PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio STA 1.2TR...Major Disappointment :(

JBLCanuck
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow,
I got home from a trip to Seattle on Saturday. I had the opportunity to buy a set of Polk Audio 1.2TR's. All my adult life I've heard people rave about these speakers. Most I've talked to have suggested that they blow away virtually any JBL. It seems every time I've seen these available, they're just too far away to consider. With the size & weight of them, shipping just isn't really an option. So this set in Seattle comes available for $1700 & I decide to buy them since I'm close & since I've free'd up a little more play money than I'd banked on.
I get home from Seattle with the Polks & a pair of early 70's RTR 280dr's that I picked up for $200.
Major lunchbag letdown on the Polks. My JBL240Ti's blow them away in virtually every department. They just sound muddy & not clean at all. Maybe I'm used to the JBL's...maybe my Adcom 565's don't suite the Polks but I'm very, very disappointed. Yes, I have the interconnect hooked up & yes, I've got my Adcom chassis grounded together...no, they don't sound good & all the speakers seem to be operating as they're supposed to.
On a better note...the RTR's blow both the Polk's & the 240Ti's away!:applaud: They truly are amazing for $200! 4-10" drivers & 6 Peerless tweeters...they're just a very pleasant surprise to an otherwise very disappointing trip.
Anyone want a mint pair of Polk SDA 1.2TR's :(
As for these RTR's...Looks are deceiving :D
http://members.shaw.ca/missionkraft/rtr.jpg

SEAWOLF97
09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
You should try some 4343's or at least some 250ti's :)

robertbartsch
09-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Seven or eight years ago, I purchased 4 large "Klip Horn" floor standing speakers that were $600 a piece. They have 2 - 6 inch cone drivers and a small compression driver HF.

They totally SUK.

Same deal with a modern JBL center channel - garbage.

Unfortunately, modern speakers generally perform poorly.

Today's JBL Professional series drivers are one exception. I bought some components recently and made some speaker sets and I have had great results.

Mr. Widget
09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Wow,
I got home from a trip to Seattle on Saturday. I had the opportunity to buy a set of Polk Audio 1.2TR's. All my adult life I've heard people rave about these speakers.I have never heard of them. Actually I have never heard anyone rave about any Polk speaker. Praise them for sure, as in good value, and a lot of bang for the buck.

On a side note, since I wasn't aware of them, I thought I'd Google them... Google is getting fast. All that came up was your post from yesterday!

Widget

Mr. Widget
09-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately, modern speakers generally perform poorly.Maybe you mean modern cheap speakers? I recently heard a pair of Project Array 1400s and was thoroughly blown away by them. I'd place them ahead of any of the traditional large JBL monitors, L300s etc. Sure they are $5500 each, but with inflation that is like $1300 back in the '70s... about the same as the better monitors.

Widget

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I have never heard of them. Actually I have never heard anyone rave about any Polk speaker. Praise them for sure, as in good value, and a lot of bang for the buck.

On a side note, since I wasn't aware of them, I thought I'd Google them... Google is getting fast. All that came up was your post from yesterday!

Widget

Sorry Widget, I posted that they were 1.2TR's....they are Polk SDA 1.2TL's.
Do a search...there will be hundreds of opinions...I couldn't find one negative one other than mine.
I guess you could call them modern but no more modern than 250TI's. I think they're from 1989. In 2 separate articles I've read, they rated them in the top 10 speakers of all time. I take everything I read with a grain of salt but I read as many good things about them as 4343's or 250Ti's...so I'm guessing I've done something wrong.
I think I've found out what that is & will keep you posted.
I'm not expecting miracles but for my $200 1970's RTR's to blow them away...kind of depressing, no? :)

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Smart Ass! :D
Bring those 250Ti's up & I'll show you a set of $200 RTR 280dr's that'll give them a real run for their money!
So far, with 4 different sets of ears, the RTR's are batting 4-0 over the 240Ti's. They're wolves in sheeps clothing:applaud:
If you ever get a chance to hear them...take a listen.
Similar principal to your Ohm's only 1-10" driver driving down & 1-10" driver on each of 3 faces. The base from these things is phenominal. A little missing in the middle but if you run these & a set of smaller speakers with a little better mid...I'd predict an incredible sound.

SEAWOLF97
09-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Smart Ass! :D
Bring those 250Ti's up & I'll show you a set of $200 RTR 280dr's that'll give them a real run for their money!

they ain't goin anywhere.

Similar principal to your Ohm's only 1-10" driver driving down & 1-10" driver on each of 3 faces.

well, not really..the Walsh driver radiates off the backside of the cone in a 360 pattern. 1 driver, no crossover.
I found Julian Hersh's review to illustrate the principle well. see it at:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=166153&postcount=133

Do a search...there will be hundreds of opinions...I couldn't find one negative one other than mine.
:)

I didn't read about any demo b4 purchasing $1700 speakers. Did you buy them "unheard" ??

the 91 blue book shows a SDA-SRS 1.2 with 15in passive (3k/pr.) and SDA-SRS 1.2tt at 1.7k ea.
but no SDA 1.2TL (looking at their list- stupid model naming conventions)

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I didn't read about any demo b4 purchasing $1700 speakers. Did you buy them "unheard" ??

Tom,
I listened to them in a tiny livingroom with wood floors & bare walls. The guy had taken his whole livingroom apart to move but left the speakers hooked up so I could hear them. They were hooked to Carver amps & Pioneer preamp & cd so I basically resigned myself to the gamble.
I've read enough that I honestly didn't need to hear them...or so I thought:D
Anyway, like I say...I think I've found the problem. Apparently when you run these Polks with Monoblocks, you have to tie the negative speaker wires together. I thought you just had to ground the two amp chassis??
Oh well...we'll try it again & I'll let you know if they are what they're made out to be. One thing I can tell you is they are so huge it's borderline rediculous!
Wifey not happy with me:D:D

Mr. Widget
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Do a search...Here they are... no wonder I am not familiar with them... I am not a fan of the pile of drivers approach to loudspeaker design.

Widget

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I hear you, I've never been a fan of them either but if the sound is there...that's all I care about. In this case...it's not..so far! :(

briang
09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
These are the "Stereo Dimenstional Array" Polks, right? The one's where the complex crossover sends a crosstalk cancellation signal to the "dimensional array" (that's why all the drivers) to enhance the Soundstage, correct?

I remember the Hype back in the 1980's, the Polks seemed so "cutting edge" back then...I've never heard a set though...

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes, That's correct. That's why it's so important to have your amps on a common ground I'm told.
People rave about the soundstage from these speakers.
Don't get me wrong...I love JBL! I'm a JBL man through & through but I'm also open minded, & these get as good or better reviews than even the best JBL's.
I figured it was worth hearing for myself anyway.

Mr. Widget
09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
These are the "Stereo Dimenstional Array" Polks, right? Sounds like Bose to me.:duck:

I am a purist. I like to sit and listen to stereo in the sweet spot and enjoy the stereo effect as created by the musicians and engineers... that said, it can be fun to flirt with crazy phasy systems from time to time. Now, where is that Aphex aural exciter. :D

Widget

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Sounds like Bose to me.:duck:Widget

Please Sir :biting:

SEAWOLF97
09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Did they nick you at the border for those things ??

Just tell them that the speakers are worthless....:)

Any better after the neg to neg mod ?

JBLCanuck
09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Tom....That sounds better:D:D
I can't turn them up though...wifey sleeping:scold::scold:
Yes, I had to pay $250 tax! 12%
I could have said I paid less but it's just not worth playing games at the border. My life revolves around coming into the US & I can't imagine what I'd do if I ever lost that privilege...know what I mean?

SEAWOLF97
09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Do a search...there will be hundreds of opinions...I couldn't find one negative one other than mine. , they rated them in the top 10 speakers of all time.

so now that the neg problem is solved, are they among the top 10 of all time ? You kinda left us hanging in mid-story.

Yes, I had to pay $250 tax! 12%
I could have said I paid less but it's just not worth playing games at the border. My life revolves around coming into the US & I can't imagine what I'd do if I ever lost that privilege...know what I mean?

couldnt slide them under the seat, eh ? 12% on 1700 is 204. , 250 is nearly 15% ?

JBLCanuck
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Tom,
I'm still experimenting with them...but they sound 1000% better.
Are they as good as the 250TI's? Tough call without hearing them side by side. Speakers are subjective & it just depends what sounds good to the listener. There's definitely a funny rift between camp Polk & camp JBL:) The Polk guys generally feel the JBL's are trash & vise verse.
I have a good friend that's been collecting vintage stereo gear for 30+ years...he won't listen to a JBL horn without jamming a rag down its throught to get rid of "the annoying ringing" :D
I think I tend to like the JBL's better myself but I'll give you a full update once I finish playing with them.
I can tell you they sound much better than the 240Ti's to my ears.
I still say the 250TI is the best JBL I've heard, with the 4343's coming in a close second.

SEAWOLF97
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I can tell you they sound much better than the 240Ti's to my ears.
I still say the 250TI is the best JBL I've heard, with the 4343's coming in a close second.

that seems a curious ranking...I've never heard 240ti's (nor 4343's) , but many have called the 240ti "as good as the 250ti's, just lesser cabinet" ...but thats not what I'm reading here from someone who has had all 3 ?? Marty , you may be in a unique position to rate these 3 desirable models + L166's ?

JBLCanuck
09-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Tom,
The 250Ti is definitely better sounding than the 240Ti. Not by a huge amount but they sound noticeably better. $1500 worth better?...well, this is the problem with audio. $2000 will buy you a nice vintage setup. Will one for $4000 sound twice as good? Will one for $8000 sound 4 times as good? You pay a large amount of money for a small improvement once you're over a certain caliber of equipment & I can assure you...my wife couldn't tell any difference between the 4343's or my new $200 RTR's! :D
The 250TI is the best sounding JBL my ear has ever heard but the 4343 is an incredible speaker that gets lots of extra points for being much older.
The 4350 gets my vote for cool factor but I know for almost a fact that I'd prefer the sound of a 250TI.
The Polk 1.2TL....haven't had them long enough yet.
Way more base than any JBL I've heard. The funny thing about them is they are supposed to have a soundstage second to none...I haven't found that so far...but I'm still playing. I'm not even sure I didn't damage a couple of drivers with my common negative ground boo boo.
I'll get back to you on it.
The 4343's are a little too bright for me, but that's just from my 45 year old ears opinion.:)
To some, Bose 901's are the answer:barf:

Mr. Widget
09-25-2008, 11:21 PM
There's definitely a funny rift between camp Polk & camp JBL:) The Polk guys generally feel the JBL's are trash & vise verse. I have been into audio for decades and admit to having a particular fascination with JBL, but I am certainly not as dedicated to the brand as some members here... but the idea that there are "Polk guys" is news to me. I always assumed that Polks were what you bought when you couldn't afford something else. I have certainly recommended Polks to people along the way in years past, and I have heard Matthew Polk speak at Hi Fi events and I have a fair amount of respect for him and his work, but the Polk systems I have heard never grabbed me.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
09-26-2008, 08:54 AM
... but the idea that there are "Polk guys" is news to me. I always assumed that Polks were what you bought when you couldn't afford something else.
Widget

well, there was the famous "Polk Salad Annie" ....( Gators got your granny )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polk_Salad_Annie

JBLCanuck
09-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I have been into audio for decades and admit to having a particular fascination with JBL, but I am certainly not as dedicated to the brand as some members here... but the idea that there are "Polk guys" is news to me. I always assumed that Polks were what you bought when you couldn't afford something else. I have certainly recommended Polks to people along the way in years past, and I have heard Matthew Polk speak at Hi Fi events and I have a fair amount of respect for him and his work, but the Polk systems I have heard never grabbed me.

Widget

Well Widget, Here's an experiment for you then...head over to the forums at Polk Audio... http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/
Put a post on that you've narrowed your search for a set of speakers down to either a pair of speakers from the Polk SDA line, or possibly a set of vintage JBL's like maybe the 4343's.
Stand back & watch....it'll be a learning experience for you if you didn't know they existed:D
I'm the same way...the only reason I'm a liftime JBL fan is because I've had them all my life. I certainly have no illusion that the vintage JBL's we collect are the best speakers in the world. I'm happy listening to as many brands as I can get my hands on & so far, JBL's are my favorite. Will the Polk 1.2's change that? I doubt it but I can tell you that they are incredible speakers but because they adopt a different approach, they would never be accepted by the old fashioned audiofile.
If you get a chance to listen to a set, you should do so...I bet you'd be surprised!:)

JBL 4645
09-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Sounds like Bose to me.:duck:

I am a purist. I like to sit and listen to stereo in the sweet spot and enjoy the stereo effect as created by the musicians and engineers... that said, it can be fun to flirt with crazy phasy systems from time to time. Now, where is that Aphex aural exciter. :D

Widget

I second that. It’s the son of Bose! Bose the revenge! For a few more Bose! The Good the bad and the Bose! King Bose! Die Hard with a Bose! Logan's Bose :rotfl: I wouldn’t touch these speakers with 100 foot barge pole.:barf:

well, there was the famous "Polk Salad Annie" ....( Gators got your granny )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polk_Salad_Annie

http://www.flamingstar.no/fapr/images/050425_123800-2/file/FTD.Polk%20salad.jpg

Hey it’s Elvis! Yo King! :D

JBLCanuck
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
:blah::blah::blah:
Well, all I can say to that is thank god I'm not closed minded like that or I'd still be listening to my first pair of Realistic's my mom & dad bought me:applaud:
You see, I don't dislike Bose because they're a huge company with millions & millions to spend on marketing & I certainly don't dislike them for trying a new & innovative approach...I dislike them because their speakers sound like crap:D
The SDA 1.2Ti's, on the other hand, sound incredible. Not just by my account...by thousands of other pairs of ears on the planet. They've been reviewed by the best in the world & cost $3500 in the 80's...try to find a negative review on them anywhere on the net. Bose, on the other hand,...try to find a positive review! :)
I'm not saying they're better than 250TI's or 4345's...I'm saying they'll sink a pair of 240TI's & make L100's-L100T3's sound like junk.
That being said...I certainly have room in my livingroom to give them the respect they've earned.
By making a comment like this, you don't insult me...I didn't build or design them...you just make yourself seem uneducated & closed minded...that's all.

SEAWOLF97
09-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I havnt head many bose or Polks or Infinities. (sorry marty for the Polk salad Annie post ) ...but marty is a serious listener and if he says the Polks sound great, well .....I know its hard to believe, but there are competing brands that sound as good or better than many JBL's.

The Polks & Infinities that I've parted out have not had impressive drivers, as the JBL's do,,,but sometimes overbuilding drivers is not essential for good sound.

Its like discussing best cars or best amps or best speakers...there really is no answer. just personal preferances.

Mr. Widget
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Well Widget, Here's an experiment for you then...head over to the forums at Polk Audio... I did. I looked at their stats, they have far more posts and threads than we do... considerably more even than the Klipsch forum which is also much larger than ours... I took a cursory look over some of their posts and then I did a few searches on technical phrases, measurements, etc... quite a different crowd over there. ;)

Its like discussing best cars or best amps or best speakers...there really is no answer. just personal preferances.Mostly true, but I think we can all agree that a new Mercedes S Class is superior to an old Buick.

Bottom line, an individual may prefer an old Buick to a state of the art modern car, but I wouldn't say that a few hundred posts on the web proclaiming the magnificence of old Buicks makes them any better than they actually are.

Widget

Allanvh5150
09-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Good call Widget. Most people are happy with what they have and some of these people will proclaim that what they have is the best. Talking about the Bose issue, not that I am a real fan though, I have used thier top end gear and with the bose equalizing system they tend to sound far better than you would think.
I work with a guy that is right into his home theartre and we got to talking about our gear. I asked him what he had and he said very proudly "polk audio". He then asked me the same question and proceeded to roll around on the floor when I said that I had JBL. His statement was that "JBL are crap". But let me tell you this, he changed his mind real quick when I invited him a round for a listen. :)

JBL 4645
09-27-2008, 01:35 PM
:blah::blah::blah:
Well, all I can say to that is thank god I'm not closed minded like that or I'd still be listening to my first pair of Realistic's my mom & dad bought me

I had a friend that had Realistic Mach 2 and they sounded pretty darn good, I’m sure they could have been improved with a few modifications, but the price was very affordable.

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/data/519/191MACHII.jpg (http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/data/519/191MACHII.jpg)

SEAWOLF97
09-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Marty - if the 240ti's are now surplus, maybe make a good deal for BMWCCA , he's a bottomfeeder, but there are rumors that he may be OK under it all. ;)

JBLCanuck
09-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Tom,
I can't sell the 240's...those are the only JBL's in the livingroom right now :)

As far as the rest of the comments...once these guys have even heard a pair of 1.2TL's...we can discuss this further but when you're talking to guys that are talking about something they've once heard someone talking about, or once read a negative review on a Bose speaker, which also has multiple drivers, but never even heard these with their own ears....there's really no interest in their opinion of the product.
Comparing a Polk 1.2TL to a Bose 901 is the same as me comparing a JBL 250Ti to a Sansui 2500...because they are both 4 way systems.
I prefer an educated opinion.
I don't drive a Cadillac or a Buick...so it would be foolish for me to comment on the performance of either of them. :D
The thing that kills me about this thread is that I'm not telling anyone here that I prefer Polk Audio to JBL....quite the opposite. My post started by voicing my displeasure with the sound from these speakers, which get rave reviews in every audio magazine of their era. Then after realizing I had them hooked to my monoblocks incorrectly...I said they sound 1000% better, & in fact, seem to outperform my 240Ti's.
You see if someone tells me they don't like the effect from the interconnected Polk SDA's & that they prefer the clean sound of a vintage JBL...I respect that opinion & may even draw the same conclusion once I finish experimenting with these.
When I hear someone who's never even auditioned a set arbitrarily saying they think Polk's are junk...well...I put the same weight in their opinion as I do the guys on the Polk forum who have similar unjustified comments about JBL's.
Go listen to a set. If you love audio as much as I, even if you don't like them, it'll be time well spent.
I guarantee you'll have a better appreciation for them than you do now.
That's enough of this nonsense but anyone in Vancouver...feel free to come over & educate yourself ;)

John
09-28-2008, 03:59 AM
If you love audio as much as I, even if you don't like them, it'll be time well spent.

Well, the problem is there are a bunch of people around here that are more concerned about collecting these speakers or oiling them up on a weekly basis or talking about how they bought them for nothing and now there worth a fortune ect. ect.:blah:

What happened to the music.:banghead:

Hey Marty, next time I am in the lower mainland with a bit of time I will stop in and have a listen:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't drive a Cadillac or a Buick...so it would be foolish for me to comment on the performance of either of them. :D
The thing that kills me about this thread is that I'm not telling anyone here that I prefer Polk Audio to JBL...quite the opposite.I assume this is directed in my general direction. I think you misunderstood the meaning of my post. I think it is perfectly possible to find speakers from other brands that are superior to JBLs... I can think of dozens. Beyond that, if you personally prefer a specific Polk or Tannoy or even Klipsch, I have no problem with that.

My point about the cars was that there are products that are objectively superior to others even if an individual may prefer the inferior one for whatever reason. The only gripe I had with your post was to use internet posts or reviews as a measurement of quality... There are a lot of ill informed opinions out there...

As for your particular Polk speakers, I have never heard them and so I can't know for sure if I would actually like them or not, however since I lean toward the less parts the better school of thought and have not liked any of the techniques I have heard to "improve" imaging that many different people have come up with over the years, I am skeptical that I would be a candidate for this particular system. I am not passing judgement on them in general, just for myself in particular.

Widget

BMWCCA
09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Looks like we may have to include a pair of Polks in the upcoming L300 v. L7 shootout (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22268). Shouldn't be a big deal; isn't Polk still based in Baltimore? Should we have someone contact Matthew Polk and have him come along as an impartial judge and bring some of his stuff along for the comparison?

"Right from the very beginning of the company, our mission was to put high-end sound into the homes of regular people. Although we enjoyed the high-end audio gear as much as any dedicated audiophile, we really saw our mission in providing excellent sounding speakers at reasonable prices to regular people."

--Matthew Polk as interviewed on SoundStage.com
Not that he'd be any more impartial than I would be having owned nothing but JBL for over fifty years, but his philosophy seems to fit with that for the L7 and the entire '90s L-series line.

JBLCanuck
09-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Looks like we may have to include a pair of Polks in the upcoming L300 v. L7 shootout (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22268).

I'd say they are comparable.
Like I said earlier...I like the West Coast sound of the high end JBL's but many people don't. Where I think the 1.2TL's lack...many feel they sound better.
It all comes down to personal preference but I'd say that would be a fair comparison.
If the 1.2TL can even sit in the same room as an L300...that's a far cry from the Bose 901 comparisons below:D

hjames
09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Polk Audio • 5601 Metro Dr. • Baltimore, MD 21215
(800) 377-7655 • www.polkaudio.com (http://www.polkaudio.com/)

http://www.polkaudio.com/inside/aboutpolk.php

Looks like we may have to include a pair of Polks in the upcoming L300 v. L7 shootout (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22268). Shouldn't be a big deal; isn't Polk still based in Baltimore? Should we have someone contact Matthew Polk and have him come along as an impartial judge and bring some of his stuff along for the comparison?
Not that he'd be any more impartial than I would be having owned nothing but JBL for over fifty years, but his philosophy seems to fit with that for the L7 and the entire '90s L-series line.

JBLCanuck
09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Marty, next time I am in the lower mainland with a bit of time I will stop in and have a listen:bouncy:

Sounds great John...bring the B460.
It's big & heavy to transport but look on the bright side...you won't have to transport it home :D

BMWCCA
09-29-2008, 03:55 PM
What happened to the music.:banghead:It's all about the music. That's why I asked about comparing the L300 to the L7. We'll get an answer, and we'll do it by comparing them side-by-side.

"It's all about the music!"

JBLCanuck
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I second that. It’s the son of Bose! Bose the revenge! For a few more Bose! The Good the bad and the Bose! King Bose! Die Hard with a Bose! Logan's Bose :rotfl: I wouldn’t touch these speakers with 100 foot barge pole.

Hey Look....These must sound just like Bose as well!
Multiple driver/tweeter=Bose...I guess is what you're saying? :dont-know
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bozak-Concert-Grand-Speakers-B-310-A_W0QQitemZ320307981899QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320 307981899&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bozak-Concert-Grand-Speakers-B-310-A_W0QQitemZ320307981899QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320 307981899&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

bbrown
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
A serious question...
Did a lot of companies try multiple drives to get the power handling higher and to get more output?

I personally like horns, and they are certainly different than DRs.

Bruce

JBLRaiser
10-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey Look....These must sound just like Bose as well!
Multiple driver/tweeter=Bose...I guess is what you're saying? :dont-know
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bozak-Concert-Grand-Speakers-B-310-A_W0QQitemZ320307981899QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320 307981899&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A16|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bozak-Concert-Grand-Speakers-B-310-A_W0QQitemZ320307981899QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320 307981899&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

not enough pics!:p

BMWCCA
10-11-2008, 10:09 AM
http://ebayitem.com/130255902835

http://view2health.com/prmc1000a11.JPG

http://www.roger-russell.com/omnispk.jpg

http://www.ids25.com/ids%20right.jpg

hjames
10-11-2008, 11:58 AM

myostuff ...

Oh, thats that seller that posts and reposts speakers for overly high prices -
he had those kinda funky L-200s without foams for a high price and kept reposting them near forever!

But those XR-290 speakers are def cool ...
http://www.roger-russell.com/columns/columns.htm#mcintosh

boputnam
10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Here they are... no wonder I am not familiar with them... I am not a fan of the pile of drivers approach to loudspeaker design.
Whoa... That is freaky. Imagine what the baffle defractions model (and sound...) like. Yikes.

But those XR-290 speakers are def cool ...Yeah, but there are no wave-guides constraining the dispersion of those transducers. What a mess.

soundmanshorty
10-24-2008, 04:57 AM

http://view2health.com/prmc1000a11.JPG

http://www.roger-russell.com/omnispk.jpg

http://www.ids25.com/ids%20right.jpg

of the 1st Line Arrays

duaneage
10-31-2008, 09:16 PM
i heard those McIntosh speakers at a salon in Hong Kong. Overpriced equipment, heavily draped room, million dollar tube amps, etc. I thought they sucked. Too many drivers and the phase interference was pathetic. Loud yes, accurate never. I could not believe McI made such a speaker.

As to Polk Audio, I own one of their best efforts and a long produced model, The Monitor 10B. I bought them new in 1986 and have them today. I chose the 10B over the 12B because they did NOT have the SDA crap. These are great speakers with a single peerless tweeter and two Audax 6.5 drivers. The passive radiator allows tuning to 28 Hz and although I like JBL systems I have never been unhappy with the 10Bs. They sell for very wide prices on ebay, usually dictated by location and shipping requirements. I have a pair of spare tweeters for mine just in case but I can't imagine ever selling them. Listen to a pair if you ever can, they are a classic.

jcrobso
11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I remember reading about some home built speakers in the late 1950's.
They were called sweet 16, the idea was to take 16 4 or 5" speakers and put them in a box connect them up to give 8 ohm impedance and some how by magic you would have a good sounding speaker.
In high school I met someone who's dad had make a pair of them, I went over hear them! Well they sounded like 16 cheep speakers.
I prefer the sound of two or three really good speakers to the sound the conglomeration of speakers.
I have listened to some of these at the CES shows when they used to be in Chicago. John

hjames
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I remember reading about some home built speakers in the late 1950's.
They were called sweet 16, the idea was to take 16 4 or 5" speakers and put them in a box connect them up to give 8 ohm impedance and some how by magic you would have a good sounding speaker.
In high school I met someone who's dad had make a pair of them, I went over hear them! Well they sounded like 16 cheep speakers.
I prefer the sound of two or three really good speakers to the sound the conglomeration of speakers.
I have listened to some of these at the CES shows when they used to be in Chicago. John

I remember seeing the Sweet Sixteens in Popular Electronics back in the 60s ..
we talked about it in an earlier thread here ...

You can check out one version of the Sweet Sixteen design on Roger Russell's page
http://www.roger-russell.com/columns/columns.htm#sweet

Here's another version - http://www.kidbiz.com/Sweet%20Sixteen/Sweet%20Sixteen%20System.htm
(cheap cabinet tho)

Old tech, but - apparently still in use!

Btbek
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I can guarantee you the Polk 1.2tls definitely don't sound like cheap speakers. Don't knock them until AFTER you've heard them firsthand. With the proper amplification they will blow you away. Clarity, soundstage, and depth are awesome. Do yourself a favor and listen to them yourself.

Mr. Widget
01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
I can guarantee you the Polk 1.2tls definitely don't sound like cheap speakers. Don't knock them until AFTER you've heard them firsthand. With the proper amplification they will blow you away. Clarity, soundstage, and depth are awesome. Do yourself a favor and listen to them yourself.Where are you located? I'd love to pop over and hear 'em. :)

I recently picked up a pair of ADS L910s. Mind blowingly good.

Widget

Btbek
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Where are you located? I'd love to pop over and hear 'em. :)

I recently picked up a pair of ADS L910s. Mind blowingly good.

Widget

North central Oklahoma. Let me know when you're coming. :D

mike
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I've heard the large Polks before and they are good speakers, probably of the same caliber as JBL's upper end offerings throughout the 80's.

The top of the line ADS speakers are very good as well, capable of bettering the 250Ti's and Polks in some respects. On the other hand the JBL's and possibly the Polk's do some things better than the ADS's.

Mike

Mr. Widget
01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
North central Oklahoma. Let me know when you're coming. :DStart chilling the beers... I'll give you a call when I hit the Oklahoma border. :D

The top of the line ADS speakers are very good as well, capable of bettering the 250Ti's and Polks in some respects. On the other hand the JBL's and possibly the Polk's do some things better than the ADS's.Quite possibly true.

Before picking these up I hadn't heard the L910s in almost 30 years... I am simply amazed at how good they are. I won't say that I like them better than my large horn system, but if I had to listen to them and no other speaker for the rest of my life, I could be OK with that. My only criticism of them would be the slightly diffuse imaging and the slightly pronounced and slightly phat bottom... I have heard a similar bottom end out of LE14Hs in some applications. I guess then there is the lack of the tactile detail my big beryllium drivers offer... while all of those criticisms may sound significant, you should hear what I say about speakers I don't love. ;)

Widget

mike
01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
One thing I've found with the larger ADS 3 way designs is that they are somewhat picky about amplification. They seem to work best with a good solid state amp with the ability to deliver some current.

The 910's are fairly rare and still seem to be highly regarded.

Mike

rvito
01-24-2009, 08:59 PM
or some 4435's:D

SEAWOLF97
01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=221885#post221885)

or some 4435's:D

that was kind of an inside joke, rvito,,since he had both 4343's and 250ti's, which I bought the latter from him, after he sold the 4343's...Marty is now working on 4333A's from what I read....but the 4435 suggestion is also a good one , tho I dont have firsthand knowledge.

polk4ever
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Hello to all... I have stumbled upon this thread while searching for 1.2tL's, and was wondering if there is any chance they may be for sale?

please let me know...

John

hjames
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Hello to all... I have stumbled upon this thread while searching for 1.2tL's, and was wondering if there is any chance they may be for sale?

please let me know...

John

No idea - we were talking about speakers we saw someone else trying to sell on ebay months ago ... September 2008 ...