PDA

View Full Version : Who has ringing in the ears?

Doc Mark
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Greetings, Friends,

For as long as I can remember, I've had tinnitus, or ringing in the ears. When I was young, and even more stupid that I am now, I used to shoot large caliber firearms with no hearing protection, at all. For about 8 years in the CA National Guard, I was a Tank Platoon Leader, and our old M48's were just plain LOUD! Add to that the fact that I played music, professionally, for almost thirty years, and well, my ears ring, every day, all the time, period!

Once when Sweet Bride and I were snow camping, up on Mt. San Jacinto (10,802 feet), we had setup our tent on 12 feet of snow, and in the middle of the night, I was awakened by what I took to be a Freight Train coming through our tent!!! I ripped open the zipper on the tent fly, and stuck my head outside, to see what could possibly be making such a horrible noise! It was just my ears ringing..... The extreme quiet at that altitude, when everything was deeply covered with snow, really highlighted just how much my ears ring all the time!

Since I got my L300's, and had my 1812 Overture "experience", it seems that they are ringing even louder than they previously were! I'm trying to get them back to "normal", and have been putting the DB meter on the L300's, and the L19's I'm now listening to in my work area. I'm trying to limit the DB's to around 80 +/-. Don't know if it will do any good, but what the heck, eh?!

My question is, how many of you also suffer from tinnitus? If you do have it, how long have you dealt with it, and what are you doing to keep it from getting worse? How do we keep enjoying the music reproduced by our beloved JBL speaker systems, without further damaging our hearing?

This morning, I was looking at those 2380A horns I got the other day, one of which is already mounted on one of the 2445J's I got from Brother Todd, and I thought to myself, "Oh Lord! What have I gotten myself into??!! I'll bet these suckers will be really LOUD, unless I pad them down a good bit"!!:blink::blink: Yeah.... JUST what I need!:blink::blink:

I'd appreciate hearing (no pun intended!) how the rest of you deal with ringing in the ears, and your sharing any remedies you are undertaking to keep things from getting worse. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

SEAWOLF97
09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Doc-
I've had it since late 60's (lots of M16's,M14's,45ACP's,F4J's,UH1's etc) ...I dont know of any remedy..since you are a vet, at least put in a claim with VA comp&pen , its an automatic 10 percent disability....TOM

Ducatista47
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I am 61 years old and have noticed it only recently, perhaps the last year.
It is the product of many years of insults to my system I'm sure, but despite the loud concerts in the 1960's an 70's, lots of headphone use, etc, the major cause was work related. I spent the better part of two years on ten hour overnight shifts between two huge photocopiers (I can hear Rob Schneider now - "Clark - making copies"). Since I was a shift of one and had to answer the phone and service walk in customers, I was not allowed to wear ear protection.

That had much more effect than the occasional concert with long normal periods in between them. Over forty years ago I fell asleep with one ear in the open back of a Fender Concert lead guitar amp (four tens) in the middle of a gig. That was extreme and cost me the ability to hear some highs in that ear, but no tinnitus.

Now I find that it increases temporarily when I listen to music or can't get away from someone's loud TV quickly enough. I have to be careful. I was never one to crank it, but I am wary and moderate now, as compared to how I would be if I did not have this condition. I'm lucky so far. My ringing is minor and only interferes with the quietest passages in the music I listen to.

Clark

Andyoz
09-18-2008, 01:23 AM
I've had it mildly since I was young. Probably headphone use.

I have become more aware of it the last year or so and it may be due to aging as I am careful with concerts, etc. It creeps up on your and once you start to notice it, it does annoy a bit when trying to sleep.

When I started researching it a bit a year ago, I felt better knowing that LOTS of people have it and many are much worse than me. I need my ears for my work so I am paranoid about not making it worse.

I was reading Phil Spectors book and he was renowned for monitoring his mixing incredibly loud (he often broke studio monitors which is hard to do). Apparently he has no hearing loss. I've heard similar stories for other recording engineers so loud music isn't always the to blame (within reason!)

Rusnzha
09-18-2008, 01:33 AM
It came out of nowhere when I was going to sleep one night about 25 years ago. It hasn't gotten better or worse. Luckily, JBLs don't have to be played at ear splitting volume to satisfy, so I don't think they are hurting the situation. When I play them on the living room 7.1, it's easier to forget the ringing than it is when I listen on the bedroom stereo when going to sleep.

Mannermusic
09-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Yes, tinnitus can be "cured." It's a matter of training your brain not to listen to the ringing. It turns out, the worst thing you can do is retreat - avoid noise. Like Doc sleeping in the tent in the middle of nowhere. The brain has a natural tendency to "turn up the gain" when it gets quiet - listening for predators. You hear the normal background noise - not unlike any amplification gear - much louder. But, there are techniques/exercises to teach your brain not to listen to the ringing. Takes some effort. See attached site:http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/THC1.htm MM

bigyank
09-18-2008, 05:31 AM
I got it in my right ear from all things my car stereo (mildly). Showed up noticeably after a sever sinus infection December 2004. Since then when I go to concerts (2-3 per year) I wear hearing protection.

Since I am married with children, I am not allowed to crank it up (unless everyone goes out :rockon2:).

The link Mannermusic added looks interesting, I will have to delve into this more. Hey I am a Navy vet so maybe I will look into the VA too. I spent 3 years with a VP squadron so I can blame that experience.

Yank

mikebake
09-18-2008, 06:06 AM
In very high percentages, if you have tinnitus you have some degree of hearing loss. Get tested now so you know where you are at.
I have studiously avoided nerve overload the last several years, to avoid further degradation. I just ignore it now, for the most part.
I sometimes wear custom molded ear plugs that have various degree of db attentuation filters that can be swapped in and out.
My hearing has what audiologists call the classic "Carharrt" notch. I'm good on both sides of it. It is centered around the 2K range. "Although the notch occurs at 2,000 Hz, a reduction in bone conduction sensitivity is seen from 500 to 4,000 Hz which is, on average, 5 dB at 500 Hz, 10 dB at 1000 Hz, 15 dB at 2000 Hz, and 5 dB at 4,000 Hz (Carhart, 1971)."
Go get a hearing test.

JBL 4645
09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
I noticed it when I was young also and now I think it was due to seeing Earthquake a few years earlier as that film was so damn loud and seeing three times thou not in the same day, but over the course of few weeks.

I’ve had a mild high pitch sound that’s been rising and lowering on both sides thou not at the same level. I tend to sleep a lot most as it brings on depression.

I last had an auditory test 18 to 20 months ago I think? I was told sure I had slight db drop on one side can’t remember which side? I was told by the GP it’s nothing to worry about unless I had loss below a certain frequency where directional sounds.

boputnam
09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
...I used to shoot large caliber firearms with no hearing protection...Hearing protection was not common at rifle ranges in my youth, either. They seemed either ignorant or less respectful than we are now of the long-term damage.

...a reduction in bone conduction sensitivity is seen from 500 to 4,000 Hz which is, on average, 5 dB at 500 Hz, 10 dB at 1000 Hz, 15 dB at 2000 Hz, and 5 dB at 4,000 Hz (Carhart, 1971)."Calicification of the middle-ear ossicular chain ('dem bones, 'dem bones, 'dem - dry bones...) results in them being 'knit' together, and less efficient in mechanical action. Stapendectomies can help but these typically result in loss of hearing in the upper frequencies.

...Go get a hearing test.Do. This won't ameliorate the symptom, but will inform you of it's characteristics.

Yes, tinnitus can be "cured." It's a matter of training your brain not to listen to the ringing. IMO, the ringing you hear are the frequency(s) you are missing. The brain is making-up for the loss(es). That is why the characteristics differ so greatly amongst the afflicted - it relates to the extent and character of their hearing loss. JMO...

I was reading Phil Spectors' book...Wait a damned minute! He's GREAT and he wears glasses - pretty large ones!!! Holymoly!!

Oh sorry, wrong thread... :uhmmmm:

Skywave-Rider
09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Wait a damned minute! He's GREAT and he wears glasses - pretty large ones!!! Holymoly!!

Oh sorry, wrong thread... :uhmmmm:

:)
And he apparently discharges firearms without hearing protection.

SEAWOLF97
09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey I am a Navy vet so maybe I will look into the VA too. I spent 3 years with a VP squadron so I can blame that experience.
Yank

VP-69 = NAS Whidbey ..72-74 ...P2V Neptunes ..., yup there's a lot you can blame on the old "Canoe Club" :D (plus all them other luxury a/c we flew around in)

Donald
09-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a high pitched squeal in both ears. About the frequency of a flyback transformer in an old TV set.

I think I can tie it back to being a groupie/roadie for a Chicago rock and roll band that covered Led Zep, Stones, Humble Pie. James Gang, etc. Many small clubs where you could not get away from the sound. And before earplugs were 'required'.

Rolf
09-20-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't have a ringing, but a hi frq tone in both ears. Around 8000Hz. I have spoken to my doctor about this several times, but is told that there is nothing to do about it.

The only thing to do is not to think about it, and that works for me, and I am not very tormented by this. I have heard that this can be really bad for some, and has even made persons commit suicide.

For me, the only thing is that when I listen to music I have to listen at a higher volume than the annoying frg, but that works fine.

SureFire
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I have ringing in my ears for over 40 years. Couldn't tell you the cause, but I have it. I had a auditory test about 10+ years ago, and I was put in a isolation chamber that was SO quiet I could hear my heart beating. The test determined my ringing was at 4K @ 42db. One remedy was to have a hearing device made that beats against the frequency and nulls out the ringing. I felt I wasn't ready for the device.

What I did discover is the intensity of the ringing has more to do with the FOOD you eat than the noise around you.

The ingredient MSG in your food will make the intensity jump 50% or more. Same with chocolate. I started checking the labels on the food I was eating and inquiring about MSG in the restaurants I was going to. The ringing has been subdued to background noise (it NEVER goes away) and makes things more tolerable, BUT most Chinese Food has MSG in it, and a gourmet meal will bring on 6 hours of severe ringing.

My L'300's are another cure for my ringing, along with some vintage Rock & Jazz.

Doc Mark
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey, Surefire,

Glad to meet yet another happy L300 owner!! :applaud::D

Your comments, on food exascerbating the ringing in our ears, is very interesting, indeed!! I've never thought of it, but in truth, if you eat poorly, you mess up the potassium/sodium "pump" in your cell structure, and all kinds of bad things begin to happen to your body. So, I can well believe that food has an effect on ringing in the ears. Thanks for sharing that with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Andyoz
10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
What I did discover is the intensity of the ringing has more to do with the FOOD you eat than the noise around you.

Yes, from the research I have done, there are many things that can affect it.

You have to remember that hearing is one of the bodies "senses" and is affected by your bodies general state of health. Compare it to your eyes for example, if you don't sleep well then you eye sight starts to blur, etc. Apparently, tiredness can also affect your hearing. I can see how diet would be very important to your hearing and it could make an existing tinnitus conditon worse.

opimax
10-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I have it for years too. I am 52. My father had it also. I know I went to too many concerts , loud car stereos, LOUD head sets, favorite place to hear music was in front of speakers and "fall asleep" ;) at parties.

I am was suggested to take a baby aspirin a day as part of my cholesterol/heart health and quit taking it. It was really much worse. I now where plugs for any work I do even just mowing the lawn, at concerts anytime it might be even just a possibility that that it is too loud.

Some days worse than others, didn't think about food as much. Do others have known food/causes such as aspirin that make it worse or better??:blink::blink:

Mark

johnaec
10-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Do others have known food/causes such as aspirin that make it worse or better??Many drugs, particularly prescription pain killers, can cause mild temporary tinnititus. They're often mentioned on the info sheets, though I imagine you could get some good results with an Internet search.

John

Titanium Dome
10-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I noticed that right before I answer the phone I hear a ringing in my ears.

KromeDome
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM

The ringing in my ears really bothered me until the voices in my head started supressing it by 2dB...

:blink:

JBL 4645
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Well if you what to know about today I’ve had it mild. I can still hear a slight mild high pitch low level very low in level on my left side, right now while typing this, other than that I’m trying not to let it get to me.

Anyone seen Innerspace (1987) where Martin Short starts hearing things like "I hear this little voice talking to me" while disguising it with his doctor, damn funny
Jack “But this little voice is talking to me”
Doctor “See that's just it. Demons talk though you not to you.” :rotfl:

Rolf
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM

:rotfl:

JeffW
10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Too much loud music, years working on drilling rigs, guns...you name it.

Mine is really bad, but I'm sort of used to it I guess. Definitely blocks out certain frequencies, the power back up on the server was going out and beeping like mad and I never heard it. My office is closest to it, people all the way down the hall heard it and I never did. It's mainly ringing, but also other noises. Sometimes it sounds like crickets or cicadas or something, and then I realize it was the dead of winter and no bugs to be heard.

No telling what the EQ on my music sounds like to other people :D

JBL 4645
10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Too much loud music, years working on drilling rigs, guns...you name it.

Mine is really bad, but I'm sort of used to it I guess. Definitely blocks out certain frequencies, the power back up on the server was going out and beeping like mad and I never heard it. My office is closest to it, people all the way down the hall heard it and I never did. It's mainly ringing, but also other noises. Sometimes it sounds like crickets or cicadas or something, and then I realize it was the dead of winter and no bugs to be heard.

No telling what the EQ on my music sounds like to other people :D

I think it should be really enforced when buying hi-fi or PA ware these ear plugs during loud moments, quitter softer levels is okay without the ear plugs, its no joy believe me. Too damn bright I would imagine. They say a type of food or mineral vitamin can help to relax it, orange juice with vitamin C so it maybe a good type to start buying Florida orange juice.

I got it a bit tonight plus that guitar thing that has something to do with pressure, it feels like I got out of the wrong side of the decompression chamber.:(

Akira
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I have had tinitus for 20 years.
There is no cure for this--period.
I am now extremely careful and wear plugs even when driving. I avoid loud sounds especially saw tooth.

HERE'S THE STRANGE THING. I seem to be able to mix better now than ever and music sounds the same to me as it always did.

I have tests taken every year and am very aware of my state of hearing. The main thing is I've learned to compensate for any deficiency. The only handicap I feel I have is, my ears fatigue much faster now.

Mr. Widget
10-06-2008, 11:26 PM
The only handicap I feel I have is, my ears fatigue much faster now.Other than a couple of short bouts of temporary ringing in the ears after concerts, I have been very fortunate not to develop any appreciable hearing loss or tinnititis over all of these years of listening to music at moderate to loud levels and working in wood and machine shops. But I absolutely find my ears fatigue much faster now than when I was younger.

Widget

boputnam
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
...I absolutely find my ears fatigue much faster now than when I was younger.It makes sense, I guess. The cartilaginous material of the middle ear is less flexible with age. Just like other joints... Likewise, the hair bundles in the cochlea are incredibly fragile and surely increasingly vulnerable.

But let's not ignore the (deleterious...? :hmm: ) advances in SR. Line arrays are by-design astonishingly efficient in projection of sound. No longer do you have to be "on the rail" to get blasted - it can happen hundreds of yards back from stage as well... :o:

Oldmics
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
[quote= Line arrays are by-design astonishingly efficient in projection of sound. No longer do you have to be "on the rail" to get blasted - it can happen hundreds of yards back from stage as well... :o:[/quote]

Yeah,aint it GREAT :blink:

Oldmics

Perfect hearing from 10 hz-D.C.

Mr. Widget
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Perfect hearing from 10 hz-D.C.:applaud: :rotfl: :applaud:

You and a few other Lansing Heritage members. ;)

Widget

LRBacon
10-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I've had tinnitus since I was very young. I would get ear infections and my ears would plug up all the time. At an early age when my hearing was tested I found out that I had a 15 -20 % loss in my right ear. It was this ear that I had the ringing in. It was very high pitched around 15K Hz and most of the time not noticeable unless I was in a very quiet room. My hearing in my left ear was quite good for a number of years and I tried to avoid loud noises. In 1995 I went to a Neil Diamond concert in Seattle at Key Arena. The music was just right volume wise, I thought to myself this was alright. We sat up in one of the nose bleed sections. Later in the concert, Neil got the crowd going and they got LOUD. I came out there and my ears were ringing like crazy and everthing sounded muffled.
Ever since that concert my left ear hearing has gone down hill. Now I have the high pitched ringing in both ears and another much lower frequency ringing in my left ear. I have more difficulty now understanding conversations especially in noisey places. I've had my hearing tested probably once or twice in the last 3 years or so.

Larry
Who plays his L110's at a moderate level.

Andyoz
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's some photos to illustrate what happens when you damage those little hair cells in the ear...

1) Good Inner Ear

2) Damaged Inner Ear

JBL 4645
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow never seen anything like that before incredible how did they manage to get images like that, no don’t tell me please makes my skin crawl it does, :( probably just high powered microscope.:)

I wonder if they can rejuvenate the hair cells and inject or maybe pill of some type. The lower picture looks like someone did a piss poor lawn mowing of someone’s garden.

