dollar digital processing. Argh.

I think the White EQ's sound very neutral. The used price is generally less than 10 percent of what they went for new, and most of the ones I've seen for sale do not look like they've been on the road. Typically they've been pulled from a fixed installation, often a church. The protective covers for the knob panel, once you've achieved your settings, are well worth having.

Thanks Dave for the info and taking the time to respond.I can't remember reading anything negative about them here on the forum but alot positive from those that own them.I'll go ahead and get them then.

scott fitlin
10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
You'll lke them.

The one thing, my little bitty peeve, is frequencies (cut/boost) + and -, and - ( cut only ) overall level adjustment on 4400,s.. But if your systems right, after boosting a few freq a nudge here and there, you will probably attenuate overall level.

As compared to the 4200A,s which I use, which allow -15 cut on freqs, and up to +10DB restoration gain on overall level.

IF You get these I have the instructions which are easy to get aNYWAY, HOOK UP IS SIMPLE, you'll hear something, GOOD!

neanderthal
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
You'll lke them.

The one thing, my little bitty peeve, is frequencies (cut/boost) + and -, and - ( cut only ) overall level adjustment on 4400,s.. But if your systems right, after boosting a few freq a nudge here and there, you will probably attenuate overall level.

As compared to the 4200A,s which I use, which allow -15 cut on freqs, and up to +10DB restoration gain on overall level.

IF You get these I have the instructions which are easy to get aNYWAY, HOOK UP IS SIMPLE, you'll hear something, GOOD!

Thanks for taking the time to respond scotty. I did get the White 4400's they are right here,got here tuesday.I need to get an amp for the highs yet. I can't say I have heard anything bad concerning Pass Labs or McIntosh amps.Here's where I'm at on this amp situation...Automotive is my deal and there are quality built cars and cheap built throw away cars.Iam sure there are amps that are built the same ,quality and cheap.
If it is another amp manufacturer other than Pass labs or McIntosh Iam lost :banghead:.I talked to Rick (Saeman) and he doesn't think I need an amp on that level which I probably don't ,but Iam ignorant on what is a very high quality and what is junk or mediocre gear.I'm really an as***le when it come to quality.Even though I probably don't need it Iam leaning towards either the Pass labs X150 or the X150.5 to power the highs on the 4350's because they are very high quality and extremely well built. If there is going to be any more tax returns after this election I'll get the amp then.