PDA

View Full Version : HIFI Listening

elwood127
10-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey all, I'm sure that you all know that there are major differences in the sound quality of various recordings. You know, you all have that one song that you break out to show friends just how awesome your system is. Personally I prefer things like Madonna's "Hanky Panky" from the Dick Tracy album or Tull's "Minsrel in the gallery" or Ozzie's " No more tears just to name a few. You all need to enlighten us with your picks for the best hifi listening. Big band, rap, rock, jazz, whatever. This should be very interesting. Please name song and album. Brian.

johnaec
10-05-2008, 08:33 AM
This "stickey" thread is generally considered the standard one where people list what many of their favorites recordings are and why: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2724

You'll have to filter through quite a bit, but some real gems are listed. There are other similar threads - it'd probably be good to keep adding to them rather than more new extraneous threads like this one for people to wander through - 'much easier when things are kept together...

John

Doc Mark
10-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi, Elwood,

I don't have, specifically, any one song, or album, which I drag out to show off our system. But, rather, I use a range of what I consider good music, to do so. I often use small jazz ensembles (intricate piano, guitar, bass, and drum work), solo guitarists, tight vocal harmonies, classical music, and horn-band funk, to "impress" anyone who happens to want to hear our music system. One thing I do NOT do, is crank it up, at least at first!! Lots of folks floor the pedal when showing off their systems, and to me, this is just a waste of time. I want folks to hear the subtle nuances in whatever music I play for them, and to also know that good speakers do not have to be played loudly in order to impress and satisfy the listeners. Then, when they are suitably impressed, or should I say IF they are suitably impressed, I may crank it just a bit, to show that our system can also put out some massive sound pressure when it's called upon to do so, and with effortless ease, and no distortion at all!!

But, hey, that's just me. Others like to floor their systems, right off the line, which if just fine....... for THEM!! ;);):D:D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

elwood127
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
If all else fails, read instructions. I didn't even notice that section. Thanks for the headsup. Brian.

Rusnzha
10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi, Elwood,

I don't have, specifically, any one song, or album, which I drag out to show off our system. But, rather, I use a range of what I consider good music, to do so. I often use small jazz ensembles (intricate piano, guitar, bass, and drum work), solo guitarists, tight vocal harmonies, classical music, and horn-band funk, to "impress" anyone who happens to want to hear our music system. One thing I do NOT do, is crank it up, at least at first!! Lots of folks floor the pedal when showing off their systems, and to me, this is just a waste of time. I want folks to hear the subtle nuances in whatever music I play for them, and to also know that good speakers do not have to be played loudly in order to impress and satisfy the listeners. Then, when they are suitably impressed, or should I say IF they are suitably impressed, I may crank it just a bit, to show that our system can also put out some massive sound pressure when it's called upon to do so, and with effortless ease, and no distortion at all!!

But, hey, that's just me. Others like to floor their systems, right off the line, which if just fine....... for THEM!! ;);):D:D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

It took me a while to learn this, but this is the best way to show them to people.