PDA

View Full Version : theoretical questions-home theater options

bone215
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I have 2 4412a studio monitors that I was able to score very cheap. I like them.
Question 1, Just how good a system could be had by using 7 for a home theater surround system?
Question 2, Compared to either a system composed of the lsr4328s or the lsr6328s would either of these combos equal or exceed the capabilities of the 4412a system?
I consider clarity, wide frequency range, and low distortion along with sounding good to be the priorities.
I am not sure if the info provided above is enough but I am sure I would appreciate the comments of those of you with more knowledge and familiarity with the speakers.
Thank you.

Mr. Widget
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Question 1, Just how good a system could be had by using 7 for a home theater surround system?For Home Theater get one more and any decent speaker for the surrounds. For a surround music system, you should get 3 more of them. (Surround music is mixed in 5.1... are there any 7.1 music mixes? If so, there shouldn't be. :D)

In either case, don't skimp on the subwoofer(s).

Widget

rdgrimes
09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
There's really no substitute for 5 identical speakers with equal power in a surround system. That said, if you stay with speakers that have identical tweeters and mid-range drivers, you tend to come out alright. A lot depends on using a good AVR with detailed setup options. And I'd use a couple good subs with those too, keeping the 4412a's crossed over at 80Hz.

A properly calibrated system can handle most surround tasks very well, it doesn't take hugely expensive speakers to do the job. Music is another thing altogether. I think most people would enjoy 5:1 4412A's, assuming they're being fed enough juice.

Mr. Widget
09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
There's really no substitute for 5 identical speakers with equal power in a surround system.For a surround music system I agree.

For a home theater system I disagree. I disagree both from my own experience in my HT and based on my experience in real theaters using systems like these:

Mr. Widget
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
For high end HT there is little out there that is higher end than the Synthesis Everest: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-EVEREST&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

It uses three identical speakers up front and different systems for the surrounds. They do share the same tweeter, but other than that, the mids and woofers are all quite different.

Widget

bone215
09-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replys to question 1. Have any of you guys heard the powered lsr speakers and how would they compare to the 4412a's?
Thanks.

Mr. Widget
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
You know, it is so subjective and your room and equipment play an important roll too. Unless you are simply not happy with the 4412As, I'd be looking for another one or a pair of them so that you could have three across the front.

Widget

bone215
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Widget,
Subjective yes, however, I have not yet had the opportunity to hear either of the powered monitors. From what I have read, technologically, they are more advanced. I don't want to assume that the technology automatically equates with better sound, however, the wave guides may reduce some of the reflective effects of the room, the built in amps and control of the drivers may be more effective, and, the opinions of some one like you or others who may have heard all three, would be of value to me in my collection of opinions and data.
I don't think it without merit that I attach more significance to 'learned' opinion as opposed to just any one who can post in a forum, so please if you have listened to the lsr series, your opinions would be welcome.
I promise to take them with a grain of salt.
Thanks.

robertbartsch
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
OK so I have been working on a HT 7.1 system that includes:

Mains: 2 15" 3-way JBLs with compression drivers, slots
Center: 1 Altec compression driver and a 3.5 inch mids w/cones
Rear: JBL 12: 3-way w/cones
Surrounds: 2 JBL 4311s 3-ways
Sub: 18" JBL, 500 watt power

Currently, the system is being driven by 2,000 watts into 7 channels.

From my experience, the studio engeneer mixes for 5.1, 7.1 sound material (movies, DVDs, Cable) is poor at this point in time. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

You could build a nice system with seven speakers of the JBL 4311 type with good results. Since 80% of the program material is directed into the front and center channels, however, the need to have similar speakers for all channels may be examinied and challenged.

Best wishes with your experiments...

Mr. Widget
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Widget,
Subjective yes, however...Are you trying to get into this thing on the cheap or are you after something more? My feeling is that the difference between three LSRs and three 4412s isn't as great as the cost differential. The LSRs are better... the 4412s are very, very inexpensive for what they are... they will also mate with a sub at a lower frequency... this means a sub of lower quality and cost is a viable option. (I don't mean junk, but a sub that is really awesome at 80-100Hz is more costly than one that simple does subterranean duty well.)

If I was doing a really top flight room, I'd seriously consider the LSRs as surrounds and use something a bit bigger across the front... but only if the room merited it.

Widget

Valentin
09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
If you have the money i would not think about it and buy a 5.2 lsr system

as you said

I consider clarity, wide frequency range, and low distortion along with sounding good to be the priorities.

no amps to deal with just a nice processor and less space taken up by the speakers

you will all sow get a better chance to get a good sound of your room with the lsr system

more adjust-ability in the lsr to the conditions of your room

bone215
09-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Thank you Widget and Valentin.
I am not trying to go on the cheap, rather I am collecting information.
My present system consists of 5 NHT classic threes and one NHT center along with an SVS PCultra 13 subwoofer.
I used the 4412A's up front with S120II subs underneath them. I like both set ups but the room is challenged for space and the 4412As and subs were too room intrusive, size wize. Both myself and the wife like the sound of both systems.
I plan for the future, perhaps a retirement home with more space to set up a decent theater. I am not talking a room looking like a real theater and costing mucho denaro, but somethng that I can put together and at the very least "kick" at least "a little a$$" for those occasions when the urge to blast takes over.
The NHT 3's are very clear, they image well and they do a nice job. In a larger room, however, I think I would drag out the larger monitors and build around them. Just really checking the options out.
Hey, if I hit the lottery, looks like I will have a whole different set of questions.

Thanks for all the feed back.