PDA

View Full Version : Question About 4312A Cabinet Material??

gsb001
08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
New these were the studio black finish. Now they are more of a faded gray color. Very bad shape.

I can't tell if they have a real hardwood veneer? I can see faint wood grain. But can’t tell if it’s a pressed pattern or real hardwood. Does any one know?

Thanks,
Steve

robertbartsch
08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a set of these but they are in a set of walnut veneer trim boxes.

I would say, have a look at the rear of the box. If it is veneer, you should be able to tell from the back edge of the cab, I suppose. If this fails, pull a driver and look inside to see if the box is fiber panel.

If your boxes are painted, I assume your options are somewhat limited to, perhaps a light sand and re-paint.

gsb001
08-12-2008, 01:54 PM
thanks. I'm going to test on one of the bottms.

BJL
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
If they had veneer outside, then perhaps they have it inside too.
See here (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?s=&p=54115&postcount=4) briang's experience with L96 cabs.

gsb001
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
I checked the insides – not veneer. Thanks for the tip.

Looks like they have a very thin piece of veneer on the outside. I mean very thin.

If I were to get down to the fiber panel when sanding – I’d like to know best way to prep fiber panel for a black repaint.

I’ve searched site with no luck. Does anyone know of links posted, going thru steps, with types of conditioners, paint and application tips?

Thanks
Steve

gsb001
08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Mystery solved. Sanded down last night and found beautiful walnut. All corners are very sharp. Sanded thru on a few spots.

This is my first time buying old pair to fix up – man what a relief to see the wood under those layers of paint.
Steve

Doc Mark
08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey, Gsb001,

Great job, and well done!! Sweet Bride took one look and said much the same thing, then she added, "I wonder if his wife knows he used her brand new towels underneath his speakers"? Man, she's got keen eyes!!! ;) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

jan_slagman
08-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi GSB001,

Can you fix my JBL 4312A's the same way :D. Mine are black laminated with the JBL logo's on each side. I wished i had that gorgeous American walnut version. Treat them nice and carefully according the JBL recipe.

boiled linseed oil and pure gum terpentine, mix it 1/4 terpentine, 3/4 linseed oil and apply it to the wooden cabinets with a piece of cloth from an old black cotton t shirt. After letting the mixture sit for about half an hour wipe it off with a clean/dry piece of black cotton t shirt. This is the same mixture JBL used to oil the cabinets at the factory and it was noted in the older owners manuals re-care of the cabinet finish. Let it sit overnight and add another coat in the morning but so far the cabinets look excellent with a very low luster and the grain pattern highlighted. If I remember correctly it was recommended to do the simple process at least once a year to keep the walnut veneer looking its best.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

gsb001
08-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

Want you to know – they are not new towels. They are from the stack of replaced by new ones. Perfect for drying dog and wood working. I can tell you really look at the pictures. I’m the same way – aren’t posts so much better with pictures?

I put the finish on them last night. Used the org JBL formula. They look great.

Did not know about using black tee shirts – did that really come from owners manual?

I still need help with speaker grills. I can make the frames – I need help finding org. or best match fabric. Any leads?

Sorry about not having “after” pictures – I’ll post some.

Sunday I’m going to set them up for a picture shoot in the open yard and sun.

By the way – I now have a pair of JBL 4312A’s for sale. I’m going to post in the market link to see if there is any interest from the LH members.
If no takers – I’m going to post on ebay.
Thanks
Steve

hjames
08-17-2008, 05:16 AM
If you are looking for the deep blue JBL Studio Monitor cloth, send a PM to lansing member "Zilch"
I got some from him for some of my previous monitors and it's good stuff.

Nice looking cabinets by the way!

I still need help with speaker grills. I can make the frames – I need help finding org. or best match fabric. Any leads?

Steve