PDA

View Full Version : L150A with a dead LE5

rdgrimes
08-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I just got this pair of L150A's off eBay. One speaker is perfect, the other has the woofer surrounds installed inside-out. That same speaker seems to be putting nothing at all out of the LE5.

All 4 of the level pots were dirty, but cleared up with a few spins under high power. This one doesn't sound like it's putting anything out at all. Even after spinning the level pot full stops about 100 times, I don't even get the usual pot noises from it. Considering the bassackwards surrounds, I'm guessing there's maybe a disconnected or mis-connected wire inside.

Anything else I should be thinking about? I do have a spare LE5 I can try, but this one has full excursion and no bad noises.

BMWCCA
08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Anything else I should be thinking about? I do have a spare LE5 I can try, but this one has full excursion and no bad noises.Sorry to hear about your troubles with the L150As. They're yours now so let's make the best of it.

Of course your first step should be to swap the LE5s from one L150A to the other and see if your problem travels with it. But I'm willing to bet you already tried that?

rdgrimes
08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I won't get inside the L150A for a day or 3, but I'm hopeful it's a mis-wire or disconnect. I even thought they might have swapped the connects from the mid to the woofer, cause the speaker sounds "different" than it's mate. I do have a spare LE5 anyhow, but I'm sure the LE5 is OK. You can't kill them.

What's amazing is how good it sounds without the mid at all. These speakers kick ass, but I already knew that.

John
08-29-2008, 12:44 AM
No Need to swap anything, just pop the dead mid and check the coil with a meter or battery.:blah:

rdgrimes
08-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Well I was close to being right. The plastic cup had fallen off or been knocked off and took the LE5 wires with it. Apparently those cups are only held on with some sort of goop. I went with epoxy to re-attach the cup, we'll see how that works out.