PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to non JBL speakers...

Akira
10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
What are some non JBL speakers that have impressed you?
Perhaps to the point of committing audio adultery.

For me it has hearing Joni Mitchell's 'Help Me' on a pair of Allison Ones' --just after buying my first Centuries. Hard to admit they sounded way better.
Twin towers at the perfect height, meant to be mounted against the wall. Smooth and loud with 'JBL like' forward voicing and no fatigue...loved the sealed bass.

Recently saw a pair on Audiogon...almost pulled the trigger....but I would have worn a condom.

demon
10-09-2008, 01:53 AM
martin logan vantage.
http://www.de.martinlogan.com/images/app_images/vantage_app_image.jpg
http://www.de.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/vantage.html
listened to jon anderson + vangelis -did sound alot like the music was melting in my ears. the ol' elf never sounded so sweet again.

:o:

second, linkwitz pluto, amazing imaging! but way to small...for my disco-attitude.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/photos/pluto-p2.jpg
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm

good thread.
cheers,
mikey

Don C
10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I was shopping for 12" three way speakers in 1979, upgrading from my L40s. I did an a/b comparison between L112s and Infinity Reference studio monitors. I bought the Infinities.

Akira
10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
martin logan vantage.
listened to jon anderson + vangelis -did sound alot like the music was melting in my ears. the ol' elf never sounded so sweet again.

second, linkwitz pluto, amazing imaging! but way to small...for my disco-attitude.

good thread.
cheers, mikey

Thanks for the references. Nice to see other systems that have a much different design philosophy and build process.

Allison Ones are here: http://www.positiveimagenews.com/allison.html
Newer version of the ones I remember but, basically the same design. Note that the sealed bass sits on the floor and the mid/high is at ear level...just the way I like it.

SEAWOLF97
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Perhaps to the point of committing audio adultery..

Ohm Walsh A's .....my old mains, now in the HT ...replaced with 250ti's that are not always better.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=166153&postcount=133

..almost pulled the trigger....but I would have worn a condom.

on your finger ?

Regis
10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Some of the non JBL speaks I am fond of (and wouldn't mind owning)

1) AR-9's

2) Some of the bigger (and nicer) Cerwin Vega speakers (the 2000 Towers sounded very nice and were comparable to the L-65's).

3) Select Infinity models

4). Definitive Technology

scott fitlin
10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
on your finger ?:applaud:

laurie
10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Some of the best speakers I heard were Spendor speakers and Monitor Audios in a hifi shop in Manhattan in 1999 when I was on holiday.

Floor standing Epos speakers also sound impressive.

Audiobeer
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Aerial 10T's. Wish there was a pair localy.

Titanium Dome
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Revel Ultima line and Ultima2 (though it can be argued they are JBLs in disguise)

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm thinkin' hard. I even went out and auditioned some Theil CS3.7s, at $7,000 each. What a joke! Do people actually buy this stuff? I might have to see if we can get Crutchfield to loan a pair for the great L300 vs. L7 shootout. Sorry. I guess after fifty years of JBLs in the house, my ears are no longer capable of being objective. :banghead:

I guess I'll have to drop by my friend's local McIntosh emporium and see if he has any of the B&W 800Ds at something like $18,000 a pair I can use to test my hearing. I heard a pair at a friend's house in California this past summer but thought nothing of them as they were playing other than how ugly and over-the-top the design was. See, people DO buy this stuff.

Allanvh5150
10-10-2008, 12:38 AM
If you want to see something totaly different visit the Arvus site at http://www.arvusloudspeakers.com/history.html
Most of there gear sounds absolutely stunning. A bit pricey though but it is made down under her in New Zealand. They used to make a subwoofer that had 6 x twelves and a 27" passive radiator, two metres tall or so. They called it the "bladder buster". Their speakers use no crossovers or attenuation devices. Instead they rely on the design of the speaker for the correct level and response. But it aint JBL......................

Ducatista47
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I like my Hammer Dynamics Super 12's better than anything I have heard in stores, but I have not heard much the last fifteen years. You have to built the Super 12's. The driver and crossover components are a kit for $650US shipped (to build a pair), so they are not the least bit expensive.

In the stores, I like the Canton 809/890 series. Bass is not up to JBL standards, but the midrange is to die for and they are quite coherent for non full range. Vibes are in the room. About $5000US a pair, I think.

Clark

richluvsound
10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Tannoy.... has to be the best speaker I ever heard for jazz, classical-infact anything vocal or ambient in any way........ Great build quality.

If you love music then you have to atleast, listen to Tannoy.

Rich

4313B
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I replaced all my JBL 6.5" 2-ways (18Ti, 4406) with 6.5" Tannoy DC's once the JBL drivers were no longer serviceable.

Mr. Widget
10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
If you love music then you have to atleast, listen to Tannoy. I used to love 'em... not so much anymore... even our own beloved JBL has bested them on most counts.

I guess the one speaker that I truly covet is this one... and it is also a concentric driver design.

bbrown
10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Although I love my JBLs, I am still partial to certain models from Klipsch. For an L100 size speaker, the newer Heresy III stands out. The LaScala II is also a winner and has killer looks. Their newest high end series, the Paladium is awesome, but too expensive for me.

Maron Horonzakz
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
TANNOY Westminster:D

scott fitlin
10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
B & W 801 and 802,s.

Small Dynaudio Nearrfield monitors, 6.5 in woofer, small tweeter, dome type. In rightl seating spot at mixing console, forming trilateral listening position amazing clarity, dynamics, and image. Good bass, really, considering, BUT only in nearfield area.

TAD woofers, 1601A,B and 1603.

Doc Mark
10-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Evening, Friends,

This is something that I posted on AK, but it fits here, as it describes the most interesting speakers I've ever heard, and also the most odd-ball!! Here goes:

Well, hummm......... Probably the most esoteric speakers I've ever heard, which did sound pretty darned good, were a large pair of Hill Plasmatronics, which had a helium driver for a tweeter!! Looked like a purple lightning show inside a glass box when the tweeters were operating!! The owner was an engineer from General Dynamics, down in San Diego, from whom our band was buying a Crown DC300A amp, and in addition to the Plasmatronics, he also had four large subwoofers, one in each corner of his large listening room. He used a large rack of Threshold amps, if memory serves, and had an H/P frequency generator hooked up to his multi-thousand watt system. When he ran the generator down to around 10 HZ, and cranked up the volume, the water in his back yard swimming pool started to undulate!!!!!!!! Every corner in his listening room had cracks in them, and the fireplace was pulling away from the drywall of both walls!!!! MAN, those were some interesting, lovely, and great-sounding speakers, I must tell you!!! They were one of the first speaker systems that really did a fine job of reproducing the female voice, and I also remember being very impressed with the way the Hills handled violins, and brass instruments, too.

But, to me, the very best speakers I've heard are the ones I currently own, JBL L300's, with 2235H woofers, LE-85's, 077's, and bypass caps in the crossovers!! I've wanted a pair of these since I first heard them, in the late '70's, and now a that I own a wonderful pair of L300's, driven by an Harman Kardon 870 amp, paired with an H/K AVR 20 receiver, they have certainly lived up to everything I remembered about them!! I dearly LOVE them, and listen to them every single day!! When listening, I always smile and shake my head, and thank The Lord that He brought them to me!!! Yep, those are MY favorite speakers!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Akira
10-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Tannoy.... has to be the best speaker I ever heard for jazz, classical-infact anything vocal or ambient in any way........ Great build quality.
If you love music then you have to at least, listen to Tannoy.
Rich
Disclaimer: I have not listened to a modern 'home' setup but, the design philosophy remain essentially the same.

I realize a lot of people are Tannoy fans but, I am a devout Tannoy hater.
I have used a lot of them in recording studios (Reds and Golds) and own a pair of System 12DMT's. They are excellent as a working tool because what ever you do on them translates well when you take your mix outside. They are SO neutral, and that's what I don't like. They are opposite to JBL's--lacking in presence, personality and life--dynamic realism. Though there is ample bass, they lack tight articulation.

