PDA

View Full Version : The New Toys

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Here are the new toys.

Will look good when I get the custom stands done for the HR-1's. Everything will be racked under the monitors.

AB International Amps

2 x 980A
1 x 600A
1 x 400A

1200 watts a side at 8 ohms.

Happy Easter All

Robh3606
04-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Hello Ken

Well I guess that will give you "a little" headroom :eek: Looks nice now. Are those White Eq's?? So you decided to keep them???After hearing a pair of 4350's if you can fit them why not!! Damn things were lot's of fun. Yours must be great.

Rob:)

scott fitlin
04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
White EQ,s are the best sounding. I have been using them since 1981. I use 4200 cut only. Yours look like they are in MINT condition.

:cool:

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
This is a pair of 4400's in yes, mint condition.

I also have a pair of 4100's that are in fantastic condition. The faces are pristine with not a mark on them. I will be posting the 4100's on ebay soon. They are in excellent mechanical condition, with all pots being perfectly quiet. If anyone is interested, let me know. Rarely would you find Whites in this condition.

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Yes Rob, I decided to keep them.

Two things happened:

1) The wife decided, although ugly they could be made to look better in the living room. She also decided they sounded very good and understood why I wanted them.

2) I originally bought them with the understanding that I would have a couple of months to decide on keeping them. The price was 9,000.00 including the HRX 4-way crossover or 6,000.00 without. When I decided to go with Widgets custom 4355's and return these, the owner dropped the price considerably and that was the end of that.

I have since had some repairs done to the crossover and really like the system. If any of you are ever in the Palm Springs,CA area you are more than welcome to check them out.

boputnam
04-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Ken Pachkowsky
1) The wife decided, although ugly they could be made to look better in the living room. She also decided they sounded very good and understood why I wanted them. Now that is a wifey!! :thmbsup:

Nice! Quite a few changes since I passed through your little town... :yes: I've thought about using those White's in the road rack, but their "cut-only" pots curve is not as "immediately" visual as is a 31-band graphic. :( So, I went with the Ashly. Nice-a-roonie...

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Most White EQ's are both cut and boost, although some came as cut only. By the way they are 4001,s not 4100's. I always do that.

scott fitlin
04-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Now that is a wifey!! :thmbsup:

Nice! Quite a few changes since I passed through your little town... :yes: I've thought about using those White's in the road rack, but their "cut-only" pots curve is not as "immediately" visual as is a 31-band graphic. :( So, I went with the Ashly. Nice-a-roonie... ken is using the 4400 cut/boost EQ,s. The 4200 and 4200A,s are cut only.

The 4400,s are THE best sounding cut/boost EQ,s on this planet! I have a pair of those, too, and there is just something about the White Instruments L-C tuned filters that rock!

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes Scott, you are right about the 4400's. They are truly amazing eq's. They are the only eq's that will compare to a Pultec at 1/4 the cost. Although a new pair of 4400's will run 3,000.00.

boputnam
04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Yea, well you're right, only that wasn't really germaine to my point (although shows I have less knowledge of their product line than you have... ;) ). The point I was stressing was glancing at the pots quickly doesn't give the same immediate understanding of the set "curve", as does a glance at a 31-band graphic. This is moot in home applications (where you two are talking), but in live engineering (where I was talking) it is critical to have very visual displays, controls, diode level meteres, etc. The dimension of time is seemingly shortened, when live...

Sorry - I'll just shutup and not dampen this White lovefest... :slink:

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Bo, on the contrary, I hardily agree with your opinion re sound reinforcement applications. One has to make fast adjustments in subdued lighting conditions in that environment.

I only wanted to point out that not all White's are cut only. Many people think they are cut only.

boputnam
04-10-2004, 03:28 PM
I only wanted to point out that not all White's are cut only. Many people think they are cut only. I think ALL EQ's should be cut only. I always end-up with the upper-half of the bands un-used. Far as I'm concerned, they should design a 31-band with unity at the top of the sliders... :idea:

One has to make fast adjustments in subdued lighting conditions in that environment. Yea - and in that crummy lighting there are something like 24! (24 factorial) knobs to get just right... Bliss! :D

scott fitlin
04-10-2004, 10:24 PM
White colored faders are easy to see. and the smiley face curve is very visual. But I use an RTA on my room, and after I have put the desired curve and then fine tuned by ear I put the security covers on and you dont see the pots anyway.

White manufactured cut/boost and they manufactured cut only, it just depended what you wanted to use. The 4400 and 4200A are essentially the same EQ, ecept the 4200A is cut only. white also made 1/6 octave EQ as well for small room tuning.

Sonically speaking I havent found anything better than the Whites. Something about the tonality of these things is great! I have some Rane GE30,s, a BSS Opal 966, urei 539,s, and yet, I always have the Whites in my system.

I didnt quite understand what you meant about the visual curve, but I hear ya now. Didnt mean to offend anybody. Oh, and Bo, the Rane GE 30,s have a switch on the back allowing you to choose to run the EQ,s cut/boost or cut only. In the cut only mode the sliders are alll the way to the top for 0db or unity! They also offer active balanced, transformer balanced, or unbalanced input, user selectable. Flexible unit, well made, I just prefer the sound of White!

:cool:

jtgyn
04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
G'Day Ken,
Wow!.. What are the Red + Black cables used for in the photo? Are you using those amps for welding?

Regards Scott

Ken Pachkowsky
04-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Those are the 4 gauge Westlake cables. I have 8 of them at 6 feet each. The 8 cables weigh in at just over 50 lbs. Supposed to be the "be all and end all" of cables. Absolutely outrageous price of 2400.00 a set. Obviously, they came with the Westlakes cause I would NEVER pay that for cables. I must be honest though, have not tried the HR-1's without them, but plan on moving the boxes and that would require longer cables. After contacting Westlake to get a price for 15 footers.....haha yes, hang on, I'll get a PO number.

boputnam
04-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
...the Rane GE 30,s have a switch on the back allowing you to choose to run the EQ,s cut/boost or cut only. In the cut only mode the sliders are alll the way to the top for 0db or unity! They also offer active balanced, transformer balanced, or unbalanced input, user selectable. Flexible unit, well made, I just prefer the sound of White! Hey, pretty cool... Widget's got a pile of Rane's - maybe his have this option and next time the racks are rolled-out, I can get a look. There goes my patent opportunity...! I too, like the quality of White's.

And, I too have a cover over the home EQ - the goldens' keep trying to notch the highs, so that is over... ;)

But, at one show we did at a few months back I was 'sposed to play harp, but no FOH engineer showed... This was the show were we had no soundcheck. Their built-in racks were all covered - even the EQ's. I figured "OK, they must have 'rung' the house, and we'll be fine...". So, I grabbed FOH and they gave the downbeat... Doh! :banghead: First song, my swiss army knife had them covers flying outa the way like bad Frisbees, and me and that AudioControl SA-3050A nailed it before the end of the song. What a night... Was sure glad they were graphics in that situation! :yes: