PDA

View Full Version : Strange "new" 2404H iteration?

johnaec
09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I know the 2404H Baby-Cheeks horns have been discontinued, but I still wanted to pick up a pair of the regular 2404H baby-cheeks with the foilcals and original dias, assuming they'd still have the original diaphragms, and not the 2402 dias they put in the 2404H-1 (no foilcal) series.

It just so happened that a company had just put up some of them on eBay at $100 BIN, so I picked up a pair. They arrived in fine shape, and actually appear to be almost unused: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280261176433&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Here's where it gets strange. I don't know if this was from some kind of final run of the 2404's or something, but the design and manufacture of some of the parts is substantially different from earlier versions. I'll post some pics to show.

The first pic shows a gap where the horn part is screwed onto the base - the new base is shorter, (old version is on right side). It's also made out of plastic instead of the original metal versions, and you can see the threaded screws going up through the now plastic base to the horn itself. I'm wondering if the shorter base piece allows them to use it in the other horn versions? The horn itself comes to rest at the same position as original - the geometry's not changed, only the mounting.

The second pic shows this again, and also repositioning of mounting holes and a switch to hex head screws.

The 3rd pic is looking underneath at one of the original horns, showing the brass inserts for screwing the pieces together - the new horns no longer have the inserts.

The 4th pic just shows little foam inserts for shipping protection - I wonder if JBL does this? Like I said - these seem almost new.

I know JBL has supposedly phased out manufacture of these, but I wonder if they had to put a run of something together for parts - everyone knows how those baby-cheek mounts like to crack...

Anyway, they definitely scope out just fine - I'm just wondering if anyone ever came across this version in the normal JBL "updating" of features...

John