My Tannoys were bi-amped and they breathed well, effortlessly and time aligned but, only in mix position. And that is the Achelies heel of the system. The compression driver has a tiny image compared to the woofer and only sounds right in one narrow position. The build quality is as good as anything I've seen.

Akira
10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I used to love 'em... not so much anymore... even our own beloved JBL has bested them on most counts.

I guess the one speaker that I truly covet is this one... and it is also a concentric driver design.
What is it...URL?
It looks like it would sound great...and you don't even have to turn it on to impress.

Mr. Widget
10-12-2008, 12:04 AM
What is it...URL?

http://www.tadhomeaudio.com/home.html

http://www.tadhomeaudio.com/pdf/tad2_datasheet.pdf

cooky1257
10-12-2008, 02:20 AM
It has to be Tannoys.
The large 215 DMT's are quite reserved in comparison to the classic JBL sound and can seem like they lack passion and dynamics-but its just a relative thing.
I disagree with the previous imaging comments-get the toe-in right.
I like neutral and exciting/coloured I just lack the room for both;-(
The dilemma is killing me:D

scott fitlin
10-12-2008, 07:37 AM
215 DMT? Large tan cabinet 1 fifteen and 1 fifteen coaxial

if so, I heard them many times at a studio in Miami. I thought they were very good.

They used different amps, for different musics, and clients, on a Crown 2300, dynamic they were! They had like ten different amps for them, studio grade, reference, the pro amp, Crown made em kick! And a digital master of a Maddonna song her voice, oh, was 3D hologram, you know enjoy Tannoy for what they are, they arent JBL, nor do they want to be.

JBL makes the best bass, dynamic mids, crystal highs, but, theres other things too.

Or, put another way, because JBL is so good, these other companies have something to aspire to! Hard uphill climb, yeah, thats it!
:bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, hummm......... Probably the most esoteric speakers I've ever heard, which did sound pretty darned good, were a large pair of Hill Plasmatronics, which had a helium driver for a tweeter!! Looked like a purple lightning show inside a glass box when the tweeters were operating!!

was just reading about Plasmatronics last night,,,mentioned that the LF had a usable life of 300 hours. :o:

laurie
10-12-2008, 02:45 PM
martin logan vantage.
http://www.de.martinlogan.com/images/app_images/vantage_app_image.jpg

:o:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/photos/pluto-p2.jpg

good thread.
cheers,
mikey

I was reading about the Martin Logans this weekend in the latest Hifi World magazine, they are speakers I would love to hear, just to see (or hear!) what they sound like - very intriguing.

Don C
10-13-2008, 07:29 AM
I had Martin Logan Sequel 2s and JBL XPL 200s together in my living room for a month or so. I had to choose, and I kept the JBLs. The MLs were not well balanced from the woofers to the panels and seemed to consume enormous amounts of power without playing very loud. They also needed to be pulled way out into the room to sound their best, and that doesn't work for me.

Ducatista47
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I like my Hammer Dynamics Super 12's ... You have to built the Super 12's. The driver and crossover components are a kit for $650US shipped (to build a pair), so they are not the least bit expensive.
Clark

I guess a picture would have been nice. Mine look like hell and I will probably paint them eventually. I don't care what speakers look like, but if I did they would look like this, if I could muster the necessary skill. They are four feet tall.

JBL Dog
10-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I haven't used that many non-JBL speakers. My brother has a set of B&W 802's which are quite nice. I'm currently using a set of Pioneer HPM100's in the garage and like them better than the 4311's and 4410's I previously had hooked up.

RIGGED
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Although I love my JBLs, I am still partial to certain models from Klipsch. For an L100 size speaker, the newer Heresy III stands out. The LaScala II is also a winner and has killer looks. Their newest high end series, the Paladium is awesome, but too expensive for me.