I've had tinnitus since I was very young. I would get ear infections and my ears would plug up all the time. At an early age when my hearing was tested I found out that I had a 15 -20 % loss in my right ear. It was this ear that I had the ringing in. It was very high pitched around 15K Hz and most of the time not noticeable unless I was in a very quiet room. My hearing in my left ear was quite good for a number of years and I tried to avoid loud noises. In 1995 I went to a Neil Diamond concert in Seattle at Key Arena. The music was just right volume wise, I thought to myself this was alright. We sat up in one of the nose bleed sections. Later in the concert, Neil got the crowd going and they got LOUD. I came out there and my ears were ringing like crazy and everthing sounded muffled.
Ever since that concert my left ear hearing has gone down hill. Now I have the high pitched ringing in both ears and another much lower frequency ringing in my left ear. I have more difficulty now understanding conversations especially in noisey places. I've had my hearing tested probably once or twice in the last 3 years or so.

Larry
Who plays his L110's at a moderate level.

That’s heavy mate blocked up ears was it like puss of mustard colour like puss that smelled? Because I’ve had something similar to that around mid 1990’s to early 2000 haven’t had it in years now, it was as if my ears where sweating and building up this puss.

What I tend to get is part of the Psoriasis grows down around my ear and part the ear cannel and it cursed a slight irritation during the mid 1990’s. I had to dig out a piece of Psoriasis that had grown into tube like form of skin that was rubbing against my ear drum, the doctor said he couldn’t see a thing that was wrong. That was until I managed to retract it.

I often put a small drop of ointment around the ear and just on the inside to the cannel to reduce the build up, so I’m not a happy bunny at all.

JBL 4645
10-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Update on my tinnitus Saturday 25th though to early hours of Sunday 26th. Tinnitus seems to be extremely soft in fact I can’t hear it at all?

A few days’ earlier I had it for nearly 4 day in row and boy did I feel down in the dumps with it.

It’s a strange medical condition that comes when it pleases then goes away [click fingers] just like that! Weird and I think its down to chemical reaction that the body might be generating? I think its some kind of adrenaline rush or other?

Could be a drink a food of a type? I’ve hardly eaten yesterday and I have been for short walk down the road to diy store. All though yesterday and partly into this day its been 0db no tinnitus, why can’t this be like all days because I hate feeling depressed when it kicks in.

Rolf
10-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Update on my tinnitus Saturday 25th though to early hours of Sunday 26th. Tinnitus seems to be extremely soft in fact I can’t hear it at all?

You don't have tinnitus. We who got it has it all the time.
TaDa.

JBL 4645
10-26-2008, 02:39 AM
You don't have tinnitus. We who got it has it all the time.
TaDa.

Oh, morning Rolf, haven’t seen you around here in while.

I have no reason lie. It is now 09:26 hours Sunday 26th and I have mild high pitch kinder soft sounding. I woke up this morning did some cleaning with the brush and vacuum cleaner. About 6 or minutes later I noticed it creeping back in [sigh].

I’m not sure what triggers it off its puzzling? It seems tinnitus as its own individualism it comes and goes when it pleases.

I tell you another strange thing that I’ve noticed is my (right ear) sometimes while sitting upright in the chair I can hear the blood pumping on my right side its kinder creepy and off putting because I can’t concentrate. I haven’t had the thing on the right side since last week.

I thought maybe I stained myself lifting something heavy in the past and it’s cursed a slight minor problem. Nothing to worry or concern yourself about Rolf, I ‘m a grown man I can handle myself, but it does become taxing on the nerves.

Since I started typing this message the pitch as increased slightly 09:37 :( I guess (it’s me) banging away on the keyboard LOL. No it doesn’t help banging on the keyboard LOL:D

I don’t know about the rest of you guys? I think I’m going to have miserable Sunday, with this sodden (tinnitus) not that it makes any difference its overcast its damp cold and its raining outside.
[Sigh]

4313B
10-26-2008, 03:16 AM
Allergies. Sinus pressure can cause ringing in the ears. Try an antihistamine or decongestant. Avoid dairy products at night. Reduce sugar intake. :blah::blah::blah:

JBL 4645
10-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Allergies. Sinus pressure can cause ringing in the ears. Try an antihistamine or decongestant. Avoid dairy products at night. Reduce sugar intake. :blah::blah::blah:

Hmm, interesting so there can be several curses to the ring in the ears.:confused:

I’ve just finished breakfast with four eggs fried eggs and some bread and butter. I rarely drink milk thou I think I should its good they say for teeth. Thou I tend to drink Robinsons blackcurrant fruit drink a lot.

I don’t drink smoke do or do drugs and yet I’m cursed with the tinnitus it’s a curse. :D

So the Robinsons blackcurrant fruit has traces of sugar in it. Basically I’m fucked :D LOL I could go back to drinking sparkling mineral water I don’t have a problem with that at all.

SEAWOLF97
11-10-2008, 11:58 AM
On top of tinnitus, I have to take a black marker and write the letters on my keytops as large as possible. :o:

jblsound
11-10-2008, 02:05 PM

I've read that B12 and C can help with tinitus.
My left ear started ringing about 2 years ago, it comes and goes to the point its either stopped or is so low I don't notice it. Other times its quite loud.

Can't imagine why, played the stereo loud since I was 13 or 14, during the 3 years in Special Forces I fired most every weapon known to the army, had a demolitions MOS, and being in construction for 37 years since.

JBL 4645
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I've read that B12 and C can help with tinitus.
My left ear started ringing about 2 years ago, it comes and goes to the point its either stopped or is so low I don't notice it. Other times its quite loud.

Can't imagine why, played the stereo loud since I was 13 or 14, during the 3 years in Special Forces I fired most every weapon known to the army, had a demolitions MOS, and being in construction for 37 years since.

If you do a search you’ll find information relating to the military. I think it’s the U.S. Navy where a diver was exposed to15 minutes I think I read 180db (LFA) Low Frequency Antenna. Afterwards he was feeling dizzy had chest pains slight bit of loss of hearing I’d say the poor bugger is fucked up no thanks to the U.S. government and there evil experiments.

This LFA also harms (marine life) “a deaf whale is no better then dead whale” I think that’s the quote from what I can remember reading 9 years ago. LFA has high output of 240db!!!! U.S. Navy turn it off or turn it way down to 70db or get out of the Oscan and stop killing marine life!

hjames
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
If you do a search you’ll find information relating to the military. I think it’s the U.S. Navy where a diver was exposed to15 minutes I think I read 180db (LFA) Low Frequency Antenna. Afterwards he was feeling dizzy had chest pains slight bit of loss of hearing I’d say the poor bugger is fucked up no thanks to the U.S. government and there evil experiments.

This LFA also harms (marine life) “a deaf whale is no better then dead whale” I think that’s the quote from what I can remember reading 9 years ago. LFA has high output of 240db!!!! U.S. Navy turn it off or turn it way down to 70db or get out of the Oscan and stop killing marine life!:biting:

WHAT?? What ARE you trying to say ...?
Your weird rant has apparently NO RELATION to the "poor bugger" that played music loud for many years, "during the 3 years in Special Forces fired most every weapon known to the army,and in construction for 37 years since." and had some tinitus afterwards ...
He was not some ding dang whale in the oscan (sic) .. tho I suppose you meant OCEAN.

You want to rant like that?
Go find the Up all night Roswell wackanuts chatrooms, not the JBL speaker forums ...

JoMoCo
11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I have had periods when the ringing comes and goes, but it motivated me to do some research into why and how it is triggered. Stress, diet, blood sugar, general health can all be factors ... Why not do some of your own research into helping the body's healing response to tinnitus. Some, but not all tinnitus, is reverseable through control of candida / fungal overgrowth which can inhibit maintenence & healing of trauma as well as normal wear & tear and does cause inflamation in and of itself. Fish Oil, Citrus & Spice Oils, Chlorella, Turmeric, Co-Q10, MSM, most phytonutrients & natural anti inflammatories can be helpful supplements...YMMV

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
WHAT?? What ARE you trying to say ...?
Your weird rant has apparently NO RELATION to the "poor bugger" that played music loud for many years, "during the 3 years in Special Forces fired most every weapon known to the army,and in construction for 37 years since." and had some tinitus afterwards ...
He was not some ding dang whale in the oscan (sic) .. tho I suppose you meant OCEAN.

You want to rant like that? Go find the Up all night Roswell wackanuts chatrooms, not the JBL speaker forums ...

Good blimey girl what’s eating you? This is this the first time you’ve visited this thread this has to be an historical occasion of epic proportions.:D

Don’t get your knickers in twist. Do you suffer from high pitch ringing on and off, otherwise stroke one of the pussies and relax.:cool:

Besides I don’t like scum chat rooms :barf:seems like you have some experience
with them.:D "Roswell" yeah I’m sure :beamup:(Area 51) is transmitting an ultra high power tinnitus beam all over the world to bugger me and others up.:D

Ducatista47
11-11-2008, 12:30 AM
"Roswell" yeah I’m sure (Area 51) is transmitting an ultra high power tinnitus beam all over the world to bugger me and others up.:D
:rotfl: I have a working shield against the Tinnitus Beam, but the neighbors' rays designed to give me headaches and make my bread moldy seem to be getting through.

Clark, wrapped in aluminum foil...

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 12:44 AM
:rotfl: I have a working shield against the Tinnitus Beam, but the neighbors' rays designed to give me headaches and make my bread moldy seem to be getting through.

Clark, wrapped in aluminum foil...

LOL oh that’s funny one mate. Oh, dear I wonder I worry about our Heather, sometimes if she’s getting enough vitamins in her diet, :D I mean she just wigged out on me, and after defending her a few times, on the boards this is how I get repaired.

Heather lighten up girl I’m only having joke there. :D

I’ve had this sodden tinnitus ringing softly on both sides of ears since yesterday and into today I haven’t had much sleep, not sure at times, if this causes insomnia? Plus I had to wash the Sooty 50 minutes ago as it’s been rolling around in cat shit in the litter-box stuck to its black fluffy coat. And yet I remain cool :cool: and Heather, starts barking at, me give me a break please its 07:44am in the morning.

Ducatista47

Mate, you keep working on that shield and make more I need all the protection I can get from the tinnitus beam!:rotfl:

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I have had periods when the ringing comes and goes, but it motivated me to do some research into why and how it is triggered. Stress, diet, blood sugar, general health can all be factors ... Why not do some of your own research into helping the body's healing response to tinnitus. Some, but not all tinnitus, is reverseable through control of candida / fungal overgrowth which can inhibit maintenence & healing of trauma as well as normal wear & tear and does cause inflamation in and of itself. Fish Oil, Citrus & Spice Oils, Chlorella, Turmeric, Co-Q10, MSM, most phytonutrients & natural anti inflammatories can be helpful supplements...YMMV

I think another member mentioned that on page 3 is it where on page 4 now it might be page 2. I wonder if that is the true case to this issue maybe you and like me and few others prone to getting this! Its enough at times, to give me thoughts of suicide :( yes it can at times, get to me and I’m sure you as well.

Maybe I should go back to drinking Budweiser and eating coasted cream biscuits instead of drinking Robinsons blackcurrant fruit drink. No I don’t drink smoke or do drugs and I have this shit on and off its not something I can, just turn off…I wish.

jblsound
11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
As I've said my tinnitus is fairly low volume. If there is any noise in the room, music, movie, the heater on, I generally can't hear the ringing, or its so low it doesn't bother me.
I do think there is some truth to tinnitus being linked to diet. Most everything is, as far as health is concerned.
And although diabetes has been linked to hearing problems, my tinnitus started two years or more before I was diagnosed with diabetes this past July. Which they figure started to kick in 3 months before, or about the day I turned 60. But its also a disease of heredity, both my parents had it.

And the tinnitus doesn't seem to be any worse than before. I think my tinnitus is caused more by things being loud, loud, loud over many years, than anything else.
I find now that when I use a compound miter saw or table saw, I always want ear plugs, as that high pitched sound goes right through my head, especially in an empty house. Never much bothered me in years past.

hjames
11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Please ... in a thread where people are talking about tinitus and the the dad-blammed ringing in yer ears, you take that and run the thread off on some unrelated rant about the US Navy killing marine life based on something you might have read 9 years ago!

And you think you have the stones to say I am wigged out??
Yeah, right!

LOL oh that’s funny one mate. Oh, dear I wonder I worry about our Heather, sometimes if she’s getting enough vitamins in her diet, :D I mean she just wigged out on me, and after defending her a few times, on the boards this is how I get repaired.

Heather lighten up girl I’m only having joke there. :D

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
As I've said my tinnitus is fairly low volume. If there is any noise in the room, music, movie, the heater on, I generally can't hear the ringing, or its so low it doesn't bother me.
I do think there is some truth to tinnitus being linked to diet. Most everything is, as far as health is concerned.
And although diabetes has been linked to hearing problems, my tinnitus started two years or more before I was diagnosed with diabetes this past July. Which they figure started to kick in 3 months before, or about the day I turned 60. But its also a disease of heredity, both my parents had it.

And the tinnitus doesn't seem to be any worse than before. I think my tinnitus is caused more by things being loud, loud, loud over many years, than anything else.
I find now that when I use a compound miter saw or table saw, I always want ear plugs, as that high pitched sound goes right through my head, especially in an empty house. Never much bothered me in years past.

Because the music or the sound level has gone above the handhold level of the tinnitus inner ear noise level!

I stumbled on temporary cure for relaxing the tinnitus noise several years ago, this was before I joined this site much less the internet.

Take your hands and cup the left hand around your left ear! while placing the right hand partly on the left so that right hand is in front of your mouth!

Now make some soft hiss whoosh sounds gently!

Now mirror your hands over to the right ear and repeat this process.

This should relax the tinnitus only for a few minutes until the threshold level comes down! Kinder like an audio compressor is the way I see it now. When you play something loud the like dialogue yelling sound the level is compressed turn the compressor off and its full dynamic range???

Weird yes I know but it works for me and I see no reason why it should work for you!!

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Please ... in a thread where people are talking about tinitus and the the dad-blammed ringing in yer ears, you take that and run the thread off on some unrelated rant about the US Navy killing marine life based on something you might have read 9 years ago!

And you think you have the stones to say I am wigged out??
Yeah, right!

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/Kittenscratchnakedgun1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/Kittenscratchnakedgun2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/Kittenscratchnakedgun3.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/IndianaJones34/Kittenscratchnakedgun4.jpg

Yeah I deserved that.:D

I don’t think you were listening Heather! I mentioned that as part of the issue! The guy was in (Special Forces) and the other guy I mentioned was in the U.S. Navy same thing it’s the government!!!

The poor guy was exposed to (LFA) lost hearing chest pains and I happened to mention marine life because this LFA is lethal killer of our oceans! “A deaf whale is no better than dead whale” because it can’t navigate though the oceans to migrate! Just let that part sink in Heather and you might understand one or two things about noise![Sigh]:banghead:

I really do think at times you work for the (CIA) I mean it is Virginia where you live.:D

hjames
11-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Look, lemme 'splain it to you, loopy ...

here in the US, its Veterans day, a day we give thanks for the folks who have worked, fought, and died for the country we live in today - (and for the country YOU live in as well), yet you come across with some wacko rant with no facts, no links, no reality other than some half-remembered thing about the US Navy hurting some poor sailor and killing marine life.
I think you probably saw it in a movie - you seem unable to speak without slathering screen caps over any conversation you join ... dropping the level of conversation below the floor of common sense. It ain't Star Trek, matey!

Yes, I know there are navy VLF projects out there, but I doubt it has anything to do with your tinnitus, with my tinnitus or with jblsound and jomoco's problem ... its just an annecdote you kinder remember ...

Yeah I deserved that.:D

I don’t think you were listening Heather! I mentioned that as part of the issue! The guy was in (Special Forces) and the other guy I mentioned was in the U.S. Navy same thing it’s the government!!!

The poor guy was exposed to (LFA) lost hearing chest pains and I happened to mention marine life because this LFA is lethal killer of our oceans! “A deaf whale is no better than dead whale” because it can’t navigate though the oceans to migrate! Just let that part sink in Heather and you might understand one or two things about noise![Sigh]:banghead:

I really do think at times you work for the (CIA) I mean it is Virginia where you live.:D

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Look, lemme 'splain it to you, loopy ...

here in the US, its Veterans day, a day we give thanks for the folks who have worked, fought, and died for the country we live in today - (and for the country YOU live in as well), yet you come across with some wacko rant with no facts, no links, no reality other than some half-remembered thing about the US Navy hurting some poor sailor and killing marine life.
I think you probably saw it in a movie - you seem unable to speak without slathering screen caps over any conversation you join ... dropping the level of conversation below the floor of common sense. It ain't Star Trek, matey!

Yes, I know there are navy VLF projects out there, but I doubt it has anything to do with your tinnitus, with my tinnitus or with jblsound and jomoco's problem ... its just an annecdote you kinder remember ...

:blink:

Heather it isn’t even full-moon yet isn’t it a bit too early to start sprouting hairs!:D
http://www.filmsinreview.com/archives/images/2008/03/werewolf-three-way.jpg

No its fact based on fact of course your just pissed with me because I’m half dyslexic and managed to do a simple search 9 years ago without the aid of any help from anyone so don’t start with. Clam down theirs a good kitty.:D Or is the CIA working overtime these days?

I was unaware its Veterans Day my apologies.

jblsound
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Because the music or the sound level has gone above the handhold level of the tinnitus inner ear noise level!

How profound!
And right now there is nothing making any noise and the ringing is just barely noticable, hardly going to drive me to drink or anything else.

And by the way, Special Forces has nothing to do with the Navy, that would be Navy Seals, other than we all went to the same jump school, at Fort Benning, GA.
And besides I'm a land lover.

JBL 4645
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
How profound!
And right now there is nothing making any noise and the ringing is just barely noticable, hardly going to drive me to drink or anything else.

And by the way, Special Forces has nothing to do with the Navy, that would be Navy Seals, other than we all went to the same jump school, at Fort Benning, GA.
And besides I'm a land lover.

JBLsound

Well I’m a world lover, for out which life wouldn’t be possible on this planet.:)

Maybe tinnitus comes in several forms of categories?

I’m having me evening meal right now, and what I’m noticing is slow descent on the high pitch soft tone.
I’m eating Uncle Ben’s microwave rich with tuna-fish and mayonnaise mixed into it.

The sound system is all turned on and ready to play, but I haven’t played any music or films in the past 2 ½ hours or so.

I thought I heard of that name somewhere before as featured as backdrop in We Were Solders. Fort Benning and the (jump towers).

Peace.:)

pocketchange
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Offshore diving on a crane boat (2 years) and being below deck when the explosives went off started mine in the 70s. It's to the point of having to have AM radio (on low) when I'm trying to sleep. I have noticed that eating a few prunes or peanuts before retiring seems to reduce the ringing (also had a few near diving mishaps hasn't been positive, I'm guessing).
Interesting about B12 and reducing MSG.
Bottom line is it's a PITA when you are trying to do something like hunting.

JBL 4645
02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I’ve been poorly on money recently so I’ve had little orange juice intake and the pitch as been in both sides for well over a week mildly thou, but even mildly is more than enough to curse depression.:(

Offshore diving on a crane boat (2 years) and being below deck when the explosives went off started mine in the 70s. It's to the point of having to have AM radio (on low) when I'm trying to sleep. I have noticed that eating a few prunes or peanuts before retiring seems to reduce the ringing (also had a few near diving mishaps hasn't been positive, I'm guessing).
Interesting about B12 and reducing MSG.
Bottom line is it's a PITA when you are trying to do something like hunting.

Prunes my dad always used to stock that in the kitchen cupboard I rather liked the taste and was it with cream or rice pudding I had it with???

I’ll make a note of this for the shopping next week at ASDA.

Cheers :cheers:

sonofagun
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Just discovered and read thru this long and interesting thread. Noticed that no one (unless I missed it) has talked about having your ears professionally cleaned. I'm talking about someone who knows what they're doing (ear specialist) and mechanically cleans your ears inside; not one of those water flush machines - I advise avoiding them as the process is miserable.

I have had it done a couple of times and it's amazing how much crud is pulled out of your ears. Last time I had it done, I immediately noticed how much better my hearing was in that ear.

Anyone else have that experience or care to comment?

Mannermusic
02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Cleaning your ears is a great idea for starters! But, the tinnitus phenomenon is well researched (Pawel Jastreboff) with related treatment methodology (TRT training). Click on the link in post #6 of this thread. It works, honest! No magic, vitamins, psychotherapy required. Everyone has "tinnitus" - not unlike background noise in electronics gear, it's just a matter of degree. As we get older, it seems to become more noticeable - like a lot of stuff!! The TRT procedure does take some effort, practice, however. Mike

JBL 4645
02-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Just discovered and read thru this long and interesting thread. Noticed that no one (unless I missed it) has talked about having your ears professionally cleaned. I'm talking about someone who knows what they're doing (ear specialist) and mechanically cleans your ears inside; not one of those water flush machines - I advise avoiding them as the process is miserable.

I have had it done a couple of times and it's amazing how much crud is pulled out of your ears. Last time I had it done, I immediately noticed how much better my hearing was in that ear.

Anyone else have that experience or care to comment?

During the mid 1990’s I used to get excessive build up of mustard like coloured, whew it smelled like candle wax big time. I had for several years until it cleared up I was picking it out with anything Q-tip even the end that plastic cap that fits on the top of ballpoint pen.

The doctor said he couldn’t see anything wrong since I cleared most of it out.

But I guess your right I’ll mention this next time to the GP and ask for specialist to clean the ears out, but I doubt it would affect this frigging noise that I’ve since mid 70’s.

I was listening at heavy levels during the 1990’s at home and listening to loud films more than twice in the cinema that had JBL all-behind the screen at the local and I can’t say that does you any good.

Plus I attended a really naff club with friend most Fridays, she and me will go to this place in Boscombe called “Spooks” and db level was ridiculously loud, I had to stick wet-tissue paper in my ears to take off the high end! My ears buzzed for hours after leaving that place,:( and it wasn’t even JBL!

Cleaning your ears is a great idea for starters! But, the tinnitus phenomenon is well researched (Pawel Jastreboff) with related treatment methodology (TRT training). Click on the link in post #6 of this thread. It works, honest! No magic, vitamins, psychotherapy required. Everyone has "tinnitus" - not unlike background noise in electronics gear, it's just a matter of degree. As we get older, it seems to become more noticeable - like a lot of stuff!! The TRT procedure does take some effort, practice, however. Mike

Like threshold level control in relaxing a loud sound and when the softer sound comes in it’s easier to hear.

If I place my hands around my ear and mouth and make a (hisss) sound for a few seconds and then purse. The tinnitus I can’t hear it, until about a minute it starts to creep back kinder like the (release time on limiter or compressor).

Give it try there might be something their worth investigating and it doesn’t cost a single penny.

So cup one hand around you’re mouth the other around you’re ear and (hiss and shhhh) make it sound like white or pink noise by making the pitch of around 4Khz that’s a rough guess.

sonofagun
02-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Let us know the results if/when you get your ears cleaned - post here and I would appreciate a PM from you or anyone else. You can't clean them well yourself. A specialist will use special tools to open up your ear channel and clean deeply. Avoid a water flush method or technique (from my experience anyway :biting:).

JBL 4645
02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I brought some ASDA Prunes this afternoon so I should know within a few days after eating some ASDA Prunes and some rice pudding if it does relax the tinnitus.

Doc Mark
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey, 4645,

Eating prunes and rice pudding might relax "something", but it might not be the tinnitus!! ;);):D:blink: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBL 4645
02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Hey, 4645,

Eating prunes and rice pudding might relax "something", but it might not be the tinnitus!! ;);):D:blink: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Morning Doc

Well oddly enough its mild or no, no I can’t hear it at the moment and I’ve been eating Scotch Eggs and mayonnaise. I’ve been relaxed all last night and though to the early morning hours of now. Weird how it comes and goes?

It might be something other than tinnitus? Someone mentioned on few pages back from this one.
:cheers:

JBL 4645
02-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Right now I’m feeling depressed :( due to the mild thing white pink noise what ever the hell it is? Its depressing me I have all the sound system turned ON but can’t be asked to play anything at the present time. Maybe later when it stops?? :(

jeenie67
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
.....in both my ears...he can count too! The only ringing I ever get is when I sit two feet in front of my amps and hemorrhage the tubes at stupid volumes... 85 and 30 watts beaming in my face for three or four hours!
I learned a long time ago that when I do my yearly physical to have my ears cleaned regardless of what they (the Doc's) say. Simple maintainence of one of my senses...which at times I don't make! Leaving a small residue of wax in the ear is necessary they say in their argument...so leave some I say...and everybody's happy. Indeed! You should see the pile of crud they extract! And I can turn my stereo down one click.

jeenie67
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
....in which I studied the effects of high volume (either stereos, pro-audio, or firearm discharge) and what the ramifications could be for the human ear. My research paper stated (argument supported by multiple, auditory specific, medical university research studies) that the prolonged exposure to high volume levels, even when at close proximity to the ear (headphones) had no damaging effects even for prolonged periods of time. The human anatomy, specifically the brain, if repeatedly receiving this information (constant extreme volume levels) over century's of time, would alter the physical structure of the external ear (or accommodate this phenomenon by augmenting the measure and composition of cells to the external ear). The auditory canal which channels sound waves to the middle ear would slowly decrease in diameter in an attempt to compensate for the continual volume intensity.
Short duration, high impact sound levels such as in an explosive discharge, presented entirely different effects. These short duration, extreme intensity, and physically impactive vibratory disturbances to the middle and internal ear components can cause irreparable damage. Specifically the magnitude of this particular concentration of sound wave has the ability to destroy, disfigure, or recalibrate the delicate tolerances of the middle ear bone elements and may rupture the tympanic membrane. In some instances the effects to these middle ear elements may not be remarkable till a later time. For some, coupled with the aging processes, a negative effect might not manifest itself till midlife or later.

