PDA

View Full Version : Painting Frames

A9X
10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
As the designs slowly move towards actual physical items, it occurred to me that some of the JBL drivers I have, eg 2123, have exposed aluminium on the frames when mounted. This will look odd with the other drivers I have, so I would like to paint them.

My plan was to mask the cones/surrounds well, give them a light sand and hit them with some black semi gloss from a rattle can. Are there any issues with doing it, ie the finish JBL uses and compatibility with some sorts of paint?

Mr. Widget
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
It seems a shame to do it, but I don't expect you'll have any problems.

Widget

rdgrimes
10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Aluminum needs to be primed with a primer designed for aluminum, or the paint won't stick. Not a huge issue if they aren't getting handled or touched often.

A9X
10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Cheers. I usually wouldn't bother but they will stand out and look odd otherwise.

Joe Alesi
10-07-2008, 03:36 PM
As the designs slowly move towards actual physical items, it occurred to me that some of the JBL drivers I have, eg 2123, have exposed aluminium on the frames when mounted. This will look odd with the other drivers I have, so I would like to paint them.

My plan was to mask the cones/surrounds well, give them a light sand and hit them with some black semi gloss from a rattle can. Are there any issues with doing it, ie the finish JBL uses and compatibility with some sorts of paint?

I dont think you'd have any problems with paint from the can, provided it's not too thin and doesn't migrate under the masking tape and gets to the adhesive on the surround.

On the subject of the paint, as suggested by rdgrimes a metal etch primer would be good. Failing that and in a pinch a very very light coat of paint and allow the solvent to flash off and then wait a few minutes before applying the proper first coat.

If you really don't want to paint you could always get some black plastic bezels laser cut:o: (or by hand:() from 1mm black plastic (say ABS or perspex)

Good luck with the project= don't forget the pics.

Best
JA

A9X
10-08-2008, 02:12 AM
If you really don't want to paint you could always get some black plastic bezels laser cut:o: (or by hand:() from 1mm black plastic (say ABS or perspex)

Good luck with the project= don't forget the pics.

Best
JAThat's a great idea, and one that had completely slipped my mind - reversible too.. This is one of the reasons I post on forums as I get great ideas from others.

Almost all the parts are on hand, and I got a quote for getting the panels cut and am waiting on veneer prices before deciding finish, but it's about 3 weeks before the wood will be cut. I've promised to do a build and measurement blog on them.