PDA

View Full Version : Candle wax and walnut veneer

rdgrimes
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm working on a pair of L112 that have a number of spots of dark wax that seems to have penetrated clear through the veneer. Anyway I gave up sanding it cause it was starting to look like I was just spreading it around and I might hit bottom anyhow.

Anyone have a solution to spots of wax? I thought about carving them out and filling with colored putty, but I'm not convinced it would look any better. Trying to dissolve it with some solvent might just spread it around too.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/0d/a1/6158_1.JPG

Robh3606
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
You can't shave it off with a razorblade?? Have you tried low heat and cloth to absorb it?? Don't want it to go any deeper into the verneir or spread.

Rob:)

rdgrimes
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
You can't shave it off with a razorblade?? Have you tried low heat and cloth to absorb it?? Don't want it to go any deeper into the verneir or spread.

Rob:)
It's already deep into the wood. Veneer was sun faded and dried out, I think the wax must have been hot and just soaked in, or the sun baked it in. I sanded off maybe 1/16" in that area, even tried a dremel with a sanding disc. It's like a tattoo.

vernb
10-07-2008, 01:57 AM
put a dry cotton cloth on it and iron it with an old iron without steam. The cloth will probably absorb most of the wax, once it is melted. Not too hot
Vern

JBLRaiser
10-07-2008, 06:00 AM
There are many suggestions for this out in Google world. Maybe one will work for you. Good luck

Tim Rinkerman
10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
WD-40 or Xylene will soften the wax without doing any harm to the veneer.

rdgrimes
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
put a dry cotton cloth on it and iron it with an old iron without steam. The cloth will probably absorb most of the wax, once it is melted. Not too hot
Vern
Good suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help. Maybe it's not wax. In any case it looks like it's permanent.

JBLRaiser
10-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Good suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help. Maybe it's not wax. In any case it looks like it's permanent.

with a clorox stick and restain it.

oldsoundz
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Okay I have never tried this but!

My wife works for a carpet company and they use a paper bag with a clothing iron to bring up the wax.

Might be worth a try. Best of luck, that it a beautiful veneer!

rdgrimes
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I tried a few things and re-finished it, but did not like the outcome. This cab also had a serious issue with sun-bleaching on the top and one side. So I stripped it down and started over. I used a dremel and ground out all the spots down to particle board, then filled them with color-matched wood filler. I then stained the top and one side with dark walnut stain followed by linseed/turpentine and finally 2 coats of Tung oil. I used a toothpick and Q-tip to apply walnut stain to the filler to sort of match the grain.Wound up looking pretty decent, you can only see the spots in the right light and the cab is now a keeper instead of a tosser. I learned a lot from this cab, especially in dealing with sun-fading.

Rolf
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Try a "gray paper", the old ones used to pack goods in the shop, and a hot iron.

mbottz
10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
For the hours of work and effort spent, I think the outcome would have been simpler with just a re-vineer of the problem side. Then the color could have been matched with the appropriate stain.
Total time to clean, vineer, and refinish could be less than 2 hours for a first time DIYer. If you have never tried to re-vineer dont shy away as it is really quite easy and can be virtually undetectable with a little practice.

mb