PDA

View Full Version : JBL TL 260 Limited Edition, 60th Anniversary - help!

g_t_r
08-09-2008, 03:01 PM
What do you think about this speakers? They are really worth the money? In white peaper material claim TL 260 are uncompromised sound, hi-end loud speakers, and evolution of legendary TI 250 model!?:blink: Someone know who project this box? Greg Timbers? Someone compare TL 260 vs. Tl 250? How compared with L890? it looked like they were using the same cones as the Studio L:blink:. This is china cheap or high quality modern JBL
transducers better than old used in Ti series and other flagship series?

White peaper:

"Our primary objective was to design
an update to the original L250 design"

"The TL260 presented none of the design
constraints that are common in loudspeaker
design today"

"There were
minimal restrictions on enclosure size,
driver complement and network design.
Since we planned from the start to
create a no-compromise, high-end
loudspeaker for the discriminating
listener"

"Evoking the original sleek,
slant-side enclosure, we have brought
this classic speaker into the 21st
century and delivered unsurpassed
performance".

?

BMWCCA
08-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Never seen them in the USA but I do remember a thread about them. Probably sound fantastic, though they look like something from a department store electronics section. Or am I just showing my age? Then, of course, I am a "bottom feeder".

Titanium Dome
08-09-2008, 07:00 PM
They look better in person, though there's still a definite style to them that some would find unappealing. The cabinets look great; the drivers look less great.

I think the drivers from the midrange on up are equal to or better than what was in the 250Ti*, but there's not much hope that the midbass driver and 12" woofer can equal the 250Ti's drivers. The 108H and the LE14H-1 still set the standard in this cabinet design application.

*Yes, I know the 044Ti was a great tweeter, but I think its reputation is exaggerated, and it doesn't have the range of both the Ti tweeter and UHF driver, both of which are in waveguides. I've always had minor reservations about the 104Hx family of drivers. They were very good, but not great. The PolyPlas midrange IMO is every bit as good sounding. (Don't show me no graphs. I don't need no stinking graphs.)

hjames
08-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Got a bit of the Kabuki style of the LC2 Center speaker - and the other Studio L Series ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10866&highlight=studio+series+exposed

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=SLS&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

They look better in person, though there's still a definite style to them that some would find unappealing. The cabinets look great; the drivers look less great.

g_t_r
08-11-2008, 02:25 AM
In fact, transducers are the same like cheap "studio" series. I can't find any further information about drivers (model name???). JBL Tl 260 are made in China :( Ti 250 are from USA. TL 260 is evolution of Ti 250! So, they shoul be better than old flagship model. But what is the true? Small 12'' no name woofer vs. classic 14'' LE14H-1 ... I'm worry

Titanium Dome
08-11-2008, 07:18 AM
The marketing piece actually mentions the L250 design not the 250Ti specifically. the L250 was a very good speaker, but not as good as the 250Ti which followed it.

Referencing the L250, there's no question that the HF output will be better on the TL260. My LF comments would remain the same as in the comparison of the 250Ti.

The current implementation of the Polyplas drivers is quite good, though I must confess to not liking the looks all that much.

With the kind of questions and doubts you have about the TL260, I'd say it would be a risky purchase for you. You absolutely must hear them before buying.

marcus_helsinki
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
A setup:
Rotel RCD 991 AE
Rotel RC 995
2* Rotel RB 991
Supra high quality shielded cabling
JBL TL 260

sounds like:

fast, wonderfully open, detailed, bright, natural, different instruments can be heard very easily, and there are no obvious colorations; feels like real music. Of course, the bass extension & dynamics is not the same as when you are listening to some death metal band live, but the bass is also fast and rhythmic and gives nice bass, which is not at all overwhelmed by upper bass, which makes it possible to hear all instruments so well. The sound of guitar is surprizingly natural.

I added a REL music bass to reproduce basses below 25 Hz, which made the system almost perfect. The Rotels + JBL only sounds wonderful, little bright, because the frequencies below 25 Hz are missing, though everything above 25 Hz is almost perfect. I recommend adding a fast, rhythmic music sub-bass to the system. TL260s allow this perfection of sound, because they dont have the annoying upper bass boom as so many other loudspeakers.

To get the best of TL260s, I recommend powerful high quality components to be used with them, otherwise the ultra-precise pure titanium tweeter and Mylar tweeter reveal the weaknesses in the signal reproduction path before the loudspeakers.

The loudspekers are, most importantly, fun to listen to, also very rhythmic; they also reproduce tones accurately and beautifully.

Titanium Dome
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Which model of REL?

marcus_helsinki
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Storm III, it should be among the fastest subs. Still, if I could afford, I would like Stadium or Stentor to get frequenqies below 16 Hz, too.

Jakob
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
g_t_r: If it's the 250ti You really want why not buy a pair? In your neighbour-country Germany they are selling 250 ti's for 1000-2000 euro's. I guess that is even less than what the TL-260 retails for, at least in Sweden (2500 euro).

I own a pair of 250ti and have never heard the TL260. I'll never sell mine: they are one of JBL's classics and sound great too! The TL260 might sound good as well, but it will never be a classic and will probably not hold their value as the 250's. And to be hounest: I doubt they rival the 250's performance...

But as I said: I've never heard the TL260 and have been proven wrong before ;)

Regards,

Jakob

marcus_helsinki
09-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I have read about a comparison carried out in Norway (avforum.no). A father had the Ti250 and his son got a possibility to listen to TL260 and he knew right away that he wants these. They told about the comparison that the reproduction of high frequencies of the newer model is better, which is not surprizing.

Otherwise I remember some information about them that there might be more bass in the sound of Ti250.

Titanium Dome
09-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Storm III, it should be among the fastest subs. Still, if I could afford, I would like Stadium or Stentor to get frequenqies below 16 Hz, too.

I would think that combination would compete very well with the 250Ti. Perhaps it's not fair in the opinion of some to add the subwoofer, but the object is to get the most satisfying sound. :)

To me it seems like a smart way to add that LF boost,

g_t_r
09-08-2008, 05:47 AM
I was listening recently JBL TL 260 vs. flagship Jamo Reference R909 model. JBL were much better than Jamo :applaud:. This JBL model sounds great in every kind of music! The all room was filed emocional music with great frequency response. The bass is powerful, very, very deep thanks 12" woofer and big box. These Speakers reproduce music very neutral and natural (not warm, not harsh, but in 0-level), and so clean. We can hear every small music detail. People voice and instruments are so true. They can play very loud. Jamo were worst in every aspects of sound! :blink: Piano Black finish speakers look luxurious in real life, not cheap like in WWW. On JBLs we can listen music very long, and we are not tired, because frequency response is flat, the trebles are detaile, but not harsh, sooner silky. I think they're fabulous. I want to listen 250ti too, but it is so difficult in my country, and old model is more expensive. Sorry for my bad English ;).

hjames
09-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Ok, lets make it even crazier!!
here's ANOTHER semi-clone of the L250 series ... sort of ...

I was scanning ebay for JBL TI and ran across THIS model for sale in the UK ...

They just had one picture, and not many other details -
its apparently a UK audio resale shop ...
I'm not trying to drum up business for them so I didn't post a link
(their sale ends in less than a day anyway)

but how interesting - a 3 way version of the pyramid with sharp edges!
Looks kinda like Everest style deep-shine wood finish in that picture.

JBL TI 3000 LOUDSPEAKERS
RRP: £2500
Condition: Near Mint (cabinets and drive units in mint condition)
Finish: Black/Rosewood tint
S/N: 335
Original boxes and manuals included.

JBL 4645
05-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I like that black shine on the enclosure. :)

Kinder like Darth Vader’s helmet when there placed side by side it kinder does look like Darth Vader’s helmet.:D