PDA

View Full Version : Le5-10 cone repair

infinityQ2
10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I have had my L110s' for 30 yrs. last night my idiot friend threw a nip bottle and hit a midrange (le5-10) there is a small tear of the cone about 1" long coming from the surround towards the dust cap. Any repair advice?? I was thinking superglue.

rdgrimes
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Easy enough to replace off eBay. You could use LE5-6, 8, 10 or 12. I would not repair, but replace or re-cone.

rdgrimes
10-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I would snap this up if I were you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230298777796

They usually go for $30-40.

SEAWOLF97
10-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I have had my L110s' for 30 yrs. last night my idiot friend threw a nip bottle and hit a midrange (le5-10) there is a small tear of the cone about 1" long coming from the surround towards the dust cap. Any repair advice?? I was thinking superglue.

My son, who is normally a bright college student, was moving his/my L1:):)'s and placed them face down in the van....I came over to help unload and was taken back :biting: that he did not care for them properly...the LF and MF drivers had rips like you describe.....I just took the refoaming white glue , after smoothing all surfaces down, and made about an inch circle over the rips, let dry , and then did the same thing on rear side of driver.....could not hear any difference, looks crappy, but he keeps the grills on anyway...He doesnt get anymore, until I see a little more maturity.

Maybe L1:):)'s are bulletproof, as I've seen many mistreated and still playing ??

infinityQ2
10-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Easy enough to replace off eBay. You could use LE5-6, 8, 10 or 12. I would not repair, but replace or re-cone.
Is there a noticeable difference between the(le5-10) and the (le5-6)?? Thanks for the tip on the ebay auction, great deal..

rdgrimes
10-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Is there a noticeable difference between the(le5-10) and the (le5-6)?? Thanks for the tip on the ebay auction, great deal..
The 6, 8, 10 and 12 are identical. Only difference is the finish on the frame.

brutal
10-13-2008, 07:17 AM
That item has a repaired dust cover. I was going to put a single LE5-6 up on fleabay this week, I'll PM you with the details if you'd like.

LRBacon
10-13-2008, 08:23 AM
The 6, 8, 10 and 12 are identical. Only difference is the finish on the frame.

The LE5-6 frame front is not brushed smooth like the LE5-10. It also has the round cast marks on the face of the frame otherwise it is identical acoustically to the LE5-10.
I painted the bright aluminum frame fronts on a pair of LE5-12's a flat black to use in a pair of L110's. No one will ever know that they were LE5-12's unless they are removed from the cabinet.

I have repaired torn LE5-10 cones with the same glue used to glue surrounds to cones. I try to use the least amount of glue as possible. I can't hear any audible difference between one I've repaired and a good one. Although someone else may be able to. The repaired cone doesn't look as good, since the glue has a shiny appearance.

Larry

SMKSoundPro
10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
We did this bandaid thing alot on the road, when necessary. A little scrap of paper front and back of cone and some elmer's glue.

Good enough until a full recone.

Not prissy perfect, but reasonable.

dblaxter
10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
hi are you interersted in a real kit or just a replacement driver ??,i have both

brutal
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
The LE5-6 frame front is not brushed smooth like the LE5-10. It also has the round cast marks on the face of the frame otherwise it is identical acoustically to the LE5-10.
I painted the bright aluminum frame fronts on a pair of LE5-12's a flat black to use in a pair of L110's. No one will ever know that they were LE5-12's unless they are removed from the cabinet.

I have repaired torn LE5-10 cones with the same glue used to glue surrounds to cones. I try to use the least amount of glue as possible. I can't hear any audible difference between one I've repaired and a good one. Although someone else may be able to. The repaired cone doesn't look as good, since the glue has a shiny appearance.

Larry

Apparently, as with many things JBL, there are anomalies. I have a black-faced LE5-6 sitting here with a brushed (machined) face, no casting marks, nor rivets on the magnet. It must be worth at least a grand for this unique configuration! ;-)

infinityQ2
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
That item has a repaired dust cover. I was going to put a single LE5-6 up on fleabay this week, I'll PM you with the details if you'd like.That would be great thanks..

infinityQ2
10-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Larry

I used the surround glue but only on the back of the cone, worked great, tear almost not noticeable in front, thanks for the advice guys, Mike.

aviator
07-14-2010, 03:34 AM
I've a pair of LE5-2 mid driver. One of them is damaged-the voice coil burnt left. I've read that the JBL made it with round-wire and ribbon-wire too, am I right? How can I know, what is in my driver? Could it be repaired?
Does anyone have engineering design specification for it?

Robh3606
07-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Try looking here

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?5706-The-LE5-Matrix

Rob:)

aviator
07-14-2010, 04:12 AM
I've read it, but he wrote that:

"The Alnico LE5-2 and LE5-3

For reasons not very well understood, there are two versions of the LE5-2, the round wire version and the ribbon wire version. Just knowing the model number doesn't help. Later versions of the LE5-2 were round wire only and the LE5-3 became the ribbon wire version. The Alnico motors had a .080 gap height and a flux density of 1.65 T.
"

What means "later" exactly?

Robh3606
07-14-2010, 06:59 AM
What means "later" exactly?

Some time after the original start of manufacturing.

Rob:)