PDA

View Full Version : ALTEC LANSING releases the Daleks!

hjames
09-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I know its a leap from the VOTT or Model 19s, but I just saw a press release on Engadget that had images of the new Altec Lansing Expression speakers ...

To quote Engadget:

"The most stand-out, by far, are the Expressionist Bass speakers pictured above, which are a full ten inches high and include built-in 4-inch subwoofers and two 1.5-inch drivers apiece. Look for them to set you back $130 when they're released next month in both black and white versions"

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/altec-lansing-rolls-out-new-look-speakers-aplenty/

"EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Maron Horonzakz
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Exterminate !!! Exterminate!!!!:biting:

jblsound
09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Current Altec Lansing speakers are in name only. Not the same company of old.

hjames
09-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Current Altec Lansing speakers are in name only. Not the same company of old.

REALLY!!:applaud:

OMG

LOL

I'm surely not promoting the company who currently owns the Altec Lansing name -
I posted this because I thought it was a profoundly UGLY design and NOT WORTHY
of such a once-fine name. (isn't it obvious they are just computer and iPod speakers?)

I also thought that designing a speaker to look like the DALEKs from Doctor Who was a pretty stupid idea as well.

I really didn't think ANYONE would take my original post seriously.

I kinda thought "Exterminate, Exterminate" said it all, or was that too subtle (?????????)

jblsound
09-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't see that members of this site should help along some second rate company, just because they bought the rights to use the Altec name. The the majority of the buying public doesn't know that.
It would be like Infinity or JBL closing their doors and and Bose buying the rights to use those names, to produce even more less than quality speakers. So even more of the unlearned public can be brainwashed into buying inferior speakers.

hjames
09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't see that members of this site should help along some second rate company, just because they bought the rights to use the Altec name. The the majority of the buying public doesn't know that.
It would be like Infinity or JBL closing their doors and and Bose buying the rights to use those names, to produce even more less than quality speakers. So even more of the unlearned public can be brainwashed into buying inferior speakers.

C'mon - even JBL makes cheap gear for computers and iPods, and they also make stuff that sells at BestBuy/CircuitCity retailers, plus even better higher end stuff, and all the way to the $60k a pair Everest ...

Its not all good all the time, ok?

jblsound
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't care if a company builds cheap gear. But I consider a company to be second rate if they feel they have to use another company's name to sell their gear, instead of their own.
And it is unfortunate that JBL was sold in BB, as BB only sold the cheapest series. I've crossed paths with many people in their 20's, who thought JBL only made cheap, bottom rung speakers, because that's all they saw in BB.
30 years ago, walk into a HiFi shop that sold JBL and they might have a 1/2 dozen, or more, different JBL series, from cheap to quite expensive.
And with that thought in mind, where will the LS series turn up? Curious minds want to know.:bouncy:

hjames
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't care if a company builds cheap gear. But I consider a company to be second rate if they feel they have to use another company's name to sell their gear, instead of their own.
And it is unfortunate that JBL was sold in BB, as BB only sold the cheapest series. I've crossed paths with many people in their 20's, who thought JBL only made cheap, bottom rung speakers, because that's all they saw in BB.
30 years ago, walk into a HiFi shop that sold JBL and they might have a 1/2 dozen, or more, different JBL series, from cheap to quite expensive.
And with that thought in mind, where will the LS series turn up? Curious minds want to know.:bouncy:

preachin to the choir here ... when I was in college in the early 70s, WUSC radio used Tiger 01 amps and 4310s in their studios. I heard the sound and fell in love. So when I got out of college, I bought L36s, and had them until I bought the bigger stuff years later.

Back in the day, the L36 and L100s were JBLs mainstream Best Buy type speakers, so to speak ...

But you or me moaning over the cheeseball Altecs of today won't stop them makin' them or sellin' them - all we can do is keep the good stuff in circulation and in use, eh?

JBL 4645
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Exterminate !!! Exterminate!!!!:biting:

We are the Altec’s Exterminate! Exterminate! :D Oh nice one Heather.
So are they planning world domination of the market place?

jblsound
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Back in the day, the L36 and L100s were JBLs mainstream Best Buy type speakers, so to speak ...
Back in the ealy '70's, when I was just an apprentice, I could afford the L55, but really wanted the L65. I think the difference was around $75 more per speaker. That sounds like chicken feed now, but I couldn't go the other $150 for a pair of L65s. Still got the L55s though.

I don't remember what the cheapest JBLs were back then. I know the L100s were cheaper than the L55s. I think the L100 was $198/ea and the L55 was $276/ea, and I think the L65 was $350/ea, although the Jubals were more.

JBLRaiser
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Lmao

SEAWOLF97
09-11-2008, 04:05 PM

OK

Marantz brand name has been used by many companies...Currently Marantz CAN BE pretty good gear. Just makes things confusing when buying used.

to me BB is same same as CC....and I remember L7's in their showroom.

Back in the ealy '70's, when I was just an apprentice, I could afford the L55, but really wanted the L65. I think the difference was around $75 more per speaker. That sounds like chicken feed now, but I couldn't go the other $150 for a pair of L65s. Still got the L55s though.

I don't remember what the cheapest JBLs were back then. I know the L100s were cheaper than the L55s. I think the L100 was $198/ea and the L55 was $276/ea, and I think the L65 was $350/ea, although the Jubals were more.

1973 ad
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=121533&postcount=6

shows L55 is a massive $3 (three) dollars more than the L-100's.

jblsound
09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
OK
1973 ad
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=121533&postcount=6

shows L55 is a massive $3 (three) dollars more than the L-100's.

The L100 was less than $200, that ad shows the Century L100 @ $273.
of all the JBL speakers of the '70's, the L55 was manufactured the longest, from '71 ~ '81. Although there was L55A, which was a 3-way, but only lasted two years.
I just counted a total of 6 different L100 models. But the only one I remember seeing was the first L100. Counting all the models of the L100 it was sold from the '70's ~ early '90's

hjames
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I got my L36s back in 1976 - $200 each (I was stingy).
A friend got L100s at the same time - I remember it as $300 each, but- it might have been $273 ...

of all the JBL speakers of the '70's, the L55 was manufactured the longest, from '71 ~ '81. Although there was L55A, which was a 3-way, but only lasted two years.
I just counted a total of 6 different L100 models. But the only one I remember seeing was the first L100. Counting all the models of the L100 it was sold from the '70's ~ early '90's

Audiobeer
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm sure the Jubals and the L65s were the same price as they basicaly were the same speakers.

SEAWOLF97
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Not sure where you are getting info..at odds with bb :blink:

audio blue book shows L100 sold from 71-78 at a final list of $980/pr
L55 from 73-74 with a retail of $552/pr

the L55 was manufactured the longest, from '71 ~ '81.

I thought it interesting that the L65, which was a huge seller, came from the L55 which was a brief blip in history. I think that sexy looking 077 was likely a large part of it's success.
Widget

seems a difference of opinion on manf. dates on L55 ??

jblsound
09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Not sure where you are getting info..at odds with bb :blink:

audio blue book shows L100 sold from 71-78 at a final list of $980/pr
L55 from 73-74 with a retail of $552/pr
I paid $276/ea for my L55s, bought in '73, which would be that $552/pr

In recent times, I've seen old ads or price sheets showing different prices for the L100 and L65. And somewhere I'm sure I saw a price of $198 for the L100. I assume when they first came out. I know the Century and the Ti models were much more.

The same with the L212, when I bought them ('79) the price was $2000. But I've seen price list since that showed them at $2250, at a later time.

JBL 4645
09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
That link Heather it sounds dodgy because I can hear strange sounds on the hard-drive isn’t there a legitimate link to Altec I mean I can’t find anything useful on the Altec Lansing UK site page.
http://www.alteclansing.co.uk/ (http://www.alteclansing.co.uk/)

hjames
09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/a...akers-aplenty/ (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/altec-lansing-rolls-out-new-look-speakers-aplenty/)

That link Heather it sounds dodgy because I can hear strange sounds on the hard-drive isn’t there a legitimate link to Altec I mean I can’t find anything useful on the Altec Lansing UK site page.

I don't know why your hard drive is shuffling - browser cache maybe?? Pretty normal stuff that.

Ok - quick lesson in the web -
I went to GOOGLE,
I typed in ALTEC LANSING,
10 seconds later I had a page of links,
and the first link was - ALTEC LANSING US Headquarters ...

http://www.alteclansing.com/
That whole process took maybe 30 seconds to find them ...
Wonder of wonder, they have that ALTEC DALEK right on the FRONT PAGE
(c'mon, do the snoopy dance for us now!!)

But NO, that first link to Engadget is JUST FINE, I went there from work on a PC, went there from here on a MAC, any problems you have are within YOUR GEAR.
maybe its all the dumbo pictures you have loading on every page you build

(Tip - Logan's Run was a REALLY stupid film, even dumber as a TV show)
I like Michael York but that was NOT his finest hour and a half...

JBL 4645
09-11-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/a...akers-aplenty/ (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/10/altec-lansing-rolls-out-new-look-speakers-aplenty/)

I don't know why your hard drive is shuffling - browser cache maybe?? Pretty normal stuff that.

Ok - quick lesson in the web -
I went to GOOGLE,
I typed in ALTEC LANSING,
10 seconds later I had a page of links,
and the first link was - ALTEC LANSING US Headquarters ...

http://www.alteclansing.com/
That whole process took maybe 30 seconds to find them ...
Wonder of wonder, they have that ALTEC DALEK right on the FRONT PAGE
(c'mon, do the snoopy dance for us now!!)

But NO, that first link to Engadget is JUST FINE, I went there from work on a PC, went there from here on a MAC, any problems you have are within YOUR GEAR.
maybe its all the dumbo pictures you have loading on every page you build

(Tip - Logan's Run was a REALLY stupid film, even dumber as a TV show)
I like Michael York but that was NOT his finest hour and a half...

Oh, I see okay its I just start getting paranoid when I hear that sound because it leaves (two double clicks on the page) and that makes me feel very uncomfortable. Otherwise I can’t find a decent enough link I tried Google image and the Altec FX3022 there not showing up as of yet?

Oh, come on now you’re just having a little poke at the signature, because it looks cool.

Tell you what I’ll have milk chocolate McVitties biscuit, yummy.

I can’t be asked to finish this.:D

Gary L
09-12-2008, 06:09 AM
GEE! If I needed computer speakers to play my Ipod or MP3s here at the office desk I might consider something from the current Altec lansing technologies. Probably as good as any of the other desk tops out there.

I have seen nor heard nothing from todays A.L.T. worthy of HiFi home use and have to agree with the OP regarding down right Butt Ugly design that many might find rather appealing. Go Figure!:barf:

Simply saying you run JBL or Altecs at home means nothing until you state the actual name or model designation, both named companies have fed from the bottom and have their fair share of garbage.

Gary

hjames
09-12-2008, 06:31 AM
BINGO! Thank you, discerning soul, for your straightforward feedback!

Yet another badged plastic speaker for your desktop amusement - nothing more! And my only real point of the original post

Ah, how the mighty have fallen, sold the brand off and the new "owner" is reduced to making cheap looking knock off Dalek shaped speakers and hoping to grab some amused purchasers.

Bears no connection to the beloved classic speakers of the past.

GEE! If I needed computer speakers to play my Ipod or MP3s here at the office desk I might consider something from the current Altec lansing technologies. Probably as good as any of the other desk tops out there.

I have seen nor heard nothing from todays A.L.T. worthy of HiFi home use and have to agree with the OP regarding down right Butt Ugly design that many might find rather appealing. Go Figure!:barf:

Gary

SEAWOLF97
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Gary

I went thru a lot of computer speakers with no joy until I found the "MicroSoft Sound System" ... Now I like MS as much as most (very little), but this sat/sub system made by Philips really rocks ..it can be run analog thru the sound card like all others OR digital from a USB port ..volume and tone controls on one sat..it just plays louder and louder w/o distortion . A special little system thats no longer made , if you see one used don't hesitate to pick it up..

On the main PC tho is a Technics class H receiver under the monitor running L26's and a/d/s sats ...sounds even better.:D

JBL 4645
09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Same above^^^ I just use the phone jack from the computer to RCA plug into the AUX on the AVR and just listen that way on the JBL.

Tom Brennan
09-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I think they look cool. They'd look even cooler if they were 4' high, had a 15" woofer on the bottom and that round gizmo was a potato-masher and compression driver.

Russellc
09-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Its called "good will"....its a value that a company builds through loyal customers and treating them right. Unfortunately, it is also a commodity, and can be bought and sold, and it was. Get over it.

Russellc

hjames
09-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Sheesh guys, its was meant for a smile and a chuckle, certainly nothing more.
A chuckle, surely you remember what a SMILE is, right? :applaud:

I was not filling space here with Advertising for Altec, past or present, I don't own any Altecs, and have never been paid by Altec.

Some of you REALLY need to get over your self-righteous selves, hey!