Allanvh5150
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM
If you can hear ringing in your ears, then the music just aint loud enough!:applaud:

jeenie67
03-01-2009, 07:17 AM
....and I whole hardheartedly concur!.... :band: ..........spin dem' knobs till the shaft snaps!!

MBates
03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Only when I drink Jack Daniels

loach71
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Only when I drink Jack Daniels

Or Knob Creek

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
picked this mag up yesterday at the hosp...will check it out and report if any good tips ....some phone numbers and web addresses maybe will help

doodlebug
03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread. I played in all sorts of bands in the 70s, mostly in smaller venues but for 4 hours at a time, 3 nights a weekend for most of the 70s.

For the past 6 years or so, I've been playing in jazz combos that can get surprisingly loud. I feel fortunate, after having read the reports here, that I've managed to avoid - so far - ringing problems in the ear.

I've now started using ear plugs when I play but playing sax and using ear plugs is much like humming while you have a head cold. It really distorts what I hear of myself playing. That's a bummer of a tradeoff. That's me attached but abusing myself w/o using earplugs.

Cheers,

David

Oldmics
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Personally,I"m building candles from my earwax. :p

Its the "green" thing to do.

Oldmics

JL Sargent
03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
My first post here, and its about tinnitus! I've had it for 3 years. Alot of things can kick it off initially I understand. For me it was a 10" I beam across the top of my head at work. Now I have to be real careful what I expose my hearing to. My 5yr old shouting and screaming sets if off real good. I wonder if I were to wear ear plugs all the time would it stop? Im tempted to try it. As far as hearing tests go. Really wonder if my search for the great speaker that I cannot find is blocked by my hearing.

LRBacon
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Anybody tried Lippo Flavonoids or Tinni Fix?

I saw Lippo Flavonoids advertised on TV as a relief for tinnittus. Thought would try some if I could find it at a local nutrition store.

jblsound
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
According to the search I just did, Lipo-Flavonoid is sold at Walmart and Walgreens.
I'm going to Walmart to get some.

jeenie67
03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
...did someone say...answer the phone?

JBL 4645
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah still got it! That whooshy wishy hissy like filtered narrow white noise in my middle ears! It comes and goes as it pleases LOL!

I was just talking to my dad, and he doesn’t have it. He’s listened to loud music and been to night clubs in the past, as well as using power tools and why doesn’t he have it?

It might be clear tomorrow then again it might clear up in 1hours time?:(

jblsound
05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Ringing is also caused by diabetes or pre-diabetes. That's when my ringing started, at a point in time I was probably pre-diabetic.

lgvenable
05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
which is how i acquired some tinnitus, more noticeable at some times than others. And a 30dB hearing loss in my right ear.

My first exposure to tinnitus? Can anyone else remember Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery tour :blink: . The arena was set up in quadraphonic in those pre 5.1 days in Big D>>>Dallas. We sat between the two rear banks facing the stage from the first set of sets off the floor; my ears rang for 5 days after.

However I pity the poor fool that hung onto one of the speaker banks (to our right) listening to the concert, his ears had to ring for months......

That concert was exceptionally loud.

But then again he was probably stoned to the bone....like others in the crowd were.

Can anyone else relate to that?:D

Can anyone say "What??>>I can't hear you!!"

BTW lipo-flavonoids will do nothing for most tinntius sufferers except lighten your pockets by 30.00 a bottle.

1audiohack
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
So has anyone tried "Quietus"?

I don't have the curse to any bothersome degree so I never looked into this drug.

I don't know if its experimental or not, they seem to test a lot of drugs in Las Vegas.

I guess were known for testing stuff no one else wants to, at least we useta.

JBL 4645
06-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Ringing is also caused by diabetes or pre-diabetes. That's when my ringing started, at a point in time I was probably pre-diabetic.

That’s interesting.

I’ve had mild if not very mild (less) hissy ringing sound for the past 3 days now. My mood let us say is cheery.

Isn’t sugar connected with the diabetes issue?

As long as I don’t hear day in and day out, I’m sound, cool.:cool:

I’ve been drinking cream soda for the since Friday I do a cream soda each weekend starting with Friday though to Sunday. I’m not sure if the drink is connected??

herki the cat
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
when I play but playing sax and using ear plugs is much like humming while you have a head cold. It really distorts what I hear of myself playing. That's a bummer of a tradeoff. Cheers,David

You can buy Professional Prescription ear defenders designed for musicians by skilled professional hearing physicians to significantly reduce the high sound presure levels and you can still hear the mid upper tones quite comfortablly, plus the lower frequency tones at safe sound pressure levels.

This highly recommended technology provides 15 db to 20 db attenuation in the spectrum below 6,000 hz. These things are wonderfull and you can still hear all the music with them.

Musicians expose themselves to incrediblly loud ear damaging sounds. What makes it worse is the extremely loud electronic amplication used on the job. You ask them them to turn doun the electronic volume, and most musicians simiply turn it up more. I believe they are using cheap drug store ear plugs. The reality is that in the old days, the sound presure level unaided by sound re-enforcing electronics was already ear-damaging loud.

slowmotion
06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Howdy

I've had tinnitus for over 15 years,
and I know exactly when it started.
Air tool to close to my right ear.

Stress and too much coffee makes it worse.

Listening to the wind through the trees is bliss.

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
This is why I’d never go to live rubbish PA concert.:barf:

It’s got the worst sound system ever made because its disrupted by morons that yell and scream all around (you) this adds up on the hearing loss many times greater than the sound system many meters away.

A night club has mild talking to yelling at someone because they are purposely standing near to a PA loudspeaker that is hung overhead.

Glasses clink and (shatter occasionally) I worked a glass collector in night club many moons ago and I had to stuff wet tissue paper in my ears to muffle down the NOISE! I think the night club was called “Clouds” that is no longer known under the name, due to management change over the years.

Also the hissy sound has come back on both sides this evening, :( where it was clam relaxed for some 3 days.

I feel slightly stressed today wound up, might be the fact I’ve drank my last “Ben Shaw’s” Cream Soda and I only do Cream Soda on Fridays and weekends only.

hjames
06-07-2010, 06:31 PM
This is why I’d never go to live rubbish PA concert.:barf:

It’s got the worst sound system ever made because its disrupted by morons that yell and scream all around (you) this adds up on the hearing loss many times greater than the sound system many meters away.

Not all concerts are "live rubbish PA Concert" - but you'll never know because you apparently don't get out much!?

You don't like much of ANYTHING, now do ya?

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Not all concerts are "live rubbish PA Concert" - but you'll never know because you apparently don't get out much!?

You don't like much of ANYTHING, now do ya?

You got that right its too loud outside!:p I carry ear plugs with me, just in case the bus sounds lousy with 100db SPL level that drills though your (head my head). I don't know how most of the passengers can tolerate it.

I think the bus number was 523 or 525 I have the ticket around somewhere. It was TOO low and TOO loud! When I step off the bus it feels like the pressure makes me dizzy because of the sudden getting off it and the pressure outside is different more natural.

There are some newer Yellow Bournemouth buses being put into service that sound way, way quieter at least 20db less by listening to the sound of the engine even at the back where the engine is located.

I’ll try and remember to take the SPL db meter with tomorrow.

Monoblock
06-07-2010, 10:54 PM
For what it's worth my ears started ringing in January 1971, I was 16 and scored a front row ticket for $6 to see Uriah Heep, Buddy Miles, and Deep Purple in concert at the Keil Auditorium in St. Louis and have lived with it for going on almost 40 years now and continued to build it on it for many more years. In other words I didn't know any better and obviously did not care, I hate quiet for some reason.

JBL 4645
06-08-2010, 05:37 AM
For someone that hates quiet you mean (dislike or hate)?

I don’t mind just as long its within safety human consumption limits for 8 hours enjoyment.

Rock concerts are criminal if they are not handing out free ear plugs after paying for ticket that is going to be hazardous to your hearing.

Listen to street level sound and walk around with SPL db meter its at most +90dba/c to +100dbc travelling on bus. Its odd coaches sound a lot quieter smoother for the long journey.

