PDA

View Full Version : Speaker hole repair

billslappey
10-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Just got a pair of Jbl L/26's from ebay and one of the screw holes is broken out of the speaker hole on the soundboard. Has anyone had experience in this kind of repair? Thanks

rdgrimes
10-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Depends on how much you have to work with. I assume you're talking about the little nut with teeth that the speaker screw goes in to. So the entire hole is busted out? I have pretty good luck with epoxy in repairing the board that they use in cabs. A large washer under the board will give you some bite to use for a nut and bolt holding the speaker on. Mixing epoxy with wood fiber makes a pretty solid filler, as does epoxy putty. When I'm repairing these broken or stripped out nuts, I use the nut and screw as a clamp and fill in with epoxy, which sticks to the wood well and sets up hard.

billslappey
10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Your recommendation is very sound. It will work.

rdgrimes
10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
If a lot of wood is missing, I wouldn't try to make an epoxy fill to support the speaker screw. It'll just break away when you torque the screw. The large washer underneath should hold things together pretty well though, as long as it has enough bite on solid wood.

Mr. Widget
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Another option is to drill out the hole to 1/4" or whatever is appropriate and slip a short section of hardwood dowel into the hole and glue using wood glue.

Widget

rdgrimes
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
If the hole is large, a chunk of 1/4" plywood glued and screwed to the back side will provide a strong surface for bolting the speaker to.

JBL 4645
10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Has anyone mentioned a picture of it so some of the JBL veterans can advice what’s the best course of repair for you?:useless:

billslappey
10-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I have new woofers coming in and will post pictures of the problem. I appreciate your help. The reason for the new woofers is that the magnet assembly on one came apart in shipping.

JBL 4645
10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I have new woofers coming in and will post pictures of the problem. I appreciate your help. The reason for the new woofers is that the magnet assembly on one came apart in shipping.

:blink:Yikes you’re kidding right? Well that’s out of my league that’s a question for one of the other guys here, I believe it’s a special type of glue and enormous pressure to bond the two parts together.