PDA

View Full Version : Santa was -really- early this year! H9800

pos
10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I bought these H9800 clones from Rich six months ago, and finally managed to go to London to get them.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20322

Rich did a wonderful job in finishing them. The seams are now invisible and the inside walls are really smooth. Better than originals!! :bouncy:

It was also an opportunity to visit Rich and have a listen to his 4345.

The 4345 are very impressive.
It takes some time to get used to their sound, as for any speakers and room, but once you are they really take you in a musical journey.
When back home I listened to some of these songs on my 4425 (Cinematic Orchestra "ma fleur") and, well... :( :barf:

Rich, I am looking forward to receiving you when you want to visit Paris!
I hope to have built something interesting to listen to by then.

Andyoz
10-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Well done.

Nice to see the red wine out at Rich's.:D Those 4345's look so small in that photo but I've stood next to them and they are massive..

richluvsound
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Pos,

it was a real pleasure to meet both you and your good lady.

I really hope your design proves rewarding !

Rich

Guido
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
These H9800 look REALLY nice.
Richard: seems you invested a fair amount of time to finish them.
They look very nice.

Pos: Did you try the 2435 yet?

pos
10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Pos: Did you try the 2435 yet?
I am right now!

Above the 4425, electronic filter (computer, within foobar) with an additional 37uF protection cap (Solen 75+75, waiting for cc)

LP @800Hz, 24bd/oct
HP @800Hz, 12bd/oct (should be 24db/oct acoustic with horn rolloff), with a reversed phase

I can say much about the sound yet, as there is no compensation (The eq in foobar are not up to the task, so I prefer to let them run untouched for now), but the potential is clearly there! The 4425 sound lifeless in comparison.

With these 2435 you cleaned/refilled/aquaplassed and these H9800 wood clones I know I am on the right track.
Many thanks to both of you! :applaud:

Here is the passive network I am planing to use:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=168664&postcount=84
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=168641&postcount=79

I found the french producer of the Solen fast caps (SCR), so I just need to find some good inductors (18 and 20awg according to Zilch's DCR requirements)

I don't know if I need to add a protection cap to it tho.
Zilch, if you read this, do you have some response curves of your filters without eletronic HP, and maybe some impedance curves?

JBL 4645
10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I reorganize those JBL anywhere that’s Rich’s home. :D Blimey Rich hasn’t the cleaning lady been around this week :p so that some new art project you’re working right hand corner?

caladois
10-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I am right now!

Above the 4425, electronic filter (computer, within foobar) with an additional 37uF protection cap (Solen 75+75, waiting for cc)

LP @800Hz, 24bd/oct
HP @800Hz, 12bd/oct (should be 24db/oct acoustic with horn rolloff), with a reversed phase

I can say much about the sound yet, as there is no compensation (The eq in foobar are not up to the task, so I prefer to let them run untouched for now), but the potential is clearly there! The 4425 sound lifeless in comparison.

With these 2435 you cleaned/refilled/aquaplassed and these H9800 wood clones I know I am on the right track.
Many thanks to both of you! :applaud:

Here is the passive network I am planing to use:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=168664&postcount=84
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=168641&postcount=79

I found the french producer of the Solen fast caps (SCR), so I just need to find some good inductors (18 and 20awg according to Zilch's DCR requirements)

I don't know if I need to add a protection cap to it tho.
Zilch, if you read this, do you have some response curves of your filters without eletronic HP, and maybe some impedance curves?

Good to hear your project is on the way. Let me know as soon as you get the crossover. I am on too as you know.
What was the red wine ? merlot, cabernet ?

Can you post some pictures of the wood h9800 ?

Regards from France, Stéphane

pos
10-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi caladois!

Yes the project is going on, slowly but steady.
Now I am using some better software crossover with some simple compensation (+6db/oct starting at 2.5khz, and some additional boost on top, with something like +25db at 20khz)

The tonal balance is still different compared to the 4425, but it gets closer.
What I can definitly attest is that these compression drivers and horns are a lot more precise thant the 4425 ones. The stereo imaging is also a lot wider.

I am not sure I will ever built the passive network now. I think I will try to improve the current software conpensation right now, using some mesurement tools.

more pictures to come!

merlin
10-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Richard: seems you invested a fair amount of time to finish them.

;) :jawdrop: