PDA

View Full Version : L200's What are these worth ?

proimage1
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I know this has been beat to death by you die hards - but I'm curious as to the current value of these. They really are in great condition and sound super to my ears ( 54 year old ears ! )
A few years ago ( maybe 5 ) a guy that lived a block over had an estate sale when his wife passed away - he was a true audiophile and had a ton of stuff. Long story short - as soon as I walked in I saw these L200's - the price on them was 2500 - I had assumed they were $250 - I told the lady running the estate sale I wanted them - she put a sold sign on them - then I kept looking - I also found a Dual 721 turntable for $10.
Both the speakers and the turntable were in absolute perfect as in MINT condition by my eyes. I went to pay when I was ready to leave expecting to write a check for around $275 with tax - she told me my total was $37.50 with tax - needless to say I almost fell out - paid and left with my find.
Like I said I've had them for a few years now, but have always wondered the value - I've seen some on e-bay a few times over the years. Some very high, some not. But, like I said these are really nice - the cabinets and speakers are perfect - I did replace the fronts with a cloth fabric - they still had the wire fronts - they probably should be redone with the proper foam, but for now - this looks pretty good.
I use these with an old vintage Pioneer Receiver ( SX 1010 ) that I bought when I was in the service overseas back during the Viet Nam war - honestly I don't listen to this system as often as I should and have thought about selling them - I still have a pair of nice 1972 Pioneer CS 901 speakers that I bought originally with the receiver.
Any ideas on price value would be super !
Thanks in advance - Tom

Mr. Widget
09-21-2008, 11:12 PM
I've seen some on e-bay a few times over the years. Some very high, some not.Nothing has changed... they may go low or high, you never can tell. It depends on who's looking and their location relative to the speakers being offered.

Widget

hakka26
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM
On what market? My short research shows $25-$1100. You can ask for whatever you want—doesn't mean you'll get it.

hjames
09-22-2008, 02:49 AM
They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Really!
Prices vary like mad depending on location and interested buyers.

If you sell locally (Pickup only) your sale is dependent on your local community.
They are a pain to ship, and they are big and heavy. Of course big and heavy is one reason the bass is so good. If you like their sound you are probably better off keeping them, really.

Understand that they are older speakers, they are only 2 way design, and the high frequency side is lacking. I added JBL Pro tweeters to mine and built new crossover networks so they sound great with modern music (CDs and such) .

If you REALLY want to sell them you might want to spend the $200 to get new grill foams and put them in like-new condition. That cloth cover isn't gonna do it for a collector (if you can find one in this economic downturn). Two different vendors sell them here - See Indycraft (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=214749&postcount=1) or sonofagun (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51224&postcount=20)to get a pair.
(http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51224&postcount=20)
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28679&stc=1&d=1191107826

I know this has been beat to death by you die hards - but I'm curious as to the current value of these. They really are in great condition and sound super to my ears ( 54 year old ears ! )

Any ideas on price value would be super !
Thanks in advance - Tom

proimage1
09-22-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys - the more I think about the market where I am and how much I really do like them + how heavy they are and the hassle to ship them if I did sell them - I think I'd be way better off just keeping them and enjoying them. Getting them re-foamed seems like a great idea and I plan on pursuing that idea.
I appreciate the responses.
Take care - Tom

BMWCCA
09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
There's a pair in Georgia on Ebay right now with no bids at $749/BIN price $999. But then those are L200B's (more desirable to me) with the wrong woofers and a string of stories and excuses and spares in the description.

Rolf
09-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I'll give you a quarter ... including freight.:D

Thanks guys - the more I think about the market where I am and how much I really do like them + how heavy they are and the hassle to ship them if I did sell them - I think I'd be way better off just keeping them and enjoying them. Getting them re-foamed seems like a great idea and I plan on pursuing that idea.
I appreciate the responses.
Take care - Tom

SEAWOLF97
09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Are you people really so cheap?
your cheapness is really bugging my head.:banghead:

I'll give you a quarter ... including freight.:D

looks like Rolf has caught the disease (tho really a bad case :( )

hjames
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
looks like Rolf has caught the disease (tho really a bad case :( )

Yeah, but - the shipping to Norway is gonna EAT HIM ALIVE!