PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4412's

delshadowrio
04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I was referred here from audiokarma. I have read some threads and I am excited about this forum.

I just aquired 4 JBL 4412's with bad surrounds. I have the new surrounds now and was wondering... The kit came with the shims and new dust caps. I have read on other forums that a surround can be replaced with using a AA battery instead of the shims to not cut through the dust cap.

Any opinions on this? I am sure many of you have changed numerous surrounds and I am curious to what your experience has taught you.

My goal is to restore these right and not cut corners.

MM

Robh3606
04-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Well opinions will vary but I have yet to cut a dust cap. I always just redo the foam and leave the rest alone. So far I have gotten good results in I have not had a refoamed driver go out of alignment. Do a search on refoaming. Boputnam authored a very good thread on the subject.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=surrounds

Rob:)

delshadowrio
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Rob,
I did a search after i posted, the thread was extremely informative. it gave many options. I think not cutting the caps are the way to go.
Thanks again, you have been a great help at both forums

MM

Robh3606
04-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Your welcome. Glad I could help.

Rob:)