PDA

View Full Version : L212's and Ultrabass units

rdgrimes
09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Just picked up a set of L212's with one Ultrabass unit. The seller also has another Ultrabass unit, should I get that too? Is there any real reason to want 2? And, is there a preferred way for running one Ultrabass with each satellite?

Doc Mark
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=rdgrimes;220430]Just picked up a set of L212's with one Ultrabass unit. The seller also has another Ultrabass unit, should I get that too? Is there any real reason to want 2? And, is th

Hey, rdgrimes,

I was looking at that offer, too, though I had no plans to jump into the fray. Well done in scoring that setup! I remember being mightily impressed, back when I first heard one of them, and amazed that so much nice bass reproduction could come from one 12" woofer! As to the second bass unit, I note that the seller mentioned a small problem with it, when played at higher volumes. If you can get it inexpensively enough, I'd go for it, but be prepared to have to mess with it a bit, if that problem manifests itself when you get it. Again, congrats on getting what I have always thought was a very nice system! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
09-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I expect to have to mess around with all this old stuff, that's part of the appeal and usually not as greasy as old cars.

Yeah, they report a "rattle" with the second Ultrabass, which could be a simple as the glass plate on top.

I guess I really am wondering if this "sub" has enough poop, and whether other L212 lovers think 2 subs is better.

I may want to replace one of the 112A drivers cause it has an aftermarket cone, so if anyone has a good one, let me know.

Robh3606
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
"I guess I really am wondering if this "sub" has enough poop, and whether other L212 lovers think 2 subs is better."

If I were you I would grab it. I have used a pair of those woofers in sealed boxes and IMHO you really need the pair because of the low efficiency and comparatively low X-max compared to newer drivers. They sound damn nice in there comfort range!

I may want to replace one of the 112A drivers cause it has an aftermarket cone, so if anyone has a good one, let me know.

Can you post a picture if it's smooth it may not be an aftermarket cone. This is a picture of a recent OEM JBL recone.

Rob:)

rdgrimes
09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Can you post a picture if it's smooth it may not be an aftermarket cone. This is a picture of a recent OEM JBL recone.

Rob:)

It's not so much what it is, I just don't like it being different.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/0a/03/e1ed_3.JPG

John
09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I expect to have to mess around with all this old stuff, that's part of the appeal and usually not as greasy as old cars.

Yeah, they report a "rattle" with the second Ultrabass, which could be a simple as the glass plate on top.

I guess I really am wondering if this "sub" has enough poop, and whether other L212 lovers think 2 subs is better.

If that recone is jbl issue you will have to recone the other one with the origanal cone to the new replacement. The old style with ribs is NLA.:(

4313B
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
The seller also has another Ultrabass unit, should I get that too?Yes.
Is there any real reason to want 2?Absolutely, two work better than one.

sweetliberty
09-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Yes.Absolutely, two work better than one.

Congratulations on your purchase - great speakers.
I love my L212's - sweet sound, with trademark JBL dynamics.
The sub produces better bass than any other JBL I've owned - very extended and punchy.
I don't need or want a second sub. One provides more than eneogh to shake my house.
BTW look at replacing the caps (probably original) - made a difference with mine. Bypassing or CC I am told is better still.

johnaec
09-10-2008, 04:07 AM
I'd definitely get the second sub while you have the chance, as long as the deal is good...

John

hjames
09-10-2008, 05:02 AM
There have been JBL white papers that explain that subs work better in groups of 2, preferably midway down the wall instead of in corners.

Besides, if its an out of production unit thats part of a 3-way system, it certainly helps any potential resale value to have a spare!

rdgrimes
09-10-2008, 05:44 AM
If that recone is jbl issue you will have to recone the other one with the origanal cone to the new replacement. The old style with ribs is NLA.:(
I was intending to get a used original 112A and keep the re-coned one as a spare.

Sounds like the 2 subs vs one decision boils down to personal preference. Not really needed but does improve performance.

Regis
09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I was intending to get a used original 112A and keep the re-coned one as a spare.

Sounds like the 2 subs vs one decision boils down to personal preference. Not really needed but does improve performance.

True, it is a personal preference, but it's better as 4313B states, to run two for obvious reasons. The source material often has the LF in stereo and the advantage over mono is clear. I'm running two subs with my 4315's and though I'd probably only need one, the two sure work well!

rdgrimes
09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I got these L212's set up today. they are really sweet, and sound about like I expected. though they sound better at low volumes than most of the related JBL models do. I didn't get the second Ultrabass unit, it sold WAY too high. This one is a bit stiff with new foam, but seems to do pretty well for music with the gain turned up to about 75%. Not up to par for LFE though.

I'll be wanting an original 112A/H to replace the one that's been re-coned.

Doc Mark
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I got these L212's set up today. they are really sweet, and sound about like I expected. though they sound better at low volumes than most of the related JBL models do. I didn't get the second Ultrabass unit, it sold WAY too high. This one is a bit stiff with new foam, but seems to do pretty well for music with the gain turned up to about 75%. Not up to par for LFE though.

I'll be wanting an original 112A/H to replace the one that's been re-coned.

Hey, Old JBL Fart,

Congratulations on your new JBL's!! I heard that system when it first came out, and was mightily impressed by it! Maybe another sub unit will come along. But, in the meantime, you're all set to go, and isn't it SWEET!!??!! Have fun, take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

jblsound
09-24-2008, 02:54 PM
It's not so much what it is, I just don't like it being different.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/0a/03/e1ed_3.JPG
That smooth cone is a JBL cone, its the same as two pair of 112As I had done at OCS, but as with the old ribbed cones, they're NLA, from what ai was told.

jblsound
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I took a look at the set I bought 4 years ago. Pulled off the grilles and in those 4 years the 1/4" foam that JBL added at some point in time during the production run, had all but totally gone to hell.
I picked up a small roll of 1/4" open cell and cut out pieces for all 7 L212s, including my mirror imaged pair. Have been listening to that pair and the foam does change the sound a bit, but as yet, can't describe how its different.
I understand JBL's reason for adding the foam to the upper grille cutout, to change from an IB for the 066 to a point source, to provide a better soundstage. Or so I would think.
Of coarse the mirror imaged pair had a better soundstage than the originals anyway.

jblsound
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I think I know the difference I hear in the sound, with the foam around the tweeters. Its a more controled dispersion of the highs, probably creating less defractions caused by the edges of the baffle.
I would think if I replaced the 066 tweeter with a newer Ti in a EOS guide the results would be somewhat similar. Although, I think the foam makes them also a bit less bright.