PDA

View Full Version : Utility cabinet question.

Doc Mark
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Greetings, Friends,

When I was unloading the utility grade 4333's that Grumpy passed along to me, yesterday, I noted some walnut veneer peeking out from a scrape along the side of one cabinet. Hummm..... After getting both cabinets in the living room, I checked them each, very carefully, and found that both boxes were, indeed, originally, walnut veneered. Then, the utility grade finish was put on over the veneer. Strange! I queried Grumpy about it, and he passed along the thought that maybe, just maybe, JBL walnut veneered cabinets that did not pass muster, and were "seconds", might have been sent back to receive a utility grade coating over the veneer. Do any of you current, of former, JBL employees know anything about that, please? Sounds plausible, but both Grumpy and I would be interested, if anyone knows more about this. I gave brief thought to stripping off the utility grade finish, and also the black paint that was later applied over that, and getting down to the veneer. But, I fear that I might soon reach the point of diminishing returns, especially if the veneer was not good from the start. Any information on this would be much appreciated! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

gsb001
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Doc,
For what it’s worth. I picked up a pair of 4312A’s, studio black. They were painted over in gray at some point in there past too.

I sanded both of them down last night and found beautiful walnut veneer under the black / gray. Very nice surprise.

Steve

Doc Mark
08-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Hello, Steve,

Thanks for your note this morning! Yes, I had seen your post on the success you had in getting down to a very nice finish on your black-painted JBL's, and that did give me a bit of curiosity about how mine might fare in such an undertaking! I know that lots of the corners would be chipped on my own veneer, and that might be why they were originally used with utility paint on them. But, who knows? Right now, I'm just enjoying them as they are, even though I've not even begun the rehab work on the cabinets!

VERY nice job on your cabinets, Steve! Well done!! Thanks, again, for sharing that with me. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

gsb001
08-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Have you ever stripped a pair of 4312's or cab's with the factory black finish? I just read that the black finish is sometimes a covering – like wall paper, that you can heat up with a heat gun and peel off. I spent several hours saniding with 60 grit sandpaper. And came thru the veneer by mistake.
Steve

Doc Mark
08-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Have you ever stripped a pair of 4312's or cab's with the factory black finish? I just read that the black finish is sometimes a covering – like wall paper, that you can heat up with a heat gun and peel off. I spent several hours saniding with 60 grit sandpaper. And came thru the veneer by mistake.
Steve

Morning, Steve,

No, I've never messed with the finish on any JBLs, at all, so all this is new to me. I have lots of work ahead of me with those wonderful old 4333 cabinets, but I'm really looking forward to it! Though they are just sitting in their proper places in the living room, with nothing done to them, and neither loaded with their components, nor hooked up, they already look right at home there!! Cool! I'll post a note on how things go with the finish, when I have time to get started on this project. Thanks, again, for your thoughts on all this, and once again, congrats on doing such a nice job on your own JBL cabinet!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc