PDA

View Full Version : help with a title wanted

Hofmannhp
09-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi All,

who knows the band and title with the beginning as a sound of a big V8 engine, which changes slowly to a similar drum sound ?

regards

HP

Triumph Don
09-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Drag City by Jan and Dean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0P0JazOco0

toddalin
09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi All,

who knows the band and title with the beginning as a sound of a big V8 engine, which changes slowly to a similar drum sound ?

regards

HP

Steve Miller's "Living In the USA" and Billy Squire's "Everybody Want's You" both do this.

Oldmics
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Van Halen-Hot for Teacher ?????

Oldmics

SEAWOLF97
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
The '66 Top Forty hit "Blue's Theme" (from The Wild Angels) is, .... Davie Allan and The Arrows.

http://myweb.cableone.net/grumbler/davieallan/reviews.html

its a Harley but may sound like a V-8 to a Yurpean.

WDJ
09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
OK, along the same lines...

I've been trying to remember the name of a song from the early '90s for several years now. Pure guitar, lots of solo work, the song just made you smile when you heard it.

It received a fair amount of radio play (at least in Abilene, Texas) in the early 90's. I left Abilene in November '92 so it was out well before then. I've tried all the Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughn and others I can think of.

Good part is I've found a number of songs thet were great, but the bad part is not the "one"!!

Any ideas would be welcome!!

enjoy,
WJ

Hofmannhp
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Van Halen-Hot for Teacher ?????

Oldmics

thanks all for your fast response........
John was right. ..I meant Van Halen.

I made a download and finished an extended version with a longer V8 intro.
Sounds like a 427.....

HP

Fred Sanford
09-23-2008, 03:19 PM
OK, along the same lines...

I've been trying to remember the name of a song from the early '90s for several years now. Pure guitar, lots of solo work, the song just made you smile when you heard it.

It received a fair amount of radio play (at least in Abilene, Texas) in the early 90's. I left Abilene in November '92 so it was out well before then. I've tried all the Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughn and others I can think of.

Good part is I've found a number of songs thet were great, but the bad part is not the "one"!!

Any ideas would be welcome!!

enjoy,
WJ

Chances are it was Eric Johnson, check out Ah Via Musicom. You might be thinking of the song "Cliffs of Dover". Good album, whether it's the one you're looking for or not...

je

Fred Sanford
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks all for your fast response........
John was right. ..I meant Van Halen.

I made a download and finished an extended version with a longer V8 intro.
Sounds like a 427.....

HP

I thought that was a Harley, too...:hmm: Or, am I thinking of Motley Crue and 'Girls, Girls, Girls'?

je

Oldmics
09-23-2008, 07:02 PM
The Harley is the Crue on Girls.

I think thats all drums (specifically kick drum) on the Van Halen intro although it does bring an engine to mind.

Oldmics

Now I gotta dig it out and listen for sure. :applaud:

Fred Sanford
09-24-2008, 03:56 AM
The Harley is the Crue on Girls.

I think thats all drums (specifically kick drum) on the Van Halen intro although it does bring an engine to mind.

Oldmics

Now I gotta dig it out and listen for sure. :applaud:

The drum intro part of Hot For Teacher supposedly starts with all Simmons drums, with the kicks tuned closely with the toms. Then the roto-toms, then the snare...

The engine you hear in "Panama" is Eddie's Lamborghini.

je

P.S. Big Head Todd's 'Stratagem' album starts with a Harley, too...

Hofmannhp
09-24-2008, 04:42 AM
The drum intro part of Hot For Teacher supposedly starts with all Simmons drums, with the kicks tuned closely with the toms. Then the roto-toms, then the snare...

ok....now it's clear....I don't need to buy a big block V8......I try to acquire some Simmons drums.:band:

HP

JBLRaiser
09-24-2008, 05:26 AM
"Hot for Student".....seems to be everywhere in the states.

WDJ
11-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Fred,

Right on the nose!!:applaud:

I ordered Ah Via Musicom and put it on this morning. Went straight to "Cliffs of Dover" and there it was.

Simply Beautiful!

Thanks,
Wayne

Fred Sanford
11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Fred,

Right on the nose!!:applaud:

I ordered Ah Via Musicom and put it on this morning. Went straight to "Cliffs of Dover" and there it was.

Simply Beautiful!

Thanks,
Wayne

Excellent, glad I could help. It's a pretty solid album- he does some vocal numbers, but they fit in nicely & don't detract. I have a number of discs where great guitarists insist on singing & just bring the album down for me.

I've been looking to explore the rest of his catalog, let us know if you hear any of his other work. He's on a G3 live DVD I've got, that's it.

je

jeenie67
01-11-2009, 06:36 AM
As to the original question, I agree with Fred, it's definitely Van Halen. Being a musician the sound heard is produced by a drum kit. It may have an additional track of actual engine sound mixed in to accentuate the effect for the first four or six bars. Also of note is mid 1960's recordings distributed by Sundazed Records of Jerry Cole, surf/beach bum/drag racing studio musician/ live performer, with some tunes that begin with big block, who knows what they are, vehicles burning rubber and slammin' the gears; they sound cool! The rock n' roll (he plays a Fender Jazzmaster through a Fender Twin amp) he plays is up to par with any of the current blues progression, string breaking rock, and gets you in the mood to drink some motor oil.

Jerry Cole and the Stingers: Guitars A Go Go. Beat Rocket Records: Space Rated Sounds. BR 117 stereo. 1963-1966.
wwwwwwww.sundazed.com