I hear ya. I really enjoy hearing my 78 Cornwalls sing-esp female voices...ie Annie Lennox.

RIGGED

greyhound
10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/Goldmund_Epilogue_System.jpg

full system almost 300.000 dollar
http://www.arduman.com/aa/Resimler/Mahmut/speaksml.jpg
smaaler system with a little inside view

its the Goldmund "epilogue"

ive heard them like 10 years ago and still can remeber their sound.
better than jbl.
but less ejoyable. didn't have the drive and passion. but further more they were flawless

Doctor_Electron
10-18-2008, 02:53 AM
In '78 I picked up two Dyna MKIII's (with Gold Lion KT-88's) ($50 Ea.) from a dude who had some model of Bertagni speakers and high-end McIntosh gear. He put on some hot jazz.
At the time I had two 4310's and two 4311's, and after leaving there I made believe I never heard those Bertagnis. They sounded Grrrrrrrrrreat.:banghead:

Mr. Widget
10-18-2008, 10:17 AM
At the time I had two 4310's and two 4311's, and after leaving there I made believe I never heard those Bertagnis. They sounded Grrrrrrrrrreat.:banghead:I remember those speakers... I am not sure that the sound impressed me much, but their look impressed me enough to rip off their styling. :D

Here is a BES brochure image I grabbed from eBay and an old pic of one of my BES "inspired" Dynaudio loaded speakers circa 1982.

Widget

speakerdave
10-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Widget, your BES inspired speaker certainly harmonized well with your (Italian?) couch.

Mr. Widget
10-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Widget, your BES inspired speaker certainly harmonized well with your (Italian?) couch.:rotfl:

Levitz Italian? That picture was taken by the second owner of them... nothing lasts forever. After building them, I listened to them for a few years and then moved on.

Widget

Tweak48
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM

If you love music then you have to atleast, listen to Tannoy.
Rich

Most people who like JBL also like Tannoy.

No surprise really. Both Jim Lansing and Guy Fountain faced the same design challenges in roughly the same time period; and came up with strikingly similiar solutions for the motion picture industry. Just 5,000 miles apart.

The Tannoy Ardens in my HT were my rep samples from nigh on 28 years ago, and still sound great. I use JBLs everywhere else in the house, though; S3100s, 4425s, SVAs.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/tweak48/DSC_0049.jpg

Ducatista47
10-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Has anyone here heard the Tannoy Churchills? EveAnna's are pictured.

vernb
10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Technics SB-7000 are my absolute favorite non-JBL speakers. They have dynamics, detail and crisp airy sound that makes me want to dance and sing, VERNB
BTW they are 15" woofers, high efficiency and from 1979 !

Mr. Widget
10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Has anyone here heard the Tannoy Churchills? Yep... a few times. A friend bought a pair. Dumped them shortly thereafter.

They definitely do somethings very well... I don't think they're a great general purpose system... but then I feel that way about many speaker systems that have a loyal following.

Widget

mixsit
10-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll go. :D
Coming from my long love and fascination with JBL -had a very crude 075/D1300 setup for years, later Klipsch, it took me a while to get comfortable with the idea of a low efficiency system. But these are true, sweet, dynamic..

http://www.4sptech.com/version2/conad.html
I have found a home. ;)

Wayne Smith
CatHouseSound

Doc Mark
10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
was just reading about Plasmatronics last night,,,mentioned that the LF had a usable life of 300 hours. :o:

Hey, SeaWolf,

WOW, that's very interesting! I do know that each Plasmatronics cabinet had it's own helium cannister, which was inserted into the back of the enclosure in it's own niche. The fellow who had them told us that he had to refill that cannister about four times each year, if memory serves, or maybe more. I seem to recall they were listed at around $14,000 a pair, or so. I do wish I had paid closer attention to what he was using for subwoofers, though. The four he had, one in each corner, really shook his house to bits, that's for sure!!! :blink::blink: I remember being somewhat taken aback by the fact that enclosures the size of Klipsch Horns needed subwoofers, not to mention FOUR of them! But, maybe the owner was trying to lengthen the life of the woofers in the Plasmatronics by using subwoofers. Don't know, really.... But, interesting speakers, nonetheless, and I'm glad I actually got to listen to a pair of them, back then. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Tom Brennan
10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Well there are several Altecs that I prefer to JBLs, obviously. I've heard some excellent EVs.

I'm keen on electrostats though I own none; I like some of the Martin-Logans, Acoustats and the old Quad 57.

Some of the Maggies sound OK too and the B&G planars can sound very good if properly integrated into a system.

devzero
10-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I've got a pair of Yamaha's NS-1000Ms, which I find to be some great speakers. They're not going to blow you out of the room with their bass, but they are accurate. I supplement the low end with a Velodyne sub, which blends very well.

John

Horndriver
11-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I have a set of Whaferdale 15" Tri-axials in their original Cabs that are as smooth as that Cuban San Cristobal I smoked a couple of weeks ago...also have a set I built with some spare parts like ESS,Heppner, Hofner...I am currently working on some boxes for a pair of Soundcraftsman 12" Bi-radials with matching passive woofers.....more to come:D

Good to have survived the summer of 69'

jcrobso
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I attended a lecture by Paul Klipsch years ago, very interesting man indeed.
Yes they many good speakers out there in addition JBL.
Beyma speakers from Spain, Renkus Hines from Germany, EAW and Tannoy.
Also there are many companies that are making JBL style speakers.
But JBL is still my speaker of choice. John

Doctor_Electron
11-09-2008, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;224516]I remember those speakers... I am not sure that the sound impressed me much, but their look impressed me enough to rip off their styling.

Because of the thread title/intent, I did not mention what IMO were the most impressive speakers I've ever heard.
A year or so after the aforementioned encounter, a buddy who liked my 43xx JBL's introduced me to a dude who had a great setup, from the room through the gear to the speakers... JBL 4333's.

Gregory Earl
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Perhaps to the point of committing audio adultery.

Klipsch Cornwalls are one of the best sound for pound speakers I've ever heard. But I'm biased when it comes to horns. I love'em. Guess that's the reason I've got the '86 vintage as well as some naked birch LaScalas.

I'd love to get a JBL Horn and compare. Loving my newley aquired L100's at the moment.

laurie
11-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I always thought Pro-Ac speakers sounded damn good.

JBL 4645
11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
I used to have two (Tandy Memorex three-way lodspekers 12” bass mid 5” mid range and I think 1” tweeter. I can’t seem to find any pictures of it on Google image. The speakers where produced back around 1988 -89?

SEAWOLF97
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey, SeaWolf,

WOW, that's very interesting! I do know that each Plasmatronics cabinet had it's own helium cannister, which was inserted into the back of the enclosure in it's own niche. The fellow who had them told us that he had to refill that cannister about four times each year, if memory serves, or maybe more. I seem to recall they were listed at around $14,000 a pair, or so. I do wish I had paid closer attention to what he was using for subwoofers, though. The four he had, one in each corner, really shook his house to bits, that's for sure!!! :blink::blink: I remember being somewhat taken aback by the fact that enclosures the size of Klipsch Horns needed subwoofers, not to mention FOUR of them! But, maybe the owner was trying to lengthen the life of the woofers in the Plasmatronics by using subwoofers. Don't know, really.... But, interesting speakers, nonetheless, and I'm glad I actually got to listen to a pair of them, back then. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

like this ?

Doc Mark
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey, SeaWolf,

Well, that's basically how they looked, but I'm sure the ones I saw and heard were a bit less "science-fiction-looking", and were much better looking than those (apparently) early versions. I will say, however, that the HF plasma driver did reproduce female voices, violins, and other such things, with amazingly life-like quality. It was the best I'd ever heard, and who knows, maybe the best I'll ever hear, period. That having been said, I very much like the JBL 2405's that reside in our L300's, and think that, for a compression driver system, they are the best of that type I've yet heard. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, with that old photo/story! Very neat! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc