PDA

View Full Version : Repairing ALTEC Mantaray LZT UHF Tweeters

Woofer
09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know anything about the ALTEC Mantaray LZT UHF Tweeters?
If they have a Model Number, then sorry, I don't know it. :o:
They seem to be a most elusive item from the many searches I've made. :banghead:
From what I've gathered, they were available with the ALTEC Model 4, 6 and 8 Home speakers.
They were also available on the ALTEC 1217A Column Speakers with 6x Model 403A 8" speakers per box.
I think they're a Piezo Driver which were manufactured by Motorola.
So, for one of my questions, in view that this item is no longer manufactured, would I be safe in assuming that using the internals from a Motorola Piezo could be a 'safe' alternative to try and restore this unit? (.... the ALTEC LZT). :blink:
As for my next question, I've also seen reference to the fact the LZT uses some sort of special bandpass filter included in the original crossover, so does anyone out there have a schematic to either the Model 4, or 6, or 8, or even the 1217A crossovers please? :)

Thanx.... ;)

Robh3606
09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
You have any pictures?? I thought you needed a different crossover with all piezo's high value resistors come to mind but??

Here's the DQ-10 schematic it has a 35 ohm in series and a 30 shunt. I think it uses a Motorola piezo.

Rob:)

Woofer
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry, here's a pic of the items in question.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8035/altecmantaraytweeterswr2.jpg

.... and thankyou Robh3606 for that.

Robh3606
09-07-2008, 02:45 PM
So it has a mini Tangerine Phase plug and a Manta Ray horn! I have never seen one of those before. I hope you can just replace the element.

Woofer
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
So it has a mini Tangerine Phase plug and a Manta Ray horn! I have never seen one of those before. I hope you can just replace the element.

Yes Rob, so do I..... :bouncy:
I should have some old Motorolas lying around somewhere.
As soon as I find one, an autopsy should reveal all. :blink:

George. :)

Woofer
03-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I'd forgotten all about this, and I just stumbled upon them again after being squirrelled away all this time.

So the question remains, but slightly altered....

Does anyone know where I can find a diaphragm for this or what other product (not necessarily an ALTEC) I can substitute for it please?

Cheers all.... :)