Clubs don’t have any treatments for acoustics so therefore the sound is reflective from the walls ceiling and floor at tasteless high SPL db peak levels that will have your ears ringing after playing Stud before a few brainless bimbos over a few lousy drinks.:barf:

I bet few night club owners would give a moments thought to room treatment acoustics to lower the shrilling high reflections. Because no one cares least the punters don’t and most have no clue as to what good sound is.

You might as well stay at home with affordable drinks and socialize, because even the night clubs still have stale cigarette sense in the air, even though its now been banned to smoke inside, it’s the smell of yuck foul alcohol that makes me.:barf:

I think drinking should also be banned because it contributes to misbalancing in the inner ear that is why one stumbles around like pillock after they close the night club.

They should only serve Cream Soda because it tastes nice and it’s even nicer with ice-cream.:beach:

Rolf
06-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I am glad there are very few people that agree with you standpoint.

Many people (my self included) like to have a smoke, a drink, a beer, and like to go to concerts. Todays harassment of smokers has gone way out of proportions. Since smoking was prohibited inside restaurants and bars, I can count on one hand how many times I have been eating a good meal or having a beer in these places. It's not the same. And now you want to ban drinking to? :blink: Do that and the "black marked" will rise 1000%. Take a look at what happened in the US when drinking was prohibited.

For someone that hates quiet you mean (dislike or hate)?

I don’t mind just as long its within safety human consumption limits for 8 hours enjoyment.

Rock concerts are criminal if they are not handing out free ear plugs after paying for ticket that is going to be hazardous to your hearing.

Listen to street level sound and walk around with SPL db meter its at most +90dba/c to +100dbc travelling on bus. Its odd coaches sound a lot quieter smoother for the long journey.

Clubs don’t have any treatments for acoustics so therefore the sound is reflective from the walls ceiling and floor at tasteless high SPL db peak levels that will have your ears ringing after playing Stud before a few brainless bimbos over a few lousy drinks.:barf:

I bet few night club owners would give a moments thought to room treatment acoustics to lower the shrilling high reflections. Because no one cares least the punters don’t and most have no clue as to what good sound is.

You might as well stay at home with affordable drinks and socialize, because even the night clubs still have stale cigarette sense in the air, even though its now been banned to smoke inside, it’s the smell of yuck foul alcohol that makes me.:barf:

I think drinking should also be banned because it contributes to misbalancing in the inner ear that is why one stumbles around like pillock after they close the night club.

They should only serve Cream Soda because it tastes nice and it’s even nicer with ice-cream.:beach:

JBL 4645
06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
I am glad there are very few people that agree with you standpoint.

Many people (my self included) like to have a smoke, a drink, a beer, and like to go to concerts. Todays harassment of smokers has gone way out of proportions. Since smoking was prohibited inside restaurants and bars, I can count on one hand how many times I have been eating a good meal or having a beer in these places. It's not the same. And now you want to ban drinking to? :blink: Do that and the "black marked" will rise 1000%. Take a look at what happened in the US when drinking was prohibited.

Yes I know the 1920’s Prohibition.

Drinking I think might be cause to hearing issues in noisy clubs pubs and PA live concerts, thou isn’t drinking normally prohibited on the site (only water or soft drinks is allowed).

I only appreciate people that drink moderately (this includes my dad) I detest alcoholics that abuse themselves, then again Coke Cola is bad drink and should also be banned, it rots your teeth!

As for the little, hissy little voice talking to me, today? It’s on the mild side at the moment.

Bournemouth Yellow Bus (423) had milder engine low end frequency noise. It’s the ones that have totally knackered engine that HUM so loud I’m sure it can cause hearing pressure issues when stepping off! It makes me feel dizzy I kidd you not.

Rolf
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I rest my case in discussion with you in this matter. Either you don't understand, or you don't want to understand. Why don't you move to a place where everything is perfect for you? Garden of Eden?

Yes I know the 1920’s Prohibition.

Drinking I think might be cause to hearing issues in noisy clubs pubs and PA live concerts, thou isn’t drinking normally prohibited on the site (only water or soft drinks is allowed).

I only appreciate people that drink moderately (this includes my dad) I detest alcoholics that abuse themselves, then again Coke Cola is bad drink and should also be banned, it rots your teeth!

As for the little, hissy little voice talking to me, today? It’s on the mild side at the moment.

Bournemouth Yellow Bus (423) had milder engine low end frequency noise. It’s the ones that have totally knackered engine that HUM so loud I’m sure it can cause hearing pressure issues when stepping off! It makes me feel dizzy I kidd you not.

JBL 4645
06-11-2010, 06:52 AM
I rest my case in discussion with you in this matter. Either you don't understand, or you don't want to understand. Why don't you move to a place where everything is perfect for you? Garden of Eden?

Rolf
Mate I’m not being funny with you. It could be that (I’m, going senile) and as of late I’ve been forgetting or almost misplacing my debt card at shops, when I’m, told “don’t forget your card, sir.”

I’m still only young and in the last several years even my friends have noticed this and pointed it out from time to time.

So you can ignore me or just hope I don’t go off on some ludicrous rant.

I’m on my 8th can of Cream Soda since Thursday and as “Merry Poppins” would say. “A spoonful of sugar” will make you hyperactive, hyperactive, hyperactive, "in the most delightful way." :D

JBL 4645
12-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Another overlooked issue I’m not sure if I mentioned this before?

Noisy crowds! Often you’d hear screaming yelling and wolf-whistling and that can lead to tinnitus if you’re within a feet of them. Or you might be doing it yourself?

My friend did wolf-whistle a few months ago around his, home and I measured on several whistles close to 120dba in fact it almost bent the needle, from 7 feet away, in the living room. It bent my ears back I had to stick my fingers over my ears while looking down at the SPL db metre on my leg. Now then!

Plenty of noisy crowds at concerts can contribute to tinnitus not the band playing some 30 or more meters away from you, unless you’re asking for it by standing too close to the stage with +100db or more bashing you’re ears is not cool.

As for my condition today its mild a whooshy like sound no different no change to what it was when I noticed it around mid 70’s.
:xmas::window:

moparfan
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
In the 80's I was at a concert at a large venue for a Heart concert and ended up next to the main stack on the side of the stage. My ears started to ring 3 songs in. By the time the concert finished, my ears rang for a week afterwards. That scared me and I kept things reasonable since then. I also hardly ever use headphones which is a good thing because I always end up blasting them at high levels.

The biggest danger I face is driving. I drive a small convertible with a loud exhaust and road noise from the tires, so at 70 mph things are pretty loud. When I turn on the radio it has to be at a pretty high level for me to hear the music or speech. Not a big deal on short trips but on longer trips, like 3+ hours or so, my ears definitely ring. I listen at a way higher level than I ever do at home even when I crank the music. When I have measured with a db meter, I'm fine with music at around 75db. I'm going to try the sound meter in my car - my guess it's way higher than that.

Asa general comment, I'm pretty sure a whole lot of the ipod/mp3 player generation is going to have big hearing loss.

Rolf
12-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Good reply. I have similar experiences, except the car noise. Instead I had a bad laud experience from the time I was in "the force" shooting with AG3, 160db when fired, and with poor ear protection. I guess this, and later concerts with to high volume, and to high volume at home got me badder hearing, and Tinnitus.

In the 80's I was at a concert at a large venue for a Heart concert and ended up next to the main stack on the side of the stage. My ears started to ring 3 songs in. By the time the concert finished, my ears rang for a week afterwards. That scared me and I kept things reasonable since then. I also hardly ever use headphones which is a good thing because I always end up blasting them at high levels.

The biggest danger I face is driving. I drive a small convertible with a loud exhaust and road noise from the tires, so at 70 mph things are pretty loud. When I turn on the radio it has to be at a pretty high level for me to hear the music or speech. Not a big deal on short trips but on longer trips, like 3+ hours or so, my ears definitely ring. I listen at a way higher level than I ever do at home even when I crank the music. When I have measured with a db meter, I'm fine with music at around 75db. I'm going to try the sound meter in my car - my guess it's way higher than that.

Asa general comment, I'm pretty sure a whole lot of the ipod/mp3 player generation is going to have big hearing loss.

JBL 4645
12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

I’d say the vehicle sound pressure would be around the 85dbc to 90dbc thou with the exhaust that you mentioned I’d say more like +90db at moderate speed limit and on those freeway roads where you can go a bit faster and the faster you drive the louder so don’t be surprised if its near or just over 100db.

I measured the level on coach ride to London last year and it was a clam 80dbc on the lower end for the 2hour trip, dba was a lot less around +60dba. I’d say you’re car would be a lot higher in the dba range. You can’t ware ear plugs as you need to be aware if there’s emergency vehicle coming up from behind you, such as, like Fire, Ambulance, or the cops.
:happyh::tree:

JBL 4645
12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Good reply. I have similar experiences, except the car noise. Instead I had a bad laud experience from the time I was in "the force" shooting with AG3, 160db when fired, and with poor ear protection. I guess this, and later concerts with to high volume, and to high volume at home got me badder hearing, and Tinnitus.

Maybe this will help then?

Gunfire Sound Levels
http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

I like reading the different SPL db ranges in the link. Guns side-arms have sharp sound, (that's why you ware ear defenders) not that Hollywood film mixing BS with wads of low end add to it, this is why cinema sound systems can’t reproduce real life sound its impossible!

The firearm that John McClane uses in Die Hard (1988) Beretta 92F wow the level it produces, no thanks if that was coming out the cinema speakers I’d be ducking for cover! That’s too damn loud!
http://www.silencerresearch.com/9mm_shootout_and_pistol_trials.htm
:happyh:
:sleigh:

4313B
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Here's a link I ran across today.

"Now we have 12-year-olds complaining of tinnitus. We never had that previously,"

Turn Off the Ringing Sound (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576017473782047928.html)

JBL 4645
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM

"Now we have 12-year-olds complaining of tinnitus. We never had that previously,"

Turn Off the Ringing Sound (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576017473782047928.html)

hissing, whooshing

Is how it sounds with me since cared to noticed it around 10 or 11 years of age in mid 70’s.

You know when you set a threshold level at high gain to keep louder sounds softer any when softer sounds come along the level rises. Its like that if I cup my hands around my ears and simulate whosohy pinky white noise sounds with my mouth, it goes away for a short few minutes, but afterwards it returns. It slowly raises up and stays at the constant in-ear level.

I have it mild this afternoon in both ears, sometimes only left or right. I didn’t have it yesterday. Anyway I’m going to get catnap because when tinnitus comes it makes me feel depressed so a few hours catnap might help, maybe.

:xmas::presents:

Rolf
12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Interesting article. I will take it to my doctor.

Thanks

mikebake
01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
First actually new thing I've seen on tinnitus.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.f57c40c34c2baca8600a698953d8204 8.1e1&show_article=1

JBL 4645
02-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Woke up with a mild hissy whooshy this, morning after a good 8 hours kip.

JBL 4645
02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I think laughing kinder takes the edge of my mild tinnitus? I don’t know what chemical laughter does but seems when I have mild tinnitus, I try and think of something funny and outrageous that makes me chuckle and laugh and within moments the hissy like sound fades away?

I kinder noticed this weeks ago but didn’t give it any thought what so ever. I try and remind myself when I hear it to think of something funny or I can just watch The Naked Gun with guaranteed laughs.

So does anyone have an explanation for this? :dont-know:

loach71
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I have a 7KHz hiss in my right ear -- probably due to my life as a helo pilot.... I do get relief by running a small fan in my bedroom -- the pseudo-random noise of the
fan seems to quiet the ear hiss. Another area to examine is ear wax accumulation. I prefer to monthly soak my ears with near body temperature almond oil. I heat some almond oil in the microwave oven until it almost matches my body temperature. Don't get it too hot! Lying down on your side, get a helper to instill a few drops of thr warm almond oil in the affected ear until the canal is full. Wait for 1/2 hour and then drain out the almond oil. Repeat the process with warmed hydrogen peroxide (3% solution, from the druggist), but allow it to stay in the ear canal for only 2 minutes. The flush GENTLY with warm water using a rubber ear syringe! This is the procedure used my M.D. (ear nose and throat specialist) -- she recommended I do it monthly. The procedure does relieve my tinnitus to a great extent, but it does not
completely cure it. Another benefit was an extension of the high end of my hearing. Before using these treatments my hearing had a severe drop-off at 12 KHz. After 5 months of these treatments my audiologist noted that the drop-off disappeared -- my hearing in both ears went out to 15.25 KHz with only a 3dB drop! She explained the improvement as being due to the removal of accumulated wax / gunk build-up on the ear drum. In short, the GENTLE and non-mechanical removal of the waxy gunk has allowed the ear drum to resonate at a much higher frequency!

WARNING NOTE -- before you try this procedure, PLEASE consult with a medical professional -- preferably a Medical Doctor who specializes in ear, nose and throat problems. This treatment works for me, but it may not be right for you.

Cheers!

Tim

JBL 4645
02-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I don’t fancy inserting a few drops of oil into my ears without consulting.

Allanvh5150
02-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Just visit you rGP and get the nurse to syringe your ears. They normaly do it for free.

Allan.

JBL 4645
02-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Just visit you rGP and get the nurse to syringe your ears. They normaly do it for free.

Allan.

Just as long as she looks like, Miss Tessmacher!:p

I wake up with mild hissy feeling this, afternoon its not that bad only, wish is they find a real cure for everyone.

Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo...

Its ringing in my ears :D
Just ringing in my ears
What a glorious feelin'
I'm miserable again
I'm down at the clouds
So dark up above
The sun's not in my heart
And I'm ready for slicing my wrists
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the ears
I've a miserable look on my face
I walk down the lane
With an unhappy refrain
Just ringing',
Ringing' in my ears.

hjames
02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Its ringing in my ears :D
Just ringing in my ears
What a glorious feelin'
I'm miserable again
I'm down at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in not in my heart
And I'm ready for slicing my wrists
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the ears
I've a miserable look on my face
I walk down the lane
With an unhappy refrain
Just ringing',
Ringing' in my ears.
:crying:
Yeah, where are YOUR Droogies, my little malchick~!

sonofagun
02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
I don’t fancy inserting a few drops of oil into my ears without consulting.

Agreed - be careful about trying to flush or clean your ears yourself - every time I tried putting some fluid (water or whatever) in my ears, I just made things worse. As I previously posted, go to a professional who can properly clean your ears. They also can visually inspect your ears innards.

JBL 4645
02-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Agreed - be careful about trying to flush or clean your ears yourself - every time I tried putting some fluid (water or whatever) in my ears, I just made things worse. As I previously posted, go to a professional who can properly clean your ears. They also can visually inspect your ears innards.

Well I need to get my hide down to the GP to have look at my left-ear I think I have psoriasis growing down the ear canal again. The last time was mid 90’s and the GP took a look at least 4 times but couldn’t find an issue. Least from where the probe was positioned as the psoriasis was cylindrical and to him it looked like a normal ear canal

I managed to extract it after a few days, after I visited the GP.

The sound of it sounded, like a leathery rubbing sound every time I crewed and on top of that I have this god-damn hissy sound in my ears.

There is only so much a GP can do. Discussion of the issue is pointless (unless I or you) went to specialist where a video probe can be placed in the ear. Then I can describe the feeling (while looking at the video) and very likely point out where it is, and then they’ll know what to about it.

Otherwise its just guess work with the GP who has 10 or 15 patients outside waiting therefore they don’t have the luxury for a thorough examination, they often refer you to hospital or an ear expect where they have the video ear inspection kit, and appointments can take weeks.

sonofagun
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
By a professional, I do mean an ear* specialist.

*ear, nose, throat - otorhinolaryngology

JBL 4645
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
By a professional, I do mean an ear* specialist.

*ear, nose, throat - otorhinolaryngology

Yeah like last year when I had blocked ears cursed by a throat allegory triggered off by hay fever.

JBL 4645
02-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Got it again this morning and what’s on my mind tell it fades away to silence…?

Toothaches now that is bitch when it hits one of us! We can take some pain relief pills for it till we hear, “is it safe” at dentist? LOL Ouuuuhhh AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! All done! That will be £$100.00 LOL

Headaches come go, I can just about tolerate a headrace without taking any tablets for it.

And then, we have our friend, Mr. Tinnitus that is on our case most days and never ever seems to go away. He comes and goes as and when he pleases.

It causes worry stress that can lead to suicide in some recoded cases and that’s just about it. We hear this sound each day (taunting us) till we lose rational control of ourselves.

I wonder does alcohol make us think its gone away when we get intoxicated as the drink affects the inner-ear that’s why we stubble around because are hearing balance is intoxicated. I never gave it any thought if it does work so that we fall into daze happy mood sleep, thou won’t be good turning up at work drunk pissed as donkey each day LOL.:D

Then again the drinking we’ll eventually lead to the downfall of ourselves so probably not a good idea. It’s just a thought.

Allanvh5150
02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Smith and Wesson works well...............