PDA

View Full Version : JBL L100 Restoration

hakka26
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Two weekends ago I decided to go to a distant yard sale. Long story short found a set of huge Ohm Acoustics "F"s and a set of L100's. Bought everything for the grand total of $60. All working. The L100 drivers are in excellent shape except for tweeter foam (first time I've seen a non-dimpled L100 tweeter. Very small dimple in the other) and the cabs are very good. Have the cloth grills. Now the bad. Apparently, someone used 2" pipe to hang the speakers so the pipe flanges are mounted to the sides and then the speaker wires routed through a hole in the sides:blink:. One set of speaker posts is virtually useless. Question is should I look for an original post or go with a pair of new posts with banana plugs?

Rusnzha
09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Comgratulations on a great deal. Parts Express has all kinds of nice things that are a great improvement on the stock connectors.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3&searchHeader=1&ObjectGroup_ID=107%20&so=1%20&filter=binding+posts

SEAWOLF97
09-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Two weekends ago I decided to go to a distant yard sale. Long story short found a set of huge Ohm Acoustics "F"s and a set of L100's.

I want to know about the "F"'s ...working ? going to keep them ?

hakka26
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I want to know about the "F"'s ...working ? going to keep them ?

Yes, Ohms and JBLs are fully functional. I've tried the "F"s with a couple sources and, yes, they are very power hungry and demanding. Presently a Kenwood Basic M1A is the guinea pig. ~100wpc @ 8 and 200wpc @ 4. Runs out of breath just past 12 o'clock. Could be the pre though—Adcom GTP 400. The sound stage , as poorly set up as they are, is fantastic. When i first piled up I thought they were ESS. Then saw the Ohm badge. Thought they were "A"s as that is what was on a plate then was informed that Ohm used the plates on the "F"s early on. Funny thing is when I got them home I found the other had a "B" plate:blink:. They were refoamed by O.C. Speakers in the late 90's so I hope they go for awhile. Took me two trips and a couple hours in a Honda CRX to get everything home. If the pics come up the first is a group shot, then the Walsh drivers mounted and unmounted.

I just picked up a set of Ohm FRS-9's several weeks ago.

Just occurred to me to read the forum rules. As this isn't a JBL discussion feel free, if possible, to move it as necessary.

hakka26
09-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Walsh Drivers

hakka26
09-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Walsh Inner

hjames
09-20-2008, 07:22 AM
VERY Interesting - thanks for the Walsh details - intriguing design!
(the L100s, not so much - I had a set of L100s, wasn't impressed ...
but they sell nicely!)

SEAWOLF97
09-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi
One of our resident Walsh lovers here, ( there is another member with 3 sets of Walsh A's -the 18 incher- and 1 pair of F's) . I have F's and some 2XO's.

Let us know your experience as you get to know these ..great buy that day :applaud:

hakka26
09-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Glad to share the pics. Thanks for the accolades. Three "A"s:blink:. Dang where does he live—Hearst Castle? Thanks for the info on the L100. Most either love 'em or hate 'em. Asked because didn't know if it was PC to change things out. What little playtime I've had so far with the Ohms has has definitely been positive save for their power demands. Will report after I've had some more audition time.

Lucked out. As many audiophiles and flippers there are locally I found these past two o'clock on the last sale day at a garage sale that advertised "stereos and speakers." Asked the price and was told $25 each for the big ones and $20 for the pair of small ones! She accepted $60 for all:applaud:. She told me there was no silver stereo stuff and what was left was late '80s onwards.