PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say "HI"!

jhal
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I have been a long time lurker, but recently joined after acquiring some semi-vintage JBL's speakers. I have in my possession a pair of XPL-200A's that I am very happy with. They have been my "grail" speakers since 1992, and I keep pinching myself. I got a good deal on them, though they need a little work. I have been doing a lot of research here, reading previous posts about them, and I am almost there.:blah:

Anyway, I look forward to posting and gaining a lot of knowledge about JBL speakers and related gear.

Here's a pic, they are biamped with Yamaha amps, a Pc-2602 running the lows, and an M-4 on the highs. Currently using a DBX crossover, but I am waiting on an Ashly to arrive, after hearing good things about it on this forum. Of course, a DX-1 is the correct unit for them, but we all know how rare they are. The sub under the TV is no longer used since getting these. I have since removed it.

Happy listening!

Titanium Dome
09-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi jhal. Welcome into the light and congrats on your XPL200As. They're very nice speakers.

Did you decide to augment them with a pair of subs? Are those two Emminent-Tech models on top?

http://www.eminent-tech.com/RWbrochure.htm

Titanium Dome
09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
They look like vintage models. Here's the current one:

Titanium Dome
09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
You know I'm pulling your leg, right? THose XPLs will do just fine in your room as is. :D

jhal
09-08-2008, 05:17 PM
You had me going there for a minute. I'm like, "subs??? what subs?" :p

Don't need one with around 330 watts on each woofer. I'm not sure of my exact system wattage since the XPL's are 6 ohms, but I guesstimate the system's close to 1000 watts RMS total.:) My ears give out before the amps or speakers do! I can make a band appear in my room, and it is sonic bliss to me. I finally have my dream speakers!

The mid dome on the right speaker has been damaged (was that way when I bought them) and I have a replacement on the way. This is causing vocals and other sounds in that frequency range to be offset to the left speaker, since the damaged driver isn't putting out equal sound. I found the correct 093 mid, in excellent shape, on Ebay, and it should be here tomorrow.:applaud:As most XPL owners know, parts for these are as rare as hen's teeth.

Titanium Dome
09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
You had me going there for a minute. I'm like, "subs??? what subs?" :p

Don't need one with around 330 watts on each woofer. I'm not sure of my exact system wattage since the XPL's are 6 ohms, but I guesstimate the system's close to 1000 watts RMS total.:) My ears give out before the amps or speakers do! I can make a band appear in my room, and it is sonic bliss to me. I finally have my dream speakers!

The mid dome on the right speaker has been damaged (was that way when I bought them) and I have a replacement on the way. This is causing vocals and other sounds in that frequency range to be offset to the left speaker, since the damaged driver isn't putting out equal sound. I found the correct 093 mid, in excellent shape, on Ebay, and it should be here tomorrow.:applaud:As most XPL owners know, parts for these are as rare as hen's teeth.

Yes, that's a beautiful midrange driver, and it sings sweetly when in good shape and fed well.

Did you see my DIY restoration thread on my XPL200s?

jhal
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, that's a beautiful midrange driver, and it sings sweetly when in good shape and fed well.

Did you see my DIY restoration thread on my XPL200s?

Yes, I read your entire thread, and it gave me a wealth of information about my XPL's. Thank you for sharing it with us!

My 093ti arrived today, and it was packed very well. It is now installed, and the system is now balance and singing beautifully. Here's a pic of how the mid was packed. I wish everyone on Ebay was this careful.