PDA

View Full Version : 4315

push pull
08-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi there,

I have been offered the chance to buy a pair of 4315 speakers.

I cannot inspect them in person, and as tempted as I am to take a chance, I would appreciate the opinions of the members of this forum about the condition of the drivers.

I know these drivers cannot be replaced, but to my eyes they only seem to need a refoam.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

John
08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Well the cones look good and that dust cap dent looks like it could be pulled out. But on the spiders and coils??? :hmm:

jblbgw_man
08-23-2008, 01:12 AM
I had my 4315's re foamed recently and bought the foam surrounds from ebayer looneytunes2001, I am quite happy with the outcome, I was lucky all my spiders and cones were in good condition, this will be your concern, do you know of the history of the ones being offered, from this you could chance it with the spiders.

In general I like the 4315, although they do lack in the LF department, maybe used with a sub would be a good idea, also I find the 2105 high mid is a bit squarky. My mains are 4435's so it is an unfair comparison.:p

If you don't want them let me know, I may be interested in buying them depending in which state you reside.:bouncy:

boputnam
08-24-2008, 06:00 AM
I have been offered the chance to buy a pair of 4315 speakers.Lucky, lucky boy! From what I can see in the pics, those look in excellent condition. Are there grills for them? Cabinets in as good condition as the baffle looks?

Any idea why they are standing on their heads?

I'm too bushed to do the digging, but mayhaps recone kits are available for those woofers in-need. You could pm "edgewound" here on the forum, or look for a qualified JBL Authorized Service Center (http://www.jblproservice.com/service/index.html) in your area and inquire. Sadly, not all reconers are alike, so I hope you get a response from edge. Also, maybe pm Ian MacKenzie of The Tardis - he certainly knows stuff in your part of the planet.

I had my 4315's re foamed recently and bought the foam surrounds from ebayer looneytunes2001Yeah, that's Rick Cobb. His stuff works good.

push pull
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

The seller has owned them from new and assures me there has never been any issues.
He is moving to a smaller house and hasn't used them for a good while.

I have offered him a fair price and informed him that if he was to refoam them he could get a better price, but he is happy to let them go to a good home.

They come with grilles and the cabinets are in pretty nice condition.

I am pretty certain that all is well, but it is always nice to get a second opinion.

If it all goes to plan I will certainly post a couple of pictures.

jblbgw_man, 4435's are what I really aspire to own, but I don't have a house big enough.

Thanks to boputnam for the ideas on who to contact in AU.
I live in Sydney, so Jands would be my most likely place for refoam.

Fingers crossed.
Thanks again.

Regis
08-24-2008, 08:58 AM
In general I like the 4315, although they do lack in the LF department, maybe used with a sub would be a good idea

I concur with that thought as well. They're good down to 35hz or so. I am supplementing the LF with a pair of Velodyne HGS-12 subwoofers, which should do the trick. The 4315 is a great loudspeaker, you'll enjoy them.

mech986
12-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Push-Pull,

Did you ever seal the deal for the 4315's and then get them operational? We want to see them in all their glory!!

Bart