PDA

View Full Version : Just home from Canada

SEAWOLF97
08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
well, with all the raving by 4645 & HJ about the control 5's , I decided to do the 17 hour odyssey to Taswassen B.C. yesterday ...(thanx again Marty) and home again at 1 AM this morning...they are a little larger than I expected ( I think thats the right model number, will have to check)...

cant bring them in the house until can locate some help, feel embarrassed that I cant carry some little tinny plastic boxes , but it will be worth the wait...

Q's ?
1, cant figure how Ashley hangs them on the walls ?
2. verticle or horizontal ?

the black bottoms are all thats visable....more pix to follow.

Hoerninger
08-30-2008, 08:08 AM
You are a real hunter, congratulation!

A's:
1. Ashley has more!
2. Are you sitting or lieing?

macaroonie
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
If those are control 5's. Now the stood off grille and a guess at the size of the bottoms I think we are talking 250's :)

Mr. Widget
08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Congratulations on finally getting some decent speakers! Now you can put those funny looking party favor speakers out in the garage. :rotfl:

Widget

Robh3606
08-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Very nice

You should have strapped them down across the roof like a true hunter ;). I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
08-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Congratulations on finally getting some decent speakers! Now you can put those funny looking party favor speakers out in the garage. :rotfl:
Widget

Those funny looking party favor speakers will smoke at least half the sets mentioned here.

Very nice

I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

The 250ti's are very smooth...I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these and so will not be able to hook up for a couple of days.

I have a VN friend who buys JBL on CL and flips on eBay, that has allowed him to just recently build a 7,000 sqft home on big land. I've always accused him of being able to sniff out JBL's like a bloodhound. ... So I'm sitting around this morning contemplating how they are going to get from the truck to the house, and he magically appears..the 2 of us had no problems (did use a dolly)

Sent the OL over by them to show her they arent really so big, mistake....she showed me how she can hide behind them..:o:

Krunchy
08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these
:rotfl: Dont we all!?:D

Congratulations Seawolf, they look great, I'm sure you are going to have a ball with them.

Enjoy..... Big Time!!!

hjames
08-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow, man!!
Dig those Control-250s

How ya gonna bolt them on the wall"
(I think Ashley uses sheet rock screws!)

SEAWOLF97
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
.I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these and so will not be able to hook up for a couple of days.

Ok ... we all know that letting them sit a couple of days wasnt going to happen....as soon as she headed out to the store, they got hooked up to my demo leads on the backup BGW...they are sitting about 4 feet out from the picture window, aimed in the wrong direction , on 18 ga. wire ...not the optimal setup.

The HF sparkles , to a much higher level than the Ohms. The LF also thuinders when appropriate. Really dont see a great need for a sub. They are very fast. I put on the CD of Robert Cray's Greatest Hits, and they are about the closest thing to "live" that I've heard at home. The Ohm's do have a MUCH BIGGER sweet spot, as to be expected with a 360 radiator. Yes, the 250ti's are keepers. I did about 20 minutes of detailing and most of the blemishes are gone or hidden ...I wud say they've gone from 96 percenters to 98's .... Will not make 100 until I do some small veneer patching arounf the skirt.

I am new to bus bars , but they dont seem too difficult. May remove them and polish out any corrosion. They were set as pictured when Marty bought them and he never changed em as it sounds good "as-is" ....does this setup indicate that the original user thought that the mids were a bit too hot ?

One complaint: although they have 5 way binding posts, the wire hole is small and dont think will take 12 ga.....looks like will have to use bananas.

macaroonie
08-30-2008, 05:59 PM
So is that the speaker safari over ? :p
Nice work,

SEAWOLF97
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
So is that the speaker safari over ? :p
Nice work,

Its been dead since I ran out of space and GW ran out of product. Gave away 3 sets of speakers today.

Dont know if the Ohm's are going to the HT or rear of room opposite the 250's where the L166's currently are. If the HT, then I've gotta sell the AR powered towers.:(

JBL 4645
08-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Tom

I thought you where packing a Sasquatch in the back of the truck? :D Well it’s been conformed that some lucky buggers have already found and have the poor beast in there deep freezer!

Bigfoot Body?? (Fox News)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76h6ltDh2c (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76h6ltDh2c)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=33976&stc=1&d=1220139479

So are these the attenuators to adjust, doesn’t the JBL 250Ti have some kind of electronic crossover or is it passive behind the rear panel?

SEAWOLF97
08-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Tom

or is it passive behind the rear panel?

yes, Ash , that what you have, the most basic, foolproof system I've ever seen..not even any pots to go bad.

