PDA

View Full Version : Lancer 66 cabinets

GTekie
08-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello all
I picked up these empty cabinets today supposedly JBL Lancer 66s. Seems like a shame to let them go to a landfill, so I would like to rescue them.
Info seems scarce but from what I can find here on LHF they take LE-10 woofers and LE-20 tweeters.I have no idea what crossover is needed. Any information on these would be greatly appreciated. Also if there are any members here who have components for these that they are willing to part with please let me know.

speakerdave
08-23-2008, 10:38 AM
They don't really look like JBL cabinets to me.

They look more like the commercial third party cabinets that were available in the fifties and into the sixties when it was common for a customer to buy drivers and then buy or make a cabinet.

They are a floor standing cabinet from a time when stereo imaging was less a concern. In that they are like the JBL L65 or the Altec Seville--well designed little cabinets which are meant to stand on the floor but are too short to get the tweeter up to sitting ear level.

You might find a use for them as office or bedroom speakers where imaging is usually not an issue.

For that kind of use--non-critical listening, I would try some LE10's, LE20's and LX-2's. They are closed cabinets, and JBL always used the LE10 ported with a tube or passive radiator, but I would try them as-is and see if it is OK. If you get an annoying bass hump you will have to work out some porting.

speakerdave
08-23-2008, 02:55 PM
If you look at either of the first two items on this page in the library, you will find porting specifications for the LE10 in various size boxes:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/jbl-plans.htm

GTekie
08-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I see that these cabinets were not designed for a 10 inch woofer.The woofer cutout is 11 ins in diameter and the upper cutout is 4 in X 15 in.
The baffle is 18.5 X 22.5 X .75 ins. Time to rethink this. Help !!! Please. I want to restore these right.

Earl K
08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I see that these cabinets were not designed for a 10 inch woofer.The woofer cutout is 11 ins in diameter and the upper cutout is 4 in X 15 in.
The baffle is 18.5 X 22.5 X .75 ins. Time to rethink this. Help !!! Please. I want to restore these right.

Nice Enclosures ! ( I particulary like the offset leg section / very 1963 in a "Danish Modern" , retro sort of way ) .

Anyways, figure out the internal cubic capacity of your enclosures ( looks to be @ 3 cu ft to my eyes ) , then consider joining Zilches' group of "DIYers" over at AudioKarma.Org (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php) . If desired, have JackGiff & Zilch guide you through a DIY project that'll include your cabinets in a 2-way project ( using a woofer plus horn/compression driver ) .

- Read the authors' thread called AK Design Collaborative - Econo-Waveguide Speaker Project (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939) for a backgrounding in some of the approaches that they've taken fon a variety of 2-way, DIY projects .

- Good Luck <> Earl K

GTekie
09-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Hello again. I have found lenses that fit these baffles and as a JBL freak I want to use JBL components.( as someone said here it only costs 80% more to go first class ).
I currently own 2 pairs of L 166s and really like the way they sound so perhaps the 122a or a1s would be a good choice for the woofer although that is open too. The horn driver is another matter, clueless here. Same for the X-overs. The lenses are the screw on variety.
Attached is a pic of the layout but I'm not using the paper weight style of woofer shown. I will have to acquire all needed parts so availability is important. Any suggestions ?

SEAWOLF97
09-01-2008, 06:28 AM
I currently own 2 pairs of L 166s and really like the way they sound so perhaps the 122a or a1s would be a good choice for the woofer although that is open too.

I think member BRUTAL has been looking for a replacement 122a/1 for quite a while with not much luck...I dont think they are so common as to be available for projects. I may be wrong, has been known to happen...;)

GTekie
09-01-2008, 06:37 AM
There seems to be a good supply of 123s around so that may be a better choice.People must be parting out L100s. As I said I'm open to suggestions.
over...........

Zilch
09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=132559&#post132559

[What Earl K said.... :yes:]