PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 14 or 19 with Naim

Joe Petrik
09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Does anyone have experience with Altec Model 14s or 19s with Naim amplification? I understand that a lot of people run older Altecs with tube electronics, but I'm curious how speakers such as the Model 14 and 19 gel with Naim, a solid state amplifier manufacturer from the UK.

The full system at the moment is a Rega P9 table with Dynavector XX-2 cartridge and P-75 phono stage, Naim CD2 CD player, Naim 102 preamp, Hi-Cap and NAPSC power supplies and a 250 power amp. Speakers are currently Royd Sorcerers, small 7-litre standmounts, the very antithesis of big Altecs.

I'm also curious about placement requirements. Do the 14s and 19s work best close to a rear wall or do they need some breathing room? My room is rather oddly proportioned -- 11 x 36 feet -- so the speakers would be close to the side walls if placed along the narrow wall.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Joe

Joe Petrik
09-16-2008, 03:51 AM
I'm guessing from the lack of replies that no has tried the 14 or 19s with Naim electronics.

How about positioning requirements? Do the 14s and 19s work best in with a lot of air around them or are they designed, like larger Klipsch for example, to work best close to the rear wall?

Best,
Joe

JBLRaiser
09-16-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm guessing from the lack of replies that no has tried the 14 or 19s with Naim electronics.

How about positioning requirements? Do the 14s and 19s work best in with a lot of air around them or are they designed, like larger Klipsch for example, to work best close to the rear wall?

Best,
Joe

16 foot wall by 20 feet with 15 foot ceilings. They are toed in 40 +/- degrees at 15 feet apart center to center and 12 inches from the wall. I would say this is a minimum dimension for me. I've tried 200 wpc dynaco 400 with 6SN7 tube pre, 60 wpc dynaco ST120 with 12ax7 PAS3 tube pre and17 wpc (el84) SCA35 dynaco integrated(12ax7) tube amps. They all sound good with tubes especially the 6SN7's. Never tried them pure SS. If bass isn't a high priority, the small tube amps really match up well with the 19's for mids/highs. And biamping is even better(SS/tube) All that said, they will sound good any where you put them other than a closet( unless it's a walkin):D

Joe Petrik
09-16-2008, 06:44 AM
JBLRaiser,

16 foot wall by 20 feet with 15 foot ceilings. They are toed in 40 +/- degrees at 15 feet apart center to center and 12 inches from the wall. I would say this is a minimum dimension for me. I've tried 200 wpc dynaco 400 with 6SN7 tube pre, 60 wpc dynaco ST120 with 12ax7 PAS3 tube pre and17 wpc (el84) SCA35 dynaco integrated(12ax7) tube amps. They all sound good with tubes especially the 6SN7's. Never tried them pure SS. If bass isn't a high priority, the small tube amps really match up well with the 19's for mids/highs. And biamping is even better(SS/tube) All that said, they will sound good any where you put them other than a closet( unless it's a walkin):D

Thanks for the reply. My room has odd dimensions -- 11 (wide) x 36 (long) x 6.5 (high) -- so it sounds like the 14s or 19s wouldn't be a good match if the Altecs need more width and height to work best.

Naim amps are tight, fast and somewhat forward, the opposite of many tube amps, so there's perhaps another wrinkle.

Given all that, does it seem likely that the 14s or 19 would be a bad match for my room and system? I'm asking because the speakers would be shipped from afar, so a trial at home beforehand isn't a possibility.

Best,
Joe

Doc Mark
09-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Morning, Joe,

I know nothing about anything, really. But, it seems to me that your 6.5 high ceiling may create some problems for you, especially with those big cabinets. I look forward to what the others have to say on it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Joe Petrik
09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Doc,

I know nothing about anything, really. But, it seems to me that your 6.5 high ceiling may create some problems for you, especially with those big cabinets. I look forward to what the others have to say on it. Take care, and God Bless!
Thanks. You may be right about the Model 19s being too big for my room, but I'm going to give the 14s a try. It's cheap enough that I won't lose my shirt if I don't like them.

I'm not much of an image placement or soundstage nut. What I value is getting the musical fundamentals right -- playing the right note (pitch accuracy) at the right intensity (proper dynamics) for the time amount of time (lack of driver overhang and cabinet resonance). Will the Model 14s deliver?

My experience with speakers has been pretty much with designs on the other side of the pond, speakers like Quad ESL 57s, Linn Saras and, currently, Royd Sorcerers, so I haven't a good sense of what Altecs excel at.

Best,
Joe

analog addict
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=220021&postcount=51http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=220021&postcount=51

The room is 12'x12' by maybe 9 or 10'. They sound great. This room actually acts as a "speaker" in it's own right with it's resonant freqs matching up with the 19's very nicely. You may find the long room acts almost like a "Bazooka" subwoofer...

Get the 19's if you can afford them. Do everything the 14's can, only better....:bouncy:

(http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=220021&postcount=51)

Joe Petrik
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM
analog addict,

The room is 12'x12' by maybe 9 or 10'. They sound great. This room actually acts as a "speaker" in it's own right with it's resonant freqs matching up with the 19's very nicely. You may find the long room acts almost like a "Bazooka" subwoofer...

Get the 19's if you can afford them. Do everything the 14's can, only better....:bouncy:
Unfortunately, the 19s are out of my price range (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Altec-Model-19-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers_W0QQitemZ380058580305QQihZ025QQcatego ryZ50597QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_tr ksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247), but they're still available if anyone here is interested. The seller is based in Saskatchewan, Canada but he will ship them elsewhere.

I'm going to have a listen to the Model 14s on the weekend. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Best,
Joe

Doc Mark
09-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Hello, Joe,

For what it's worth, I had a friend, who has now passed away, that used to love his Model 14's! He also had the bits for making a pair of Model 19's, including original Altec 19 cabinets, but kept those in his garage as an unfinished project. He was so happy with the 14's, that he really did lose interest in finishing the 19's. So, that's one person who chose the smaller Altecs, and was quite satisfied with them. Good luck on your choice, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

John
09-18-2008, 05:21 PM
analog addict,

Unfortunately, the 19s are out of my price range (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Altec-Model-19-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers_W0QQitemZ380058580305QQihZ025QQcatego ryZ50597QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_tr ksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247), but they're still available if anyone here is interested. The seller is based in Saskatchewan, Canada but he will ship them elsewhere.

I'm going to have a listen to the Model 14s on the weekend. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Best,
Joe

That seller is going for gold but if you keep your eyes open I am sure you can find something local between $700-1200 ,just not on ebay. I have never heard model 14's but people that I know that have heard the 19's and 14's say the 14's sound very much the same but cannot reach the same output levels as the 19.:blah:

rblankster
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I have 4 model 19s that I've owned since the late '70s. I now use them for my home theater system. I am planning on selling them in the near future since I need something with a smaller footprint. I also have a pair of spare crossovers