PDA

View Full Version : AMP Troubles

RIGGED
10-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a Ross Systems mixer/amp that on occasion makes a sudden popping noise when used. The thing rocks and has plenty of bass so I'd hate to rid myself of it but I don't want to destroy my speaks.
Any ideas fellas?

Thanks,

RIGGED

scott fitlin
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a bad part on the board, transistor,op-amp or something.

Proffesional service time, take to repair shop.

RIGGED
10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a bad part on the board, transistor,op-amp or something.

Proffesional service time, take to repair shop.

That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll just sell it for a fraction of what I paid and just get me another amp.

Thanks,

RIGGED

Mr. Widget
10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Why not get it fixed? If you like it, you should keep it.
Too many of us are filling America's dumps with serviceable stuff... you should at least get a repair quote.

Widget

RIGGED
10-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Why not get it fixed? If you like it, you should keep it.
Too many of us are filling America's dumps with serviceable stuff... you should at least get a repair quote.

Widget

That does seem to be the norm eh?
Perhaps I will-although some of the repair shops I've spoken to charge 50 clams just open the darn thing up. I was thinking of purchasing a pro amp without all of the bells and whistles, just raw power.
There is a Peavey 400wpc amp for sale on CL that looks tempting at 200 bucks.

RIGGED

scott fitlin
10-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I have a Ross Systems mixer/amp that on occasion makes a sudden popping noise when used. The thing rocks and has plenty of bass so I'd hate to rid myself of it but I don't want to destroy my speaks.
Any ideas fellas?

Thanks,

RIGGEDWhen one of my old Crown PSA-2,s crap out, they also make a steady thuddy, popping sound. MOTORBOATING we used to call it, and usually we blew output transistors.

This is an amp/mixer? What is the net impedance of the load per channel your powering? How many speakers per channel, and are they 8ohms?

Peavey is not a bad amp, really! They bought Crest, learned how to make amps, discontinued the crest Pro Series.

Remember the Peavey CS-800? That was built by GW for Peavey, essentially a BGW 750. Kicked butt economical price.

QSC also makes good economy priced amps. Reliable.

:bouncy:

RIGGED
10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
When one of my old Crown PSA-2,s crap out, they also make a steady thuddy, popping sound. MOTORBOATING we used to call it, and usually we blew output transistors.

This is an amp/mixer? What is the net impedance of the load per channel your powering? How many speakers per channel, and are they 8ohms?

Peavey is not a bad amp, really! They bought Crest, learned how to make amps, discontinued the crest Pro Series.

Remember the Peavey CS-800? That was built by GW for Peavey, essentially a BGW 750. Kicked butt economical price.

QSC also makes good economy priced amps. Reliable.

:bouncy:

The speakers are of 4 way design. Each cab has a large horn for midrange, a smaller horn for highs, a 10 midrange driver, and an 18" woofer for bass; their impedence is 4ohms.
The amp/mixer says 400wpc on the rear of the box.

I can't recall ever making the unit clip even after many nights of rockin my living room. I keep the gain at 9 o'clock and my receiver about the same.

RIGGED

scott fitlin
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
4 ohm load might be too low impedance, check mnfr ratings.

RIGGED
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
4 ohm load might be too low impedance, check mnfgr ratings.

The rear of the box says minimum load 4 ohms.
Well, the amp just walked out of my abode for half of what I paid for it. Interestingly enough, the darn thing didn't pop once after 15 min of full blast sound-go figure.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

RIGGED