PDA

View Full Version : 128H woes

rdgrimes
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I took a chance and bought a pair of 128H woofs that were reported to have been "recently re-foamed". Well they were, with the wrong surrounds. They were too wide, as near as I can tell. On arrival, both cones were very low in the basket, one was bottoming out with very little downward force, maybe 1/4" movement or less. Looking that the brown part underneath, (yes, I am ignorant of the terms), the spider or whatever it's called, I could see it was depressed a long way.

The good news is that the surrounds were installed so poorly they literally peeled right off and both were out in 20 min. However, the cones are still riding way low in the basket. The worse of the 2 has almost no resistance to being pushing downward and bottoms immediately. The other has better resistance and rides near to where it should, though still low.

What's wrong with these drivers? Are they paperweights? They both travel the full distance with no scrapes when centered, don't make any sort of bad noises. Will they "relax" in time and return to a centered position?

Robh3606
10-08-2008, 12:33 PM
If they were stored face up with no or damaged foam for a long period of time they may be anchors. Best bet is to invert them as see what they do after a couple of days. With any luck it's temporary from shipment and the spiders will recover.

Rob:)

rdgrimes
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
How does one normally store woofs? Hanging vertical on a wall?

Also he had them shipping while taped together - face-to-face. So the big bulbous surrounds were pushing against other and this no doubt caused the one to bottom out.

grumpy
10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
$400+ to have them both reconed with factory kits, and you're good to go...
which may make them paperweights to you, but at least it's possible.

Anymore with Ebay, I assume I'm buying cores, no matter what the 'expert'
on the other end of the deal says. Sometimes, you get lucky...

I sincerely doubt that having the surrounds pushed into each other during
the period of shipping caused the spider on just one to sag... it was likely
sunk or weak already. I can empathize regarding your experience, but
Ebay blows for this stuff... more so now than ever.

Robh3606
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
So the big bulbous surrounds were pushing against other and this no doubt caused the one to bottom out.

Well that's good actually. I have had woofers packed that way and after a couple of days they recovered and ended up being OK.

For storage I would reccomend in the box on edge just like they are installed in the cabinets.

grumpy
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I certainly hope for the best as well. If I sound a bit jaded re Ebay, that's
probably accurate.

Let us know how it goes.

rdgrimes
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
For storage I would reccomend in the box on edge just like they are installed in the cabinets.

If either of these survives, I was thinking of hanging them on a nail, face to the wall with a couple spacers on the gaskets to keep the surrounds from the wall. The "Spreakerrepair" surrounds just barely stick out past the gaskets. The ones that were on these stuck out about 1/2".

rdgrimes
10-12-2008, 06:26 AM
One driver wound up dead, the other will be OK once it's re-refoamed.

opimax
10-12-2008, 07:23 AM
DId the seller "help" in anyway?

Mark

rdgrimes
10-12-2008, 07:41 AM
DId the seller "help" in anyway?

Mark
I didn't ask. I bought these "as-is".

SMKSoundPro
10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with the earlier statement: ebay is a great place to buy core baskets. Sometimes I get a working driver, but mostly its something I have to recone to know its 100%.

I would like to buy some 2105,2225 or even 2226 core baskets if anyone has them. 4-8 would be enough.

thank you!

Scotty.