JBL 4645
08-31-2008, 10:19 AM
yes, Ash , that what you have, the most basic, foolproof system I've ever seen..not even any pots to go bad.

Tom

Pots all my pots are in the kitchen, they are spotless! :D

Nice buy on those 250Ti I envy you, what a buy. I see the wife doesn’t have any dispute. Where they heavy to lift up and place carefully in the back of the truck?

First time I saw a pair of those was at Hi-Fi store in Christchurch it’s been closed now since early 2000? The pair I saw was black this would have been around 1989 1990. The price was at least a few grand. I’m guessing you must have paid around $300 $400 for the pair?

SEAWOLF97
08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Very nice

You should have strapped them down across the roof like a true hunter ;). I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob, they are certainly a step up from the Ohm's....I installed them today. Being up against the wall improved the bass and being on 12 ga. fed by the 750D's 375 wpc really makes them sing. I moved the MID bar back to zero and change was noticeable. I had remarked to Marty that they were pretty neutral, not West coast or East. With mids set flat, vocals came foreward a bit and now have moved a thousand miles West.

Tom

Nice buy on those 250Ti I envy you, what a buy. I see the wife doesn’t have any dispute. Where they heavy to lift up and place carefully in the back of the truck?The price was at least a few grand. I’m guessing you must have paid around $300 $400 for the pair?

The wife was excellent....At first the reaction was " More speakers ??? How many do you need? " , but she mellowed out. Up there in BC , not a peep or squeek as Marty and I sat and BS'ed about 3 hours. She was perfect.:)

The tech sheet says they are 135 pounds, tho feel lighter.

At $300/$400 a pair, I would take a dozen for starters, then return for more. L65's are going for $1,200 and these may be a tad better. :D

My extensive measurements were spot on. They slipped right into their intended locations, and I gained a little room as the Ohm's are 18D and the 250's are 14D ..... Happy Camper. :applaud:

Krunchy
09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Thats a wonderful set-up you got there Tom, they look like they were meant to be there. Looks like you are also set for some quality listening during the winter months, very cozy.

Have fun!

SEAWOLF97
09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Thats a wonderful set-up you got there Tom, they look like they were meant to be there. Looks like you are also set for some quality listening during the winter months, very cozy.

Have fun!

Thanx Fred ...as I said , there was a limited space in the room , they can only go in that one area. The woodstove is the focus point in the room furnature-wise and heat-wise all winter, and surrounding it is natural.

The WIF first saw them and exclaimed "those are ugly !!" , but the story has changed, now it's "They look like they belong in an art house" , which I think means a "Street of Dreams" home , which mine really isnt.

They scale up well. Just go louder and louder (their limits must be above mine) without distress. :applaud:

bone215
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Very nice looking set of speakers. Good luck with them.

Mr. Widget
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Rob, they are certainly a step up from the Ohm's....I installed them today. OK, now it's time to really step to the plate. Get yourself a pair of Model 19s. :rotfl:

Glad they worked out... they look good there flanking the stove.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Very nice looking set of speakers. Good luck with them.

Thanx ...was looking at your avatar, I was Navy aviation ..the rest of the Navy called us "Airdales"

Glad they worked out... they look good there flanking the stove.
Widget

Was playing some Santana thru them yesterday, and the mids did seem a little hot, so put the attenuator bus bar back to "as received" - down 1.5 db ...which makes them very neutral.

Doc Mark
09-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Morning, Seawolf,

Man, those things are flat-out gorgeous!! I dearly love it, when a fellow JBL enthusiast gets a good deal on something so outstanding! Well done!! :applaud::D I'm sure they will give you many years of fantastic enjoyment, and that they are everything you could want in such a speaker! Thanks for sharing your good fortune with the rest of us, and have fun with your new JBL's! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

clmrt
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Do you think the woodburner will dry them out?

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Do you think the woodburner will dry them out?

I have had that concern also , but I've had speakers there since 1977 and no problems..heat goes straight up or out when the fans are on , it is double walled sides, so the sides dont really get hot or radiate. I do keep a watch on them and oil monthly,
maybe a charter member of "Over Oilers Anonymous" :D

If fact,the mantle shelf has a hard board heat shield on the bottom side(its black,maybe can see ? )

Robh3606
09-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Rob, they are certainly a step up from the Ohm's....I installed them today.

Thanks for the review! They look great in your room I hope they continue to grow on you. I would keep those Ohm's if you can they are nice speakers and yours look to be in very nice shape.

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the review! They look great in your room I hope they continue to grow on you. I would keep those Ohm's if you can they are nice speakers and yours look to be in very nice shape.

Thanx rob ...The Ohm's got moved to the HT, I couldn't bear to have them sit idle..:( ....may have to attenuate the HF's on the 250's,,they seem really bright....thats the only real drawback, pulling them out and moving bus bars, but when they are dialed-in, that too will be over.

LATER: set all bars down by 1 notch....now much better in my room. :applaud:

bone215
09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Seawolf
The avatar relates to me and the warden liking Airedales, as in the large terriers. Originally they are from the dale of the river Aire, which I always thought was a cool turn of phrase. I saw the shield as interesting art work so I captured it.
No relation to the Navy side of things as I was an Air Force brat. Which leads to the question, why are you guys called Airedales?

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
. Which leads to the question, why are you guys called Airedales?

The Navy is full of traditions , most have no relation to modern day life and they're difficult to comprehend sometimes, you just go with the flow to stay cool..:)

You can find reference to Navy Airdales on the web, but no explanation.

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 09:27 AM
the only point of argument with the boss is over the grills .... I love the look & sound with them OFF , she doesn't , claims stove dust will foul them ...maybe off in the spring / summer , On in the fall / winter ?

Krunchy
09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
You know, they look good with the grilles on,
but for listening I would opt for them...Al-fresco!!! Magnifico! :D

JBL 4645
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Tom

The avatar what is that a second of third generation computer? I vote for the 250Ti be your new avatar! They look cool and I can almost taste the sound from here. :applaud:

One thing I’ve noticed is the room and the surrounding items that may reflect some parts of the frequency response into a different direction. Is a room planned with fewer items and a few simple seats to fully enjoy the JBL sound?

rdgrimes
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
the only point of argument with the boss is over the grills .... I love the look & sound with them OFF , she doesn't , claims stove dust will foul them ...maybe off in the spring / summer , On in the fall / winter ?
I would be concerned about the proximity of the wood stove causing drying and aging of the wood finishes and drivers. Heat is not really good for them. Be sure you keep the humidity up in the winter.

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Be sure you keep the humidity up in the winter.

that is why the green tea kettle on top of stove, to keep humidity up , I fill it about 2x a week in wood burning season.

I would be concerned about the proximity of the wood stove causing drying and aging of the wood finishes and drivers. Heat is not really good for them..

I have had that concern also , but I've had speakers there since 1977 and no problems..heat goes straight up or out when the fans are on , it is double walled sides, so the sides dont really get hot or radiate. I do keep a watch on them and oil monthly,
maybe a charter member of "Over Oilers Anonymous" :D

If fact,the mantle shelf has a hard board heat shield on the bottom side (its black,maybe can see ? )

the speakers are about 2+ feet from the side of stove and dont get warm.

LRBacon
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Tom, did you have any problems at the border crossing on your way back from B.C.?

Larry

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Tom, did you have any problems at the border crossing on your way back from B.C.?

Larry

Larry - I had that concern too, and instead of staying overnite, we decided to get it over with and find out....

from the other thread...

I bought Marty's 250ti's...they about filled the bed of my truck, threw a grey tent over the top of them and headed for the crossing at Blaine.

got to border...

Boarder guard : did you buy anything in Canada ?
Me : I did buy some used, American made speakers
BG looks in the canopy window , cant see anything since glass is smoke.
BG hands back passports and says "Bye" or maybe "Buy" ???

I take his bye/buy comment as a sign to boogie south and take off ..no duty. BG didnt seem all that interested. :)

rdgrimes
09-04-2008, 02:37 PM
that is why the green tea kettle on top of stove, to keep humidity up , I fill it about 2x a week in wood burning season.

In a 1000 SF home, you would need to be adding more like 2-3 gallons per day to the air to maintain humidity levels that are comparable to summer time. (depends on outside levels) Get a humidifier from Sears and join the bottle-sloshing crowd. Keep the room humidity about 30-50% all year round for happy wood. :) You'll notice it in hair and skin too. That keeps the wood from shrinking or expanding as levels change, much like temperature changes do. Wood stoves/fireplaces are notorious for lowering humidity, cause they draw in outside air. And in the completely off-topic mode, consider a pellet stove insert for that fireplace. They make a lot more heat and almost no ash. No more wood pile, and you empty the ash drawer maybe 1-2 times per month.

macaroonie
09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
We try to get undamp here FYFI :p

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Tom

The avatar what is that a second of third generation computer?

A 1952 prototype VCR - British made , of course !!

I vote for the 250Ti be your new avatar! They look cool and I can almost taste the sound from here. :applaud:

If I turn them up you may be able to hear them from there...

One thing I’ve noticed is the room and the surrounding items that may reflect some parts of the frequency response into a different direction. Is a room planned with fewer items and a few simple seats to fully enjoy the JBL sound?

Have no noticed problems....some things you have to compromise on in order to get approval from the better half.:o:

SEAWOLF97
09-05-2008, 05:46 AM
found the owners manual online , tech specs, placement guidelines,,etc.

surprised to see the 044 goes to 28khz

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/250Ti%20om.pdf

JBL 4645
09-05-2008, 06:46 AM
found the owners manual online , tech specs, placement guidelines,,etc.

surprised to see the 044 goes to 28khz

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/250Ti%20om.pdf

Tom

Morning, have you, saved the pdf file to your computer?

What I do is make a simple file and any rare pdf files I come across I save because you never know when the URL might go down.

JBL 4645
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
A 1952 prototype VCR - British made , of course !!

If I turn them up you may be able to hear them from there...

Have no noticed problems....some things you have to compromise on in order to get approval from the better half.:o:

I see I forget about that part, sorry Tom if I came off selfish, I apologise.

That is a VCR, its about the size of BUS! :D Wow I wonder what the lower half is used for, transformers?

SEAWOLF97
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
In a 1000 SF home, you would need to be adding more like 2-3 gallons per day to the air to maintain humidity levels that are comparable to summer time. (depends on outside levels) Get a humidifier from Sears and join the bottle-sloshing crowd. Keep the room humidity about 30-50% all year round for happy wood. :) You'll notice it in hair and skin too. That keeps the wood from shrinking or expanding as levels change, much like temperature changes do. Wood stoves/fireplaces are notorious for lowering humidity, cause they draw in outside air. And in the completely off-topic mode, consider a pellet stove insert for that fireplace. They make a lot more heat and almost no ash. No more wood pile, and you empty the ash drawer maybe 1-2 times per month.

thanx for the tips..the windows and doors have been open most all days since April/May (air conditioning is a losing deal in Northern Oregon ) and I just checked the meter and it shows 53 percent...I will take that as a baseline to maintain in the winter months ... we have thot about pellet stoves, but other priorities got in the way. We have been burning wood since 1977, and even today picked up another truck load of kindling. The only oddity was that we super insulated last year ( under floor, in walls and lots in the ceilings) and now some of the mahogany hollow core doors won't close completely.

Tom

Morning, have you, saved the pdf file to your computer?

What I do is make a simple file and any rare pdf files I come across I save because you never know when the URL might go down.

that file is saved and printed, as are info sheets on all my JBL's

JBL 4645
09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
thanx for the tips..the windows and doors have been open most all days since April/May (air conditioning is a losing deal in Northern Oregon ) and I just checked the meter and it shows 53 percent...I will take that as a baseline to maintain in the winter months ... we have thot about pellet stoves, but other priorities got in the way. We have been burning wood since 1977, and even today picked up another truck load of kindling. The only oddity was that we super insulated last year ( under floor, in walls and lots in the ceilings) and now some of the mahogany hollow core doors won't close completely.

that file is saved and printed, as are info sheets on all my JBL's

I’ve heard that it rains mostly over in Oregon, kinder like over here in Bournemouth, nothing but rain, and I’m not moaning I prefer the rain it reflects on my mood. :D

Oh, you, bugger you, you printed it out very good thinking there, Tom. :D

My printer is new and something is not quit right with it, I changed the cartage over and I kept getting some kinder of error report being sent back to the computer, well that was my other computer. Its buggered now and sitting in a friends shed buggered up! :(

I wonder if I should try the printer on my new almost new computer and see if it enables. There’s nothing like a good read though a JBL manual before getting some kip. :)

SEAWOLF97
09-13-2008, 04:43 PM
OK...its been 2 weeks of fiddlefarting around with the system - EQ on ? off ? settings ? SRS on ? off ? sub ? etc...etc

Today I think the right combo has finally landed .... L166's on the back side of the room OFF ...the 250ti's gained a lot of authority now being undiluted by the Horizons. EQ off , SRS off ,,in fact the only extra thing left ON is the M&K sub ...it does add a little to the mix and good as the LE14's are, that little extra LF is nice.

were the @250ti's meant to be used with a B460 or just someones improvement idea ?

Now finally , I can mount the Denon DL-103 and see if things can get any better ?? (the currrent V-15/T3 is no slouch tho)

Doc Mark
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi, SeaWolf,

Thanks for keeping us up on your progress! Sounds like you have been having a fine time, indeed, which is really what all this is about, eh?! Where do you have your sub crossed over to the L250's? How much power does each amp offer, for both sub and mains? Thanks, and keep having a great time with all this! I look forward to more reports, as you feel moved to post them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBL 4645
09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I do like the look of those JBL B460 you’re not planning on tracking down a few are you Tom?

Found this on Google image not sure if the owner is selling the B460?
http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html (http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html)

SEAWOLF97
09-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi, SeaWolf,

Where do you have your sub crossed over to the L250's? How much power does each amp offer, for both sub and mains? Doc

Doc ,,,the sub is crossed at 135hz , the 250ti's go to about 33hz ? (dont know the specs on L250, s/b similar except TI tweeter goes to 28khz) The sub is hanging off a BGW 250D (100wpc) , but it is powered and I dont know how much internal power ...legend graph on reverse shows flat from 20hz to 120. Although only a 12incher, the M&K really does the job for me.

The 250ti's are being run by a BGW750D (375wpc) and both amps are controlled with a BGW 203 preamp. It all sounds quite presentable. I'm getting used to the big JBL's after a stint with big one way Walsh's.

Doc Mark
09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Evening, SeaWolf,

Thanks for the additional info! Your new system sounds (no pun intended) like it is a fine one! I'd love to hear it someday. Ain't this fun?!! :D Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

SEAWOLF97
09-28-2008, 04:51 PM
The Boss left me home alone today.....first time I've had a chance to let the Control 250's really run ....

WOW !!! Not regretting this purchase at all :D

Doc Mark
09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, SeaWolf,

Outstanding!!! Congrats!! :applaud::applaud::D:D

Doc

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Evening, SeaWolf,

Thanks for the additional info! Your new system sounds (no pun intended) like it is a fine one! I'd love to hear it someday. Ain't this fun?!! :D Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc

I'm continually tweaking the system.....the bus bars are now set at "no attenuation" (going to either buff them out or replace with silver wire) , there are L88's on rear side of the room for very low fill , now 2 M&K powered subs, have upgraded tt with a Denon DL-103 (looking for a Denon tt) , replaced the feet on the Control 250's and have oiled them to where they wont take anymore oil (they have a gentle glow now) ......and it all sounds pretty darned OKAY !! (may have an Ortofon tt pre on the way for slightly more upgrade)

Without this forum , I'd still be on the Denon receiver running L100's :(

Chas
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Without this forum , I'd still be on the Denon receiver running L100's :(

And I would still be listening to Magnepan MGIIIa's :barf:

4313B
10-30-2008, 11:28 AM
And I would still have my close and play...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKZ-O70wNg

SEAWOLF97
01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob

Interesting development......I have modded the Ohm's to address the HF deficiencies
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23671&highlight=walsh

thus converting my 1 way , no xover to a 2 way with xover and they are fantastic. If I had done this before purchasing the 250ti's , well mebbe , I would not have felt the need to do that.

The 250ti will play much louder, but I dont listen at high volume very often....I'll keep them , no regrets , but the listening time is now shared between the 2 sets as they are both hung off the same source components.
Both sets are super, but in different ways...the Walsh's still sound smoother & more natural.

Oh yes, one other thing...I have to use the 250s when listening to vinyl, the Ohms are too close to the TT and I get howling if they are selected.

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Funny ...

my VN friend "Mr.JBL Portland" who helped me bring the speakers in from the truck....when I bought them, he asked "why did you go to Canada for those ? There are lots around here" .... well, he called couple of days ago...he is a guy who gets to the point, no screwing around,,,,except this call,,,after a while he says "OBTW , I bought some 250ti's like yours from CL" ...I respond "never saw them on CL" ...ended up that he bought them ifrom L.A. CL.

He's also the guy who said " Dont fall in love with any speaker , its all for sale"...well, he spent $1500, so I dont think theres too much flipping room after he transports these up to Portland.

Then last night, had a guy over to buy some bulk surrounds ...he had never seen the 250ti's before, and this AM I get an email from him showing me a pair of L250's for sale in San Diego...I have no interest, so I clue in my bud in Sydney...so many of his friends like his pair, that now 3 of them are looking to import those SD pair.

bottom line: looks like my purchase has spawned at least 3 more sales to friends or friends of friends. :bouncy: