PDA

View Full Version : Retune the 4518?

Doc Mark
09-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Morning, All,

I have a question regarding the 4518 cabinet that I won this morning. It's tuned to 30HZ. The 4645C cabinet is tuned to 25HZ. Would retuning the 4518 to 25HZ offer me any real performance gains, using the 2242HPL driver, or will any gains be so small as to be inconsequential? Once I have this enclosure in my hands, I'll be using it as a subwoofer for the 4333 project, and may even augment our L300's with it, electronically crossed over at around 100HZ. Any thoughts, or comments, will be much appreciated! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey, Friends,

I checked the tuning of that 4518 cabinet, with the 2242HPL, on Linear Team, and though there IS a difference in performance between the 25HZ and 30HZ tuning, it's not huge. I would guess that my own ear will have to be the deciding factor, in the end. I could lengthen the ports of the 30 HZ tuning, and see how it sounds. Do you think about 2" more length per port should do the trick in that 8 cubic foot enclosure? Thanks, again, for any comments, or suggestions. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Good Morning, Friends,

Well, sad news, this morning. :( After trying every conceivable way to get that 4518 cabinet down from Portland, to my place, I've finally given up on trying to make it happen. The seller, who has been VERY helpful, patient, and accomodating in all this, has kindly offered me a refund, which I have, regretfully, agreed to accept. The lesson learned in all this, is NOT to over-reach your bounds, even when you find something that is nice, neat, and worth having, IF you do not have the means or the wherewithal to complete the transaction. So, back to the drawing board, as far as a cabinet for my 2242HPL goes....... For the money spent, I'll probably end up just making one for myself, and calling it good. Thanks for reading, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc