PDA

View Full Version : D131 on c34 vs newer model full range on tqwt

c3conv
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Can anybody help me decide whether to fabricate a c34 horn box using D131 drivers is a better alternative (sound and imaging wise) than go for a new fostex say 167 with a tqwt box?

speakerdave
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
You probably should seek out the full range guys for an answer to this question.

The D131 is one of my favorite drivers (see my avatar), but I've never quite understood the reason for its existence. It was supposedly meant to give nearly identical performance to the D130 in situations where there simply was not enough space for the enclosure size the D130 required, but in JBL literature the enclosure sizes recommended for the two drivers are mostly the same. For full range, the D131 would give more treble than the D130, but still not very good. That aside, it is a multo dynamic, articulate driver, although its frequency response is far from linear. (See the FR of the 2130 here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2130.htm). It and its successors (D120, 2130 and E120) have found use mostly in musical instrument amplification. I don't think it is a great candidate for full range hi fi, although it would definitely be fun to listen to for awhile. Maybe Jim Lansing was experimenting with some hotrodding. The D131 uses the same motor for a 12" cone as the D130 uses for a 15", so it is like dropping a big Lincoln flathead V8 into a Ford chassis.

I have not used the Fostex 167 myself, but I did study up on full range stuff at one point, and I think with that driver in a quarter wave transformer you would get lower bass, more linear response, less beaming, greater extension into the treble and possibly less distortion. It would be less efficient, less dynamic and have lower potential spl.

As for imaging, don't full range drivers basically all image very well? I don't know what would make a full range driver image poorly, unless it would be poor performance in the treble.

David

c3conv
09-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Assuiming I add a high frequency (I got a spare one but I don't know if it will match) to complement the C34 box would that still be out of the league of fostex?
If you were me what will you do with a D131?
By the way thank you for responding.

speakerdave
09-03-2008, 08:07 AM
What do you have, a pair of them full range in C34's?

I should tell you, I have a pair of them here, and I can't figure out what to do with mine!

c3conv
09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
LOL, give the drivers as gift this Christmas? Or learn some fancy guitar playing then use them in some guitar amp. LOL

speakerdave
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
. . . . learn some fancy guitar playing then use them in some guitar amp . . . .

This is probably the right idea.

Beowulf57
09-06-2008, 05:49 AM
What do you have, a pair of them full range in C34's?

I should tell you, I have a pair of them here, and I can't figure out what to do with mine!

I've used a D131 in one of my Folded corner horns for years (now with LE85 up top) and it sounds great! Even used full range it was quite listenable. Very sensitive, dynamic driver...try it with low powered tube amps.

Speakerdave: do you still have those 2312/HL92 horns? I'm trying to acquire a pair right now, but if it doesn't pan out, I might be interested in yours.

speakerdave
09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
. . . . Speakerdave: do you still have those 2312/HL92 horns? . . . .

Yes.

Beowulf57
09-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes.

Cool...so if I'm interested, how do I reach you? I tried a couple of PMs this summer, but somehow could not get through.

speakerdave
09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Cool...so if I'm interested, how do I reach you? I tried a couple of PMs this summer, but somehow could not get through.

PM should work now.

Beowulf57
09-06-2008, 01:23 PM
PM should work now.

Thanks...more anon.