PDA

View Full Version : L65's

infinityQ2
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
does the green wire with the black stripe for the woofer 122a, go to + or - , also there does't seem to be as much sound coming from the 077 as the midrange. Is that normal or could there be technical difficulities??????

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure that's actually made clear here, unless I'm missing something:
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L65A%20Jubal%20ts.pdf

Not sure this answers the question, either: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82378

rdgrimes
10-09-2008, 07:24 AM
I'd expect to find the coding written on the crossover, as well as the polarity. I've yet to see one that wasn't black stripe for negative.

Regis
10-09-2008, 08:13 AM
also there does't seem to be as much sound coming from the 077 as the midrange. Is that normal or could there be technical difficulities??????

The problem is probably related to the high frequency or brilliance L-Pad. Within the speaker label on the front, there are two adjustable resistors or L-pads. These often get dirty over the years and will cut in and out. You can try cleaning them or better yet, replacing them. Sometimes twisting the knob a half dozen times or so will get them to work.

If you want to replace them, the bad part is that you have to carefully remove the original (and valuable) decal or foilcal as we call it. Get a hair dryer and a very flexible thin putty knife (available at any hardware store). Heat up the decal and slowly work the blade underneath as the glue softens. It should come off intact. Don't rush as these are not replaceable and repro's are expensive!

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 09:04 AM
there does't seem to be as much sound coming from the 077 as the midrange. Is that normal or could there be technical difficulities??????You'll never hear the same level from a UHF driver as you will from a mid-range. Even my 075s crossed at 2400 don't put out much more than a whisper when you isolate them from the lower-frequency drivers, and yours are crossed at 6500. If you hear no difference when you adjust the brilliance pot then you might have a problem. Is this something new you just figured out, are the speakers new to you, or do they sound like always but you just decided to stick your ear in the 077? :confused:

infinityQ2
10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
You'll never hear the same level from a UHF driver as you will from a mid-range. Even my 075s crossed at 2400 don't put out much more than a whisper when you isolate them from the lower-frequency drivers, and yours are crossed at 6500. If you hear no difference when you adjust the brilliance pot then you might have a problem. Is this something new you just figured out, are the speakers new to you, or do they sound like always but you just decided to stick your ear in the 077? :confused:
Yes, they are new to me. The brilliance control works fine, no static. I've heard so much about the 077 I guess I just expected more...

BMWCCA
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, they are new to me. The brilliance control works fine, no static. I've heard so much about the 077 I guess I just expected more...Well then, next we have to ask what are you listening to them with? The 077 shouldn't stand-out, it should just deliver crystal-clear highs that sound "right".

infinityQ2
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd expect to find the coding written on the crossover, as well as the polarity. I've yet to see one that wasn't black stripe for negative.
What are the speakers in your picture?. Do you own them?, Mike.

BMWCCA
10-10-2008, 05:54 PM
What are the speakers in your picture?. Do you own them?, Mike.L212: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1977-l212.htm

infinityQ2
10-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Well then, next we have to ask what are you listening to them with? The 077 shouldn't stand-out, it should just deliver crystal-clear highs that sound "right".
Pioneer sx-1250 with an NAD CD player. Actually gave them some juice recently and they responded beautifully.

infinityQ2
10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
L212: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1977-l212.htm
I have the L110s' and the L65s' are they comparable in any way?? I love the look of the L212s' and shall start my search to hopefully hear and possibly buy. If you don't mind, How does this system hook up to a stereo that doesn't have subwoofer out? For example my pioneer sx-1250.

BMWCCA
10-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I'll let RD answer about how they sound or compare. I was just answering your question about what they were.

If you read the literature in the link you can see the sub is self-powered (energized) and carries its own EQ.

Edwards
10-13-2008, 09:30 PM
This is off topic but essentially the sub on the 212 connects in parallel with the upper frequency cabinets. The sub has right and left connectors for both red + and black - inputs. The right and left cabinets have a pair of posts each.

I’m not too sure what the total load is on the amplifier, but my Accuphase e202 has absoloutely no problem running the L212's at low volumes, or occasionally at very high volumes.

Today’s speakers are designed narrow, to have less reflections, and aid in better projection. These speakers for being so wide, do project a very nice upper register presence. While the sound stage may not be as 3D as some of the newer technology. This speaker does a very very nice job in rendering the “space” of the recording hall on many live recordings that I have. As for the bass, I would say that this system is not for someone that wants a deep “Club” beat, but in the room that I use them in, and the music that I listen to, the bass unit performs just fine. Personally, I think that the midrange is the strength of this setup, It is better than what I had in my L-300’s, and better than my L-65's, L-166's, and L-36’s (that are incredible under-rated speakers) , but now I am further off topic.

One last thing, JBL had some amazing designers working for them by witness of the Paragon, the Aquarius. the L-300, or L250 to name a few, but there is not a speaker ever made that looks quite like or as nice as the L212.

4313B
10-14-2008, 09:24 AM
there is not a speaker ever made that looks quite like or as nice as the L212.I loved the design from the moment I saw it.

I think both David Smith and Greg Timbers still have L